Pattern Reviews> Amy Butler> 003IB (In Town Bags)

Reviewed by:Yakityak

About Yakityakstar
Member since: 8/16/03
Posted on:4/11/07 2:26 AM
Last Updated:4/5/08 5:09 PM

janesq said... (8/27/08 12:19 PM) Reply
do you have any suggestions for making this bag bigger?
Yakityak said... (4/8/08 3:42 AM) Reply
Thanks everyone for the kind words. I was feeling awfully grumpy when I wrote the edit! The babysitter did show up at the last minute, and we wound up going. So it's a happy ending, even if it was a white knuckle ride. As far as the purse goes, I do like the plastic handles. No one looked at the bag and said "homemade"... and I suspect that the presence of plastic (better living through chemistry!) caused the non-attentive eye to gloss over other irregularities. The distracting pattern of the lace helps, too. For an evening bag, I might be tempted to install a magnetic closure in the center and sew in a tiny 'v' pleat to the sides to encourage them to fold inwards. Perhaps on my next go-round.
lilyofthevalley said... (4/7/08 7:51 PM) Reply
Two bags - both beautiful, both beautifully made. I would be very hard pressed to choose between them and lucky you! You don't have to choose. Lovely bags, Lily
Nancywin said... (4/6/08 9:05 PM) Reply
I think the bag looks great and I wouldn't change it. Put it away for awhile and look at it again with "new eyes" You may be more pleased than you think.
MamaSewing said... (4/5/08 8:45 PM) Reply
How I missed your first review I don't know. I love all 3 of your bags, the last one is great--too bad about your evening out,( hope your dh feels better) but at least you have another great bag!
Sherril Miller said... (4/5/08 5:41 PM) Reply
Very helpful review. Your purses are wonderful!
drdeez said... (1/10/08 9:22 AM) Reply
Thanks for the review. I love the bead idea. What beautiful beads they are too. I have never made a handbag and you have inspired me.
gaz-mom said... (4/12/07 11:26 PM) Reply
what a great review--thanks for showing the difference in interfacings! Very helpful to someone new at sewing purses (like myself).
Jane S said... (4/12/07 8:09 AM) Reply
Thanks for doing this experiment on our behalf. You definitely showed the difference between what I think looks homemade versus some high end boutique look. Thanks! I've avoided making purses for this reason but now you're inspiring me.
trinicity said... (4/12/07 7:56 AM) Reply
very cute
aunt saidee said... (4/12/07 1:42 AM) Reply
Very nice bags: thanks for doing this experiment for us all. I am pretty much sold on using Timtex for purses, but I don't like the fusible kind because when I used it I ended up w/ a wrinkled bag. The wrinkles press out of flat fabric, but reappear in the bag. :-{ . Maybe I just did something wrong. Anyway, I just use the non-fusible type.
nimble said... (4/12/07 0:12 AM) Reply
These bags are fantastic and I am so glad to see your review!! I like the look of boutique bags but can't stand the floppiness because they make it easier for all my stuff to get lost!! The print on the non-timtex is gorgeous but I agree with you on the timtex one working out the best! Thanks for the tip on the finding beautiful handmade buttons and I like your idea for the pockets! Very helpful review.
Yakityak said... (4/12/07 0:03 AM) Reply
Thanks for all the compliments, everyone. I agree Timtex is much harder to work with. I am a fan of large needles for this sort of thing - don't know why I didn't use one. Yes, sewing with a size 18 feels like sewing with a pile driver, but it also makes working with this stuff fairly uneventful. That said I am working with an old all-metal battle-axe of a machine, and my problems are never with insufficient power, but rather with control. YMMV.
EastwoodFan said... (4/11/07 9:39 PM) Reply
Beautiful work. I recently sewed the AB Velma Bag and it's a little floppy. Your suggestion of using the Timtex instead is correct. However, I found the Timtex hard to work with (I used it previously on another AB bag - the Madison bag). On this pattern here that you used, I really like the drawstring bag as it was quick and didn't require the Timtex. Thank you for a good, helpful review.
Nancywin said... (4/11/07 5:53 PM) Reply
I think your bags are both beautiful, but I agree that the timtex is a better choice. I think the firmer interfacing makes the difference in bags from "home-made" to "boutique"
illinicrna said... (4/11/07 3:01 PM) Reply
As usual, a great outcome. Thanks for comparing the interfacings. I am a fellow AB fan.
Lynngray said... (4/11/07 2:31 PM) Reply
Very nice. Great closures.
gatorgirl4325 said... (4/11/07 10:04 AM) Reply
Beautiful bags! I agree with you about the interfacings. I wholeheartedly recommend timtex/peltex whenever possible. You have a great idea for teachers gifts. I'm sure they will be appreciated.
Elemenopeo said... (4/11/07 9:39 AM) Reply
Great experiment - both bags are beautiful - you have a good eye for closures.
Bruna said... (4/11/07 2:57 AM) Reply
OMG! What gorgeous bags! Love them both, your button is too cute. I can see what you mean about the heavier interfacing. Thanks for making 2 bags to illustrate the difference. Regards, Bruna

by: Grammi C