Pattern Reviews> Burda> 8162

ON CANADA
Member since: 3/19/05
Posted on:4/2/07 6:34 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 9 people
See other patterns in this category: Coat/Jacket
AnneM said... (4/13/07 7:33 AM) Reply
You must take excellent pictures, because yes, it looks nice in the pic. I guess, since you say in real life it looks amatuerish, I can imagine some of that in the picture - a few ripples, perhaps - but I really have to use my imagination. I wonder if a fabric with less drape might work better with this style? I don't know. But I do know that it looks good in the picture.
nicegirl said... (4/5/07 11:10 AM) Reply
Well, if you don't like it, send it on to me! I don't see anything that screams homemade or untalented! I love the way you used the stripes.
carolynw said... (4/5/07 10:04 AM) Reply
Xela - not sure what to make of your comment - so unlike the majority of PR members. From your profile see that you have not shown any of your projects for review. Please do so we can see your efforts. The next time you feel like commenting on anyone else's try being kinder - no body needs sarcasm!!
xela said... (4/4/07 6:44 PM) Reply
Well, it looks like the "mummy's" suit" --like you're all wrapped up. Can this garment be saved?
Annette1 said... (4/4/07 1:23 AM) Reply
Well, I can't imagine anything you make looking HOMEMADE in the first place -- this included. I LOVE your use of the stripes. Don't ditch it yet! Just wait a couple weeks, THEN see what you think. I hope you end up liking it, becuase we all do. :o) Lord knows, we're our own worst critics.
OP Gal said... (4/3/07 11:03 PM) Reply
Sorry, but I'll have to respectfully disagree with you. It doesn't look "home made by a very untalented sewer." Maybe one day you'll haul it from the depths of your closet and see the beauty in it. I think your use of the stripes is interesting and the jacket is lovely.
marjenann said... (4/3/07 8:31 AM) Reply
It is so discouraging to have a sewing mishap!! The wasted time is frustrating. Thanks for the head's up!! It really is a cool looking jacket. Too bad the directions are poor!
Jane S said... (4/3/07 7:36 AM) Reply
I haven't made this one but I too have been frustrated by Burda darting unexpectedly sometimes. But you're right toput it away and deal with it later. Life's too short not to love sewing and I'm learning to cut my losses sooner than later and work on a project that makes me smile again. Hope you get to do the same.
fuzzygalore said... (4/3/07 3:46 AM) Reply
Oooh, I love what you did with the stripes! Please don't put this in the back of the closet, just package it with the scraps and give it to your local thrift store. I'm sure it'll delight someone who isn't already frustrated with it :-). And thanks, I hadn't thought anything of what Burda did with it, but I'm definitely getting ideas..
Helen near Sydney said... (4/3/07 3:08 AM) Reply
I love the idea of this jacket, very funky. What a shame the backup isn't there in terms of the instructions.
Karen8320 said... (4/2/07 11:02 PM) Reply
Clin, I agree with Cheryl's comments. From the photo, the jacket actually looks as though it has a bit of flair to it, especially with the way the stripes go. However, I have also made garments that I know I would never wear in a fit and I always throw them away immediately. The bottom line is that you have to be comfortable and proud wearing a garment that you've made and you are obviously not feeling this way about this particular garment. You have alerted us all to the dilemmas you faced with this pattern - and that's a good thing!
MaryLynn in Long Beach said... (4/2/07 8:27 PM) Reply
I was excited to see you were reviewing this pattern since I have it. I will dig it out and see if I can make sense of it (probably not). Thanks
Cheryl Reeves said... (4/2/07 7:12 PM) Reply
Clin, I love all of your jackets that you have reviewed - including this one. Honestly, from the picture, it does not scream homemade by an untalented sewer. And if the fit is good, I don't know why you don't like it. Maybe after a cooling off period you will see it differently. At least in the picture, the fabric looks attractive and it looks like you did a great job. Don't burn it yet!
Judy Wentz said... (4/2/07 6:48 PM) Reply
We have all been there, done that. Sorry you had such a hard time.
MasoumaRose said... (4/2/07 6:38 PM) Reply
this was not on my list of things to sew, but I'm very glad that you posted this review. This pattern is safe from my explorations. Rose

by: sarah121ha...