Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 2870 (oscar de la renta jacket/skirt)

Reviewed by:Nikki

About Nikkistarstarstarstar
MD USA
Member since: 4/8/02
Posted on:2/22/07 0:48 AM
Last Updated:2/22/07 0:48 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 4 people    Very Helpful by 21 people
Michelle in Oaktown said... (6/7/07 6:36 PM) Reply
I'm late to the party, but wanted to thank you for the detailed review. This pattern is in my stash and I had planned to sew it this summer (in anticipation of autumn) in a stout tweed; thank you for the caution on the fabric thickness, I will try it in a wool flannel, instead.
aunt saidee said... (4/10/07 0:02 AM) Reply
Forgot to say that so often when I admire a design I find that it is by Oscar de La Renta.
aunt saidee said... (4/10/07 0:01 AM) Reply
Beautiful Jacket and wonderful tailoring. I have this pattern just because I like the style: not sure I will ever make it. I remember liking the skirt...and liking it as a suit. I wonder if I had lived in the forties whether I would have had a life that required wearing suits other than to church?!
AnneM said... (4/5/07 6:35 PM) Reply
That's a nice style on you, I think, Nikki. You could certainly make it again with trim that blends; it would not be as distinctive.
nicegirl said... (3/1/07 9:09 AM) Reply
Wow! I don't know how I missed this the first time around but it's very impressive. 19 buttons! Dang.
miri said... (2/23/07 9:09 AM) Reply
Your jacket looks terrific despite the challenges. Two things that might be causing the sleeves to twist: First, they look a little long, which might be the result of the back alteration you made (the shoulders look a little wide too). You could try lifting them by adding small shoulder pads—pin them in to see if they help. If you make the jacket again, you could shorten the sleeves wherever the pattern indicates you should. Second, the sleeves might be cut slightly off grain. That would cause them to twist (same thing happens to pants legs cut off grain). Could be the fault of the pattern.
Schnauzer said... (2/23/07 1:11 AM) Reply
Lovely jacket Nikki!
Ody said... (2/23/07 0:50 AM) Reply
Wonderful jacket and it looks super on you.
Chris Kelly said... (2/23/07 0:05 AM) Reply
Love this jacket...very nice. Thanks for review!
Cheryl Reeves said... (2/22/07 11:43 PM) Reply
I love your jacket.
CSY said... (2/22/07 6:50 PM) Reply
Beautiful look on you. Nicely done.
jnamcd said... (2/22/07 5:58 PM) Reply
This jacket looks really nice on you!
Judy Wentz said... (2/22/07 5:39 PM) Reply
Awesome!!!
Tany said... (2/22/07 4:53 PM) Reply
Beautiful! You did a wonderful job!
Cecile Owens said... (2/22/07 4:50 PM) Reply
I have had this pattern for a while and am so thrilled to see it made up. I think you did a wonderful job with it. So far, I have the buttons for it. I picked them up at a local fabric outlet that has left-overs and rejects from clothing manufacturers. They have a big bin w/all kind of buttons that you have to dig around in to find matching ones-most are plastic, which I avoid but I covet the metal ones. I agree with the comments on the back of your jacket, but I also agree that comfort is important. I'm wondering if the alteration is pronounced because of the interfacing. What did you use to interface? I love the look of this jacket and am so glad to see and read you terrific revue. Thanks
LorelleD said... (2/22/07 4:50 PM) Reply
Great jacket. It looks really good on you.
Re Becca said... (2/22/07 3:07 PM) Reply
Looks good. You did a great job on the binding. I have tried this once and mine wasn't nearly as even and straight as your. That whole jacket and skirt yardage together thing annoys me too!
Heatherrique said... (2/22/07 2:32 PM) Reply
Gorgeous jacket, Nikki! Very chic and unique!
Seamingly Simple said... (2/22/07 2:01 PM) Reply
Your jacket looks great. Nineteen buttons! Good thing you don't have to button them all.
Nikki said... (2/22/07 12:37 PM) Reply
Thank everyone! Fuzzy and Ann, the broad back alteration seemed to work well in the muslin, so I left it in - I like a little extra ease in the back anyway :)
Karla Kizer said... (2/22/07 12:30 PM) Reply
Nikki, you must have the best jacket wardrobe on PR. This one is a great addition. Congratulations!
Puddin Pop said... (2/22/07 11:28 AM) Reply
That is one smart jacket. Oh, I would be so proud, if I made it. I love brown and I love the binding and all the buttons. It is beautiful.
joan said... (2/22/07 10:40 AM) Reply
Good job, and you now have a very up-to-date jacket. You were very brave to work a welt pocket in tweed. Lots of style and it looks very nice on you.
Leslie in Austin said... (2/22/07 10:39 AM) Reply
What a lovely jacket, Nikki! Kudos for beating that pretty fabric into submission.
Mufffet said... (2/22/07 10:37 AM) Reply
You do such nice work. Great looking and great fitting jacket!
CarolynGM said... (2/22/07 10:32 AM) Reply
Very elegant and smoothly fitting jacket.
mrspenguin said... (2/22/07 10:32 AM) Reply
Very stylish! Well done. I can't imagine sewing so many buttons on one garment but they sure finish it nicely.
slanden99 said... (2/22/07 10:22 AM) Reply
Nice jacket! You did an excellent job on it
Frogstitcher said... (2/22/07 10:20 AM) Reply
Very nice, indeed. I have this pattern as well and you have inspired me to get it out and do some planning. I have bookmarked your review for the time when I start mine so, thank you for this review.
cindy-lou said... (2/22/07 9:42 AM) Reply
Nikki, this jacket is so pretty and looks so polished. Wonderful, gorgeous work!
cecelia said... (2/22/07 9:42 AM) Reply
Beautiful coat--I really like all the asymmetry in it. You did a very nice job and looks like you got a good fit too.
Lynngray said... (2/22/07 9:02 AM) Reply
Looks great. You did a wonderful job
PegL said... (2/22/07 8:45 AM) Reply
Beautiful jacket!
GorgeousFabrics said... (2/22/07 7:32 AM) Reply
Love the jacket! I agree with Fuzzy. I thought when I saw the picture of the back that you should start with a size 10, but maybe just leaving out the broad back alt would take care of it. -Ann
fuzzygalore said... (2/22/07 3:54 AM) Reply
This is really cool! I don't think you needed a broad back alteration however, those vertical drag lines near the armholes look like the back should be narrower. But while I understand your thoughts when you look at the thick binding, I see a final result that's just stunning.
yorkshire lass said... (2/22/07 3:15 AM) Reply
Absolutely gorgeous. Really love it and you look stunning in it, bet you get loads of compliments on this one when you wear it to work.
Vonnevo said... (2/22/07 2:38 AM) Reply
Love your jacket and the style suits you very well :))
Kay Romo said... (2/22/07 2:29 AM) Reply
Beautiful!
Marji said... (2/22/07 1:50 AM) Reply
Love that jacket. You did a nice job with it, even with the challenges.
Linda G said... (2/22/07 1:25 AM) Reply
Beautiful...and nice review
Knerse said... (2/22/07 1:00 AM) Reply
Hardly even notice the twisted sleeve (sounds like a rock band, doesn't it?), the shaping looks fantastic. Great job on what sounds like a fussy piece.
EastwoodFan said... (2/22/07 0:58 AM) Reply
Your skills are impeccable. I would never attempt this. It's really beautiful. I too get peeved when they lump two garments into the yardage requirements. Great job! and thanks for sharing the good info.

9 inch Bent Handle Scissors