Online Sewing Class: Clone Your Favorite Garment

Pattern Reviews> Master Pattern Book> Making Leather Handbags (Cellphone Case)

Reviewed by:Deepika

About Deepikastarstarstarstar
MA United States
Member since: 11/28/01
Posted on:3/15/07 11:51 AM

Leora said... (3/17/07 1:38 AM) Reply
That Vogue pattern has been on my list since you wrote that review. It seemed like a good way to get into leather until you wrote THIS review! I love your clever cell phone case. Thanks for the inspiration.
Annette1 said... (3/16/07 9:33 PM) Reply
VERY nice! I admire anybody who tackles leather. :o)
Markie1 said... (3/16/07 2:16 PM) Reply
Deepika--This is gorgeous. The cellphone holder adds that extra detail that all those insanely expensive purses have. As always, I am inspired to push myself again. Thanks!
OP Gal said... (3/16/07 11:40 AM) Reply
Very chic! I admire your courage in sewing leather. I'm still chicken!
Katharine in BXL said... (3/16/07 9:51 AM) Reply
And the handbag obsession continues! You are *so* good at making these. I have that book and never would have dreamed the projects could look so good. The swivel hook and wristlet are brilliant innovations! Brava, amiga.
Deepika said... (3/16/07 9:33 AM) Reply
Penelope and Fatbaby I just used my regular sewing machine - Janome 4800 with 2.8 as the stitch length. Nancy The bag is Vogue 8140.
fatbaby said... (3/16/07 8:53 AM) Reply
I also would like to know which sewing machine you used. I have been making purses from recycled leather jackets! I use my Designer 1 (husqvarna viking) sewing machine. I embroider on them and then sew them up. I have a website if any one want to take a look see. Do you use a commercial machine? Your work is beautiful! I really enjoy this site also! Thanks so much for a very informative site. Wanda (fatbaby)
Nancy K said... (3/16/07 8:29 AM) Reply
Very cool. What a great idea. You made the bag too? What pattern did you use?
JDpenelope said... (3/16/07 8:03 AM) Reply
Amazing and inspirational. May I ask what sewing machine you used? Were there any special settings? Your leather tips in the link are very helpful.
Tany said... (3/16/07 5:25 AM) Reply
Wonderful work!
Karen6790 said... (3/15/07 9:06 PM) Reply
I've finally conquered fear of leather, but you've gone on to doing fabulous things with it. I need to visit Global again - when I went on PR weekend, I really didn't know what I could do. This turned out so well -- I need these books, apparently.
Deepika said... (3/15/07 8:55 PM) Reply
You guys, if you are afraid of sewing on leather, try something small like this cellphone holder, or an eyeglass case. That way you can play with small scraps. Thanks for such nice comments. I really do love sewing with leather. I am checking my stash for making the hobo bag from this book now. What can I say, A girl can never have enough purses ;-)
Linda G said... (3/15/07 7:48 PM) Reply
Wow...that is beautiful...I have never been brave enough to sew on leather...but I do have some leftover from a reupholstery job I had done...I should at least try with some of that.
Patzee said... (3/15/07 7:31 PM) Reply
Lovely! Maybe I need to try using leather. I borrowed this book from the library, then chickened out!
PVA said... (3/15/07 6:59 PM) Reply
Thanks for this review, Deepika -- I am soooooo tempted!
mistrydesigns said... (3/15/07 5:11 PM) Reply
I have not worked with leather yet but your review is encouraging me to do it soon!
MaryLynn in Long Beach said... (3/15/07 4:51 PM) Reply
Wow! That's wonderful!
CarolynGM said... (3/15/07 3:10 PM) Reply
Very nice -- perfect match for your purse and the sling is so handy.
Gold said... (3/15/07 2:59 PM) Reply
LOve it Love it!!
Princess Jenny said... (3/15/07 12:29 PM) Reply
Gorgeous! Absolutely gorgeous! :)
maryfrana said... (3/15/07 12:20 PM) Reply
This is so stylish and expensive looking. I never thought I could work with leather but this review inspires me to try.

Kwik Sew 2100