Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 4551 (Fashion Historian)

Reviewed by:Yarndiva

About Yarndivastar
Member since: 3/28/06
Posted on:4/7/07 11:30 AM
Last Updated:10/23/07 9:40 AM
Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 13 people
See other patterns in this category: Costumes
firsthays said... (7/17/08 2:34 PM) Reply look as if you stepped out of a 1860 fashion print...great choice of fabric and color...I'm just starting mine this fall ( my house is being built..with a sewing room of course :) I can't wait! Take care!
Lori V said... (10/23/07 11:19 PM) Reply
Incredible work, the dress is beautiful.
Hilary said... (10/23/07 6:09 PM) Reply
That is truly beautiful-incredible work!!
Carolmarol said... (10/23/07 11:21 AM) Reply
Wow, that is a wonderful dress! I too have one of Simplicity's civil war patterns, and yards of grey taffeta...haven't been brave enough to undertake it yet though! You've inspired me!
AlexaNJ said... (5/13/07 8:58 AM) Reply
I'm a fashion history student at FIT so it's really interesting for me to see this!! Great job!
Yarndiva said... (5/7/07 9:06 PM) Reply
Thanks again. The crinoline was given to me but Simplicity has a pattern for one too. A cage crinoline would be best but that's for another day....
AnneM said... (4/20/07 7:49 PM) Reply
Congrats on your dress. It looks great. That is a lot of fabric to handle, although I thought it might be even more. Thanks for your comments on the instructions of this pattern. Any historical house where you work is getting a big bonus with this.
KiwiWendy said... (4/9/07 7:53 PM) Reply
great dress .. which crinoline pattern did you use???
Yarndiva said... (4/9/07 6:55 PM) Reply
Thank you everyone, I am really overwhelmed by the kind words. As for some questions: The house is right next door, belive it or not. In our part of Nevada the Comstock Lode in the 1860's is a big part of our local history. To make it, it took 7.5 yards of fabric. Reproduction has wonderful fabrics that are authentic and a good value. A solid color with white colllar and cuffs would be most accurate but who can resist a print? As for use, I used to do a living history program and may do it again at the historic home I work at. I have made many, many dresses for a program that showed the 1930's, this was my first 1860's. Our lives have changed a lot (especailly in the undergarments department)! PS: One more thing, I would line the bodice in our modern way this time. In the original, the selvedges are visible. My guess is that way it would be easily adjusted for a change in weight or a different wearer but it's neater to have wrong sides together like a jacket.
madhatter said... (4/8/07 1:14 PM) Reply
fan-tas-tic! and it really looks so authentic... with the background and all... wonderful!
Donna H said... (4/7/07 10:48 PM) Reply
Beautiful!!! But I want to know HOW MUCH fabric was used....??? Thanks for this review! You did a great job.
BeckyW said... (4/7/07 10:44 PM) Reply
Wow! You look like you match you surroundings perfectly. Wonderful job.
BeckyW said... (4/7/07 10:44 PM) Reply
Wow! You look like you match you surroundings perfectly. Wonderful job.
weeza said... (4/7/07 10:25 PM) Reply
Thanks for the great review. That dress looks flawless.
jewelea said... (4/7/07 6:05 PM) Reply
I especially liked your words of wisdom under the "Were the instructions easy to follow?" heading. Just out of curiosity, where do you wear your dress?
Linda G said... (4/7/07 2:32 PM) Reply
Wow what a work of art!
blue mooney said... (4/7/07 2:28 PM) Reply
Lovely dress, and it's so nice that you made the effort to use the period techniques.
Annika said... (4/7/07 1:59 PM) Reply
Ohh fantastic! I ahve this pattern and was wondering about it - thanks for the excellent review.
seeinspotz said... (4/7/07 12:37 PM) Reply
Fabulous dress and an inspiration to those of us that have a love of the era.
Amy Elizabeth said... (4/7/07 12:33 PM) Reply
Your Civil War era dress is lovely! I enjoy historical sewing, and have a copy of this pattern, as well as fabric to make it up in. I really like your fabric choices - your project turned out beautiful!
Stephanie C. said... (4/7/07 12:19 PM) Reply
What a wonderful dress! It looks so...historical. I appreciate your comments about looking into the window of the women of years ago. It's fascinating and your review was excellent.

by: emr