Pattern Reviews> Butterick> 4914 (Maggy London Dress)

Reviewed by:drsue

About drsuestarstarstarstar
Member since: 11/11/03
Sewing skills:Beginner

Posted on:2/9/07 1:35 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 17 people
Soliel said... (4/14/07 10:54 AM) Reply
Cool, Dr. Sue. Love your reviews. You must have so much fun wearing your creations to work! Cecil...what I do to make the neckline higher is simply cross the bodice more. In your case, it shouldn't have to cross much for the intended purpose. After your bodice is re crossed, you need to adjust the bottom piece the same amount. I do this because I have a small bust. Hope this helps.
MelissaB in WA said... (3/24/07 1:00 PM) Reply
Your dress is spectular Dr. Sue - I really need this pattern!! :-)
MissCelie said... (3/19/07 12:01 PM) Reply
Wow. That's fantastic.
LiZ said... (3/10/07 1:00 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress.
KarmenG said... (3/9/07 5:37 PM) Reply
Love this - looks like a great dress!
AnneM said... (2/19/07 1:13 PM) Reply
Great dress, Susan. I'll have to consider this, since my build is somewhat like yours (but larger). Great info in your review.
cathy45 said... (2/13/07 9:24 AM) Reply
Beautiful job, drsue. A classic dress. Especially found your alteration info very helpful.
OP Gal said... (2/10/07 10:59 PM) Reply
Classy dress, drsue. Thanks for all the details in the review.
Barbara V said... (2/10/07 10:41 AM) Reply
I was very interested to read all of your helpful tips for this pattern. I am planning to sew it as well and will refer back to your comments. Great job on fabric sellection and construction! Thanks for reviewing.
Vonnevo said... (2/10/07 8:58 AM) Reply
Beatiful drsue !!
Schnauzer said... (2/9/07 10:54 PM) Reply
What a lovely dress. The gathers show up beautifully!
Jennifer shaw said... (2/9/07 10:22 PM) Reply
Gorgeous dress, drsue! Do you find that the Maggy London dresses are a better style for petites? Thank you for another inspirational review.
Riordan said... (2/9/07 8:28 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress! The gathers are lovely.
drsue said... (2/9/07 8:04 PM) Reply
Leora: I used 11 oz fabric. Cecile: You can definetly alter these necklines. If you realize that you don't need strait lines on the V-front parts, and curve them, you can probably make it work. I'd find a pattern you like and play with this. I did do this sort of thing on this pattern, but not quite as drastically as you want to do.
Cecile Owens said... (2/9/07 7:54 PM) Reply
I have been looking at necklines like this (also found in Diane von Furstenberg wrap styles) for myself but have a relatively long and nasty scar from from a bypass that I would prefer not to expose. Does anyone know how to make an alteration to raise the V of the neckline? My scar starts about an inch or so below the hollow of my neck. This particular pattern might not be the one I would choose because my waistline has increased, too. This is a lovely project & review. I would like to be able to make this or something like it and still have it be attractive for my figure. Any ideas would be appreciated.
CarolynGM said... (2/9/07 4:33 PM) Reply
Looks like an extremely figure-flattering dress.
Lisette said... (2/9/07 4:18 PM) Reply
I just took out a grey knit to prepare for this pattern!Yours looks great thanks for the construction and fitting tips.
Evatgirl73 said... (2/9/07 2:56 PM) Reply
Wow! That dress is gorgeous! I have this pattern, you just bumped it!! :)
Leora said... (2/9/07 2:45 PM) Reply
Wow, that is a great looking dress. Did you use 11oz or 14oz rayon lycra? Thanks for the review.
ladybegood said... (2/9/07 2:19 PM) Reply
Thanks for the tips. Your dress turned out beautifully.
Karla Kizer said... (2/9/07 1:44 PM) Reply
I used a rather feeble knit for this one and had to use a spandex midriff stay and take out oodles of width in the gathered midriff section. Even now, I'm not sure I've got it right. But it's a nice design and I'd like to repeat it in a better fabric - like yours. Nice dress!

SewBaby Zippy Bunting Pattern