Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 4551 (Fashion Historian)

Reviewed by:Yarndiva

About Yarndivastar
Member since: 3/28/06
Posted on:4/7/07 11:30 AM
Last Updated:10/23/07 9:40 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 13 people
See other patterns in this category: Costumes
firsthays said... (7/17/08 2:34 PM) Reply
Wonderful....you look as if you stepped out of a 1860 fashion print...great choice of fabric and color...I'm just starting mine this fall ( my house is being built..with a sewing room of course :) I can't wait! Take care!
Lori V said... (10/23/07 11:19 PM) Reply
Incredible work, the dress is beautiful.
Hilary said... (10/23/07 6:09 PM) Reply
That is truly beautiful-incredible work!!
Carolmarol said... (10/23/07 11:21 AM) Reply
Wow, that is a wonderful dress! I too have one of Simplicity's civil war patterns, and yards of grey taffeta...haven't been brave enough to undertake it yet though! You've inspired me!
AlexaNJ said... (5/13/07 8:58 AM) Reply
I'm a fashion history student at FIT so it's really interesting for me to see this!! Great job!
Yarndiva said... (5/7/07 9:06 PM) Reply
Thanks again. The crinoline was given to me but Simplicity has a pattern for one too. A cage crinoline would be best but that's for another day....
AnneM said... (4/20/07 7:49 PM) Reply
Congrats on your dress. It looks great. That is a lot of fabric to handle, although I thought it might be even more. Thanks for your comments on the instructions of this pattern. Any historical house where you work is getting a big bonus with this.
KiwiWendy said... (4/9/07 7:53 PM) Reply
great dress .. which crinoline pattern did you use???
Yarndiva said... (4/9/07 6:55 PM) Reply
Thank you everyone, I am really overwhelmed by the kind words. As for some questions: The house is right next door, belive it or not. In our part of Nevada the Comstock Lode in the 1860's is a big part of our local history. To make it, it took 7.5 yards of fabric. Reproduction Fabrics.com has wonderful fabrics that are authentic and a good value. A solid color with white colllar and cuffs would be most accurate but who can resist a print? As for use, I used to do a living history program and may do it again at the historic home I work at. I have made many, many dresses for a program that showed the 1930's, this was my first 1860's. Our lives have changed a lot (especailly in the undergarments department)! PS: One more thing, I would line the bodice in our modern way this time. In the original, the selvedges are visible. My guess is that way it would be easily adjusted for a change in weight or a different wearer but it's neater to have wrong sides together like a jacket.
madhatter said... (4/8/07 1:14 PM) Reply
fan-tas-tic! and it really looks so authentic... with the background and all... wonderful!
Donna H said... (4/7/07 10:48 PM) Reply
Beautiful!!! But I want to know HOW MUCH fabric was used....??? Thanks for this review! You did a great job.
BeckyW said... (4/7/07 10:44 PM) Reply
Wow! You look like you match you surroundings perfectly. Wonderful job.
BeckyW said... (4/7/07 10:44 PM) Reply
Wow! You look like you match you surroundings perfectly. Wonderful job.
weeza said... (4/7/07 10:25 PM) Reply
Thanks for the great review. That dress looks flawless.
jewelea said... (4/7/07 6:05 PM) Reply
I especially liked your words of wisdom under the "Were the instructions easy to follow?" heading. Just out of curiosity, where do you wear your dress?
Linda G said... (4/7/07 2:32 PM) Reply
Wow what a work of art!
blue mooney said... (4/7/07 2:28 PM) Reply
Lovely dress, and it's so nice that you made the effort to use the period techniques.
Annika said... (4/7/07 1:59 PM) Reply
Ohh fantastic! I ahve this pattern and was wondering about it - thanks for the excellent review.
seeinspotz said... (4/7/07 12:37 PM) Reply
Fabulous dress and an inspiration to those of us that have a love of the era.
Amy Elizabeth said... (4/7/07 12:33 PM) Reply
Your Civil War era dress is lovely! I enjoy historical sewing, and have a copy of this pattern, as well as fabric to make it up in. I really like your fabric choices - your project turned out beautiful!
Stephanie C. said... (4/7/07 12:19 PM) Reply
What a wonderful dress! It looks so...historical. I appreciate your comments about looking into the window of the women of years ago. It's fascinating and your review was excellent.

Sew Chic Pretty Petticoat Pattern (ln1208)

Sew Chic Pretty Petticoat Pattern (ln1208)

THE SKIRTS - A CD Book By Kenneth King