Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 8199 (Bathing-Suit & Hip-hugger pant)

Reviewed by:aggiebear

About aggiebear
KS USA
Member since: 4/19/06
Posted on:3/3/07 7:47 PM
Last Updated:3/3/07 7:53 PM

MissCelie said... (2/25/15 9:16 AM) Reply
I just wanted to tell you that I showed my mom this review when you first posted and she asked me to make her one. I tracked down the pattern and never got around to it. But, I'm planning on sewing it for myself this year. So, thank you for the review!
Melody T. said... (5/25/09 2:03 PM) Reply
That is so cute! I might track it down and make it in my size.
sewsewsew said... (8/6/07 9:59 PM) Reply
Congratulations! It looks lovely!
sewing for fun said... (5/10/07 12:13 PM) Reply
Thanks for the review, it looks great! I actually have a copy of the same pattern and was considering sewing it up but wondered if it would look silly on me. Yours looks great! My sister had a similar style in white eyelet when she was 13 and it was beautiful. You have inspired me to try, although I am not looking forward to trying to a full bust adj on this one - I don't want to fall out of the top. Thanks!!!
sewing for fun said... (5/10/07 12:10 PM) Reply
Thanks for the review, it looks great! I actually have a copy of the same pattern and was considering sewing it up. You have inspired me to try, although I am not looking forward to trying to a full bust adj on this one - I don't want to fall out of the top. Thanks!!!
gatorgirl4325 said... (3/5/07 1:51 PM) Reply
You are NOT old! Your suit looks fabulous! Thanks for sharing your story - I think you should make another one.
Heatherrique said... (3/4/07 2:46 PM) Reply
Wow! You look classy and sizzling hot in that one! What fun to read your review You are joking, right? 55? You really look much younger than that! Watch out Pam Anderson! We have here a hot beach babe who certainly looked good at 17 and still good, but better at 55!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Soliel said... (3/4/07 11:11 AM) Reply
I did a lot of looking at swimsuit patterns of late and there are some modern patterns, that use spandex, that are conservative. One that comes to mind is a skirted one, with a fairly big skirt for a swim suit. Having said that, I think retro suits are the cutest ever! You don't get as much sun (I think the sun can be healing) BUT you get so much STYLE and design. I purchased a 40's "play suit" kind of pattern that can be a shorts set or swim suit. Love love love it. Your suit is very cute. Don't call yourself old!
aggiebear said... (3/4/07 10:14 AM) Reply
Thanks so much for all the nice comments. It is a 'for sure' that I will sew another version of this swimsuit in a very different fabric for this summer. I must say I feel SO much better in it that in the stick-to-your-ribs spandex.
MissCelie said... (3/4/07 8:51 AM) Reply
This would be fabulous for my mom who also haates the newer swimsuits. You did an outstanding job.
Robbie Jo said... (3/4/07 7:54 AM) Reply
No worries, you look great (from one 55 yo to another) Love the suit and the story. I spend a LOT of time at the beach in the summer and trust me, you look great.
cindy-lou said... (3/4/07 7:42 AM) Reply
This suit is *far* from dorky! You'll get a lot of "where'd you get your suit?" comments this summer. You are right-- swimsuits are a racket-- the price is inversely proportional to the amount of fabric used. Most of them are probably $300 a yard (100 bucks, 1/3 yard of fabric). And the fit you acheived beats them all hands down!
aggiebear said... (3/4/07 7:40 AM) Reply
Linda G...what a hoot that you made the same pattern. I made two versions of the pattern in 1969. The one I remade and the one that has a semi-sheer apron which is the one that I liked the best for that summer so long ago. I was SO excited to have found the pattern.
aggiebear said... (3/4/07 7:38 AM) Reply
brrmm, the cotton does take a while to dry out, that is true. The pants fit like a glove and are not pouchy at all. They have a zipper in the back which allows them to fit quite nicely. Thanks for the nice compliment...actually a bit of a shock to remake a pattern that you wore when you were 18 and to have it look so different! Ah, the wonders of starting to get older!
brrmm said... (3/4/07 6:52 AM) Reply
aggiebear, I make lots of swimwear for myself and my daughters and I love to see interesting patterns like this one. Your togs(as we call them here) look very retro and groovy - I really love them. I have 2 questions though - if made from cotton, how long does it take to dry out...and...are the pants kinda "pouchy"? I'm not your age yet, but I do envy your figure there - all is good girl!
Helen near Sydney said... (3/4/07 3:56 AM) Reply
Wowee, what a fascinating review. Makes me want to give it a go because as you said there's really not a lot out there and I just about live at the beach in summer. I'd love to live there in something a little more interesting.....
SewTwin said... (3/4/07 2:45 AM) Reply
BRAVO Amigo! I have been wanting to do a swimsuit, and pattern review. I have only seen twenty, thirty somethings. Zella is right, you don't look 55. I will be 55 my next birthday, so I don't think that is so-o old, either. I use the Moisturizing tanners before I get out in public in the summer. I love your suit, hope I can even come close!
Linda G said... (3/4/07 0:07 AM) Reply
I am 55 and was a senior in 1969 and I had that swim suit too!!!!! I am trying to think of what fabric I used. Thanks for bringing back memories. No you do NOT look dorky!...you look great..
sewfan said... (3/3/07 9:41 PM) Reply
Love the suit and the fabric! I think you look great in it!! Pam
jessika said... (3/3/07 9:32 PM) Reply
Very cute. you did a great job.
zella said... (3/3/07 9:14 PM) Reply
oh my gosh! I HAD that suit in the 1960's. Mine was purchased - I think the brand was Villager. Floral print cotton, and the skirt attached with a Velcro band under the bra. It's a darling suit, you look great in it, and honey, you're not old.
JenSews2 said... (3/3/07 8:54 PM) Reply
Beautiful fabric and great suit! Love it!

by: catintheha...