Pattern Reviews> McCall's> 5314 (Misses' Wrap Dress)

Reviewed by:nicegirl

About nicegirlstarstarstarstar
DC USA
Member since: 5/10/06
Posted on:3/4/07 12:19 PM
Last Updated:5/5/08 1:58 PM

EveS said... (5/6/08 0:39 AM) Reply
Oh, this version is just KILLER! What an incredible fabric!!!
vespabelle said... (5/5/08 11:15 PM) Reply
luv it! I was totally inspired to make my muslin of htis pattern into a top. The green version is just gorgeous!
Pinkhibiscus said... (5/5/08 9:46 PM) Reply
what a versatile pattern. very nice top!!
Kaitlinnegan said... (5/5/08 8:45 PM) Reply
Wow, your new top looks great. Seeing all the different looks you got out of just this one pattern is really inspirational. Just lovely - all of them!
Heatherrique said... (5/5/08 8:12 PM) Reply
Stunning blouse: enticing color, chic style and wonderfully constructed! I'll borrow your idea of making a blouse instead of a dress!
Meggie LuLu said... (5/5/08 8:04 PM) Reply
All of those are ADORABLE!!!! You are an excellent seamstress. I love seeing all of your work!!!!
lilyofthevalley said... (5/5/08 3:38 PM) Reply
Nicegirl, I'm positively wild about your latest version blouse. Fabric, perfect. Collar and puff sleeves, charming and completely suited to your trim frame; but the origami trim is making me crazy! Trying desperately to figure out where on my body I could add it, without adding too many more lumps to the overall silhouette. There must be a way, and your tutorial will take me there. Thanks very much for that. You look gorgeous. -Lily
pinkli said... (5/5/08 3:30 PM) Reply
What a lovely job you made of this gorgeous top. Good for you! i love how it matches your dress form too. You make origami look so easy too!
Karen6790 said... (5/5/08 3:19 PM) Reply
Once again, I love what you did, and I WANT the fabric. Why didn't I see that at Paron's at PR Weekend? I would have bought a few yards of it myself. Looks great.
Dmd4106 said... (9/12/07 5:10 PM) Reply
Excellent job. I luv yr styling details. Cidell is far better friend that I would ever be :-). Great review as well. We can't wait to see what goodies u bring back frm Greece.!
Soliel said... (9/2/07 3:27 PM) Reply
I really enjoyed looking at all your pics. I especially like the hot pink ribbon dress and the top you made with this pattern. Thank you for showing me, someone who has a very similar figure as you, how we can wear fitted white pants with a top like this and make it work. Sexy!
Sigrid. said... (9/2/07 11:01 AM) Reply
Fabulous dress.
cindy-lou said... (9/1/07 11:52 AM) Reply
Gorgeous, trena! You and cidell need to go out for great drinks at a hip restaurant. Have a wonderful birthday-- you're aging like fine wine! :)
Grammy Gin said... (9/1/07 10:28 AM) Reply
You are just so talented! Hope you had a nice birthday & are having a wonderful vacation. Your dress is beautiful, btw.
narcissaqtpie said... (8/31/07 10:03 PM) Reply
oh my that is soooo cute! Love the boots too!
carolynw said... (8/31/07 9:48 PM) Reply
Have a wonderful birthday and hope you enjoy your holiday as the news from Greece isn't all that good - however, my hairdresser is Greek and he says all is well. Looking forward to hearing from you when you get back - as said "enjoy' - DH and I loved it there.
Heatherrique said... (8/31/07 8:12 PM) Reply
Feliz compleanos, muchacha bonita! Tu vestida es muy linda! I am at a loss for words! What a breathtaking creation from such a stunning fabric (Thanks Cidell!). The girls at the party can only wish they have your adorable outfits! Enjoy your vacation!
DorothyK said... (8/31/07 7:14 PM) Reply
What a great job. The dress is fantastic. Your meticulous attention to detail pays off. Happy birthday, and have a great trip.
hongkongshopper said... (8/31/07 5:53 PM) Reply
Happy birthday! Love the birthday dress. Love the pink and grey dress even more! Great job!
frame said... (8/31/07 2:22 PM) Reply
Absolutely lovely. Happy Birthday!
Stacy Sews said... (8/31/07 2:04 PM) Reply
Wow, what a dress! Fantastic design placement.
moss said... (8/31/07 1:54 PM) Reply
25/hour is cheap cheap cheap... You would need to charge much more to really give them a sense of the sacrifice :)
Christina Sonja said... (8/31/07 1:13 PM) Reply
Wow. I'm speechless. Cutting it in a single layer really paid off.
ELizabeth_Atl said... (8/31/07 1:07 PM) Reply
You are so talented and creative, I tip my hat. Thank you for the detailed review. Oh and $25/hr for 6 hours plus materials, still puts the dress at around $200. A steal for custom couture! : )
Tini said... (8/31/07 11:32 AM) Reply
gorgeous!
OP Gal said... (8/31/07 11:00 AM) Reply
Magnificent dress. Wonderful placement of the motif. Congratulations on an excellent job. Oh, and happy birthday!
MissCelie said... (8/31/07 10:24 AM) Reply
Oh. Ok. So, um, having some giver's remorse in only the best sense. I totally pictured this fabric as this dress. Gah. It's fantastic.
Sharon M said... (8/31/07 8:33 AM) Reply
Happy Birthday! What a wonderful birthday gift! And a great use of fabric. All I can say is "WOW"!
AnitaJ said... (8/31/07 6:33 AM) Reply
Great birthday dress! Definitely worthy of your special fabric and worth the effort you put into this project. Happy Birthday and enjoy Greece! :)
Huldra said... (8/31/07 6:24 AM) Reply
Wonderful dress! I think you matched the print really well. Happy birthday, btw. :)
morzel said... (8/31/07 3:34 AM) Reply
Well, happy birthday to you then! Lucky you, getting such wonderful fabric. And worth it, as you turn it into a wonderful dress!
Marji said... (4/29/07 7:21 AM) Reply
great dress, and you Really made this pattern work for you.
janella said... (4/29/07 6:24 AM) Reply
thanks!!! :)
carolynw said... (4/28/07 6:46 PM) Reply
Nopt sure how I missed this review - love the top - looks good and thanks for all the tips on the problems and useful solutions
nicegirl said... (4/28/07 10:10 AM) Reply
Hi Janella-I'm 5' 1.5" so you look like a giraffe compared to me. `-) I didn't shorten the bodice per se, though my SBA took a little length out of it. A pic of the altered front pattern piece is linked above, which might help you.
janella said... (4/28/07 1:57 AM) Reply
looks wonderful! How tall are you? I'm 5ft3 and am trying to work out if this pattern will be ok even though it is not a petite. I can shorten the length but was wondering about where the waist ends up/length of bodice.
LiZ said... (4/4/07 12:39 PM) Reply
Ffabulous dress.
Soliel said... (4/4/07 10:14 AM) Reply
Thanks for showing me this...I almost bought this pattern but didn't because it seemed too shirtdress, like. But I can see, from your review, how feminine it is. Thanks!
HenriettenDK said... (3/14/07 4:24 PM) Reply
Fab!
cathy45 said... (3/7/07 9:17 AM) Reply
Great review! I really appreciated seeing the photos of your pattern adjustments.
nicegirl said... (3/5/07 10:09 PM) Reply
Thank you everyone! Of course now it's too cold to wear this, but hopefully by next week I can wear it to work. AnneM--it's not a matter of going to need a new closet, I already need a new one! And I have a big walk in one. Not to mention the good sized closet in my sewing room, which is devoted exclusively to costumes and dress up clothes. I can't imagine what I would do if I had to share a closet with someone.
AnneM said... (3/5/07 9:12 PM) Reply
I've decided you are going to need a new closet with all the clothing you have been sewing. Fun dress, and it will span a number of seasons, I think.
jnamcd said... (3/5/07 5:33 PM) Reply
Great job!! I'm behind in checking out what has been going on here! Anyways--you really worked hard on this--so many alterations--but really worth it! I think the muslin is cute too--I like the colors! And I loved the story about everyone wanting you to make one for them--great comebacks! Great review!
Marhamner said... (3/5/07 9:59 AM) Reply
Beautiful dress! Good job!
ryan's mom said... (3/5/07 7:00 AM) Reply
Super! Email your pics to the pattern company so they can use one of your photos on the pattern envelope :) ! I love how you dealt with the make-one-for-me comments.
LorelleD said... (3/5/07 2:31 AM) Reply
You have style. You always make nice clothes. Thanks for the informative review.
cindy-lou said... (3/4/07 9:29 PM) Reply
I have the Simplicity version of this pattern and hope mine can look as nice in yellow eyelet as yours does in suiting fabric!
Vonnevo said... (3/4/07 7:05 PM) Reply
Fabulous Nicegirl !!!
Sew4Fun said... (3/4/07 7:02 PM) Reply
Nice dress and top.
Gsd said... (3/4/07 6:45 PM) Reply
I was very happy to see another review for this dress I'm hoping to make this next. I love the dress and it looks great on you.
Tiner W said... (3/4/07 5:21 PM) Reply
It's so beautiful!
Kay Romo said... (3/4/07 4:48 PM) Reply
Really just too cute!
madhatter said... (3/4/07 2:10 PM) Reply
Very beautiful!
Nancy K said... (3/4/07 1:30 PM) Reply
Really nice dress! Looks great on you too which is always a good thing!
Lisette said... (3/4/07 1:08 PM) Reply
Great looking dress.
HawkeMorningStar7 said... (3/4/07 12:48 PM) Reply
Really cool dress. Great tips on alterations...I need do those too re small bust. Great results !!

Decades of Style 3009