Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 7468 (Claire Shaeffer Couture Pants)

Reviewed by:Nikki

About Nikkistarstarstarstar
MD USA
Member since: 4/8/02
Posted on:1/4/03 9:27 PM
Last Updated:1/4/03 9:27 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 24 people
See other patterns in this category: Pants
Nikki said... (1/24/03 2:43 PM) Reply
Barbara, the coat is on my to-do shortlist, but I haven't started yet - I've had some silk/wool tweed blend for about a year now - I might start working on it in the next two weeks, tho! I suppose I ought to make a muslin before chopping up my fabric.
Barbara V said... (1/24/03 1:41 PM) Reply
Nikki, I enjoyed seeing your fine sewing skills in constructing these pants and reading about the couture methods that you used. Have you started the CS coat yet? I'm curious because I have this pattern (7539) and recently bought wool at Britex Fabric, San Francisco and have ordered Bemberg lining as well as hair canvas for this project. I noticed that Hellenne Vermillion made comment about a tip regarding laying out the back piece on the grain which came from a Claire Shaeffer workshop. I wonder if there are other tips that you, Hellenne or anyone else can share regarding this pattern. Again, congratuations on your pants!
Nikki said... (1/5/03 11:00 PM) Reply
Marcie, I don't know how to alter the pleats to a flat front myself - but I bet you could just use the waistband and fly methods on a different pattern that has the look that you want otherwise. Thanks for the tip about the coat Hellenne!
susanbb said... (1/5/03 10:51 PM) Reply
Nikki, as everyone else agrees, this is great. I just wanted to add that I admire the effort that went into this and that you are selecting challenging pieces that make/help you grow. Congratulations on a job incredibly well done!
Debbie Spriggs said... (1/5/03 5:34 PM) Reply
Absolutely spectacular! These pants are a very impressive effort, and the fit looks wonderful! I agree with the others, you are way past being a beginner.
Teri said... (1/5/03 5:30 PM) Reply
Nikki, I don't think you need to wait for the coat to change your profile. Your pants are beautiful and I am very, very impressed!
Charee M. said... (1/5/03 2:53 PM) Reply
Nikki, the pants look great! The style reminds me of Katherine Hepburn's pants in Philidelphia Story. I have been looking for a pattern to make them. Thanks for the through review.
artistwhosews said... (1/5/03 2:21 PM) Reply
Great job Nikki! If you do the CS coat (pinkish plaid one), CS said at her workshop that the back pieces' grainline needs to be changed to the straight of grain running in the middle of pattern from neck to hem (vs. straight of grain parallel to the CB seam). This prevents the coat from drooping at the side seams.
Diane E said... (1/5/03 2:13 PM) Reply
Nikki, your pants are beautiful and the review extremely helpful and thorough. The waistband and fly look like something you would find on fine couture house pants! Thank you for taking the time to describe your methods and what you liked and didn't like about the pattern. I am in awe of the perseverance it took to stay with this project for a week, a few hours at a time. What a great way to approach a daunting project.
Linda E. said... (1/5/03 10:41 AM) Reply
WOW beautiful pants you are a brave soul to attempt these. I think I must have this pattern but I have to wait to sew them I am losing weight and want them when i reach my goal.
Rhonda Noah said... (1/5/03 10:18 AM) Reply
Great review Nikki. Love your pants fabric and they fit great. Heck, anyone who sews with couture techniques is advanced in my opinion! ;-)
Dale C said... (1/5/03 5:49 AM) Reply
WOnderful review, beautiful pants. Definitely not done by a beginner :) This is a great pattern with those couture techniques. I have it and want to get to it soon, especially after seeing the reviews by you and Ann. Can hardly wait till I can work on mine!
starlene said... (1/5/03 3:07 AM) Reply
Great job Nikki!
Deepika said... (1/5/03 2:18 AM) Reply
oh my god Nikki! those pants are just too good. And I agree with others, you must edit your profile and change your sewing level. No way can you call yourself a beginner. I know it's hard to step up cause I must have thought for a long time before I finally took the plunge and changed my sewing level to intermediate. You however should change it to advanced. Ok I think I should stop now... this is getting way too long ;-)
Everyday Sewist said... (1/5/03 1:54 AM) Reply
Nikki, your pants look beautiful and thank you for writing such a helpful review.
SouthernStitch said... (1/5/03 1:41 AM) Reply
Gorgeous, Nikki --simply beautiful fit, fabric and sewing. Congrats, you must be very proud of these pants, they will last you many years.
mjl said... (1/5/03 1:40 AM) Reply
Do you think one could make flat front pants using this pattern? I like the straight legs and waistband, front fly treatment of this pattern. Besides leaving out the darts, what other adjustments would one need to make. BTW the pants look great. Nice job!
Lori V said... (1/5/03 1:23 AM) Reply
What great pants - you did a fantastic job. I am so impressed
Nikki said... (1/5/03 0:59 AM) Reply
Thanks for the compliments, everyone. :) I actually had a specific project in mind as the 'threshold' between beginner and intermediate - one of the other CS patterns, the coat. It is hopefully on the schedule for this winter, as I have finally assembled all of the needed bits and pieces.
Lisa Laree said... (1/4/03 10:58 PM) Reply
As I was reading this, I thought "This is great! She needs to upgrade her sewing level!" I see I'm not the only one with this opinion...it looks like it's unanimous! Excellent review, BTW; these pants are in my 'to try' stack...gotta get to them...
said... (1/4/03 10:23 PM) Reply
Awesome pants! Another gotta-have-it pattern. Definitely not beginner sewing, Nikki! They look just perfect.
Ann B. said... (1/4/03 10:16 PM) Reply
These are beautiful pants Nikki. The fit and construction are both so perfect.
Gloria Allender said... (1/4/03 9:48 PM) Reply
Nikki, I am impressed with your efforts. And I agree, you should change your profile. You are definitely not a beginner if you made these pants.
Gigi Louis said... (1/4/03 9:46 PM) Reply
Oops, I meant change your profile.
Gigi Louis said... (1/4/03 9:45 PM) Reply
Wow Nikki! Your pants look wonderful. I agree, you need to change your rating. :-)
GorgeousFabrics said... (1/4/03 9:36 PM) Reply
Nikki, you have to change your profile - you're not a beginner! The pants look fabulous. This is one of my favorite patterns, and I have made it several times now. -Ann

by: missyyz