Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 7302

About Nanstarstar

Posted on:12/23/02 1:23 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 8 people
MilongueraThreads said... (3/17/08 2:05 PM) Reply
Did you draft a lining pattern for this or use a different pattern? I'm making this out of a sheer fabric that will require a lining and I'm debating how to do this. . . .
Nan said... (1/3/03 2:13 PM) Reply
Julia, thanks for the nice words. I made this last year, I had included it in the album as an example of embellishment. As I recall, I made the dress pretty much according to the pattern. The trim is a rayon seam binding (black) which I found in NYC; I used hemstitching and a feather stitch as further embellishment. If you make the dress check the placement of the holes for the wrap around ties to be sure they hit you right. Nan
Julia Graham said... (1/3/03 12:36 PM) Reply
Nan, your Vogue 9988 is GORGEOUS!! I am so impressed. I can't find it on Vogue's web-site, but even so I'd be interested to learn more about it if you ever choose to review that pattern...
Nan said... (1/2/03 3:57 AM) Reply
Ann, I've made both of these views in wovens of various weights. View A can be wonderful in a duppioni; I made one in white with just a very small embroidery stitch along the neck edge; its great with the right jeans for a summer party...The version w/ this skirt was a wool tweed w/ metallic threads. I've made it in silk charmeuse several times; and cottons--probably at least 8 times total. Can't wait to see your new versions!
Ann Smith said... (1/2/03 3:40 AM) Reply
Nan, your wardrobe is fabulous. Such incredible fabrics. I made just the view A of Vogue 9772 but now that I see yours I will have to make it again along with view B in a sheer.
Sew Jane said... (12/24/02 11:30 PM) Reply
Thanks for the tips Nan!
Nan said... (12/23/02 7:09 PM) Reply
Thanks guys. I wore it Sat night (yes, I sewed up to the very last minute!! my oldest friend was at the party and was wise to my ways, knew I had just finished it...the men seemed to like this outfit too--usually they just don't notice as we've discussed.) I've reviewed the top before (Vogue 9772). Its a great pattern--has a camisole and this bias tank. I used the chiffon to bind the armhole and neck edges. Jane, silk chiffon isn't that bad if you just slow down. I ignored my sewing machine "advisor" which wanted to use a very small stitch--instead sewed w/ 2.5-3.0 mm stitch lengths. Smaller needles--quilting or microtex 70 or 75 are best w/ this fabric. I did not use silk thread, just a metrosene. I did not find it too slippery to cut, as long as you use weights (I'd hate to mess w/ this with scissors). If you use the fusible tape, use the lightweight version. Merry to all Nan
KiminMD said... (12/23/02 1:37 PM) Reply
Nan, This came out really really great. I'm sure it will look lovely on you.
Gigi Louis said... (12/23/02 11:39 AM) Reply
Wow! Absolutely gorgeous!
Deepika said... (12/23/02 10:21 AM) Reply
Nan, I love this outfit. You are such an inspiration!
Sew Jane said... (12/23/02 10:13 AM) Reply
Wow! wonderful results from what sounds like "Indiana Jones" type sewing! Thanks for all the tips. Do you have any hints for sewing on silk chiffon (someday I'd like to work up the courage to try it)?
mudcat said... (12/23/02 10:06 AM) Reply
Nan, the outfit is lovely. I like the fabric you used for the top.
Rhonda Noah said... (12/23/02 8:12 AM) Reply
Absolutely gorgeous! Boy, you have a designer's eye for picking patterns and fabric for the perfect marriage. Wonderful results in your sewing, too. I love this skirt!
katharin said... (12/23/02 7:01 AM) Reply
A very nice skirt! I like your whole wardrobe!
Dale C said... (12/23/02 6:24 AM) Reply
Nice! and so are the new additions to your photo album.
Nan said... (12/23/02 3:11 AM) Reply
Kitty, it is just at/slightly below the knee. Arlene, thanks. I don't intend to wear these pieces together--I think head to toe gold denim is a bit too Hollywood for me. But I love the fabric, so I made both pieces to wear with other separates. Nan
starlene said... (12/23/02 3:01 AM) Reply
Nice job Nan, I also like your gold denim pant suit.
Kitty said... (12/23/02 2:39 AM) Reply
That is a lovely combination !! Where does the skirt hit you in the leg? Is it knee length or longer and is it easily alterable for length?

by: SuzyBee

DVD - Will this fabric work for you?

DVD - Will this fabric work for you?

Sew Liberated Clara Dress Pattern