Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 2903 (Original 1957 Design)

Reviewed by:cherry

Last Updated:4/16/07 9:43 AM
Pattern Size:Regular Petite

Review Rating: Helpful by 5 people    Very Helpful by 22 people
Coastal Connie said... (9/13/09 0:11 AM) Reply
Cherry, I love your reviews. I came accross this one after seeing your review of the vintage Vogue Jacket that I also reviewed. I see you haven't added much recently. I'm sure you are still sewing, as your garments are super fine. Hope to see something new, soon. --C
janella said... (5/28/09 6:56 AM) Reply
good points. Will keep them in mind as I sew. Thanks for pointing out that B is really a winter dress - I had noticed the sleeve length/bodice but hadn't associated it with a season.
NancyDancy said... (4/21/09 10:35 AM) Reply
I will be making this dress as a wedding dress for my neice. Thank you for all your notes and comments. I did not see that the bodice was seperate! This should be interesting!
sewingwithmysisters said... (6/9/08 2:50 PM) Reply
Lovely dress!
MrsBaldwin said... (6/2/08 9:22 PM) Reply
Nice job! I've already done a taffeta version of this dress, but I'd love to do a cotton one like this.
Suz09 said... (4/3/08 12:24 PM) Reply
I am currently making this pattern in the shangtung silk for my daughters graduation ball (university level). The Duppioni silk was a little too sporty when comparing the two and the broadcloth too casual. I'll be making the sleeves the afternoon. Thanks so much for the heads-up. This is really exciting!
bobbin1 said... (6/15/07 2:53 PM) Reply
I am in the process of finishing this dress i agree with all your comments, sleeves are tricky but worth perservering with, hopefully it will be ready for a wedding tomorrow
cherry said... (5/10/07 2:15 PM) Reply
Interesting footnote: I was in Talbots today, and they are selling this dress! It's in a cotton print, not as heavy as mine, and they have left out the sleeves, but the double bodice feature, and the large box pleats are all there!
cherry said... (5/10/07 1:24 PM) Reply
belleepoque said... (5/6/07 2:18 PM) Reply
oh! a beautiful dress and a very helpful review. thank you for the cautions about the difficult double-bodice, too- always good to know what one is getting in to!
Annette1 said... (4/21/07 1:38 AM) Reply
PRETTY, PRETTY, PRETTY! I'd BETTER have this pattern -- ha!
AuntieShel said... (4/18/07 12:05 PM) Reply
What a beautiful dress!! Thank you for reviewing this. Even though it's "vintage," it's very wearable. Great job!!
JaneH said... (4/18/07 10:45 AM) Reply
Beautiful dress!! What is old is new again!!
SewTwin said... (4/18/07 1:12 AM) Reply
How bout Advanced Rating? This is a cooool dress! I will sew many more years before I attempt something like this!
ryan's mom said... (4/17/07 12:29 PM) Reply
Fab dress and love the style!
Jane S said... (4/17/07 9:31 AM) Reply
This is simply beautiful and such a fascinating construction technique, quite a feat of engineering to turn out something so lovely.
Elemenopeo said... (4/17/07 9:14 AM) Reply
Beautiful and very wearable. The pique is perfect for it.
Karine said... (4/17/07 8:42 AM) Reply
The dress is great! I think it would be beautiful in a black silk.
LorelleD said... (4/16/07 6:01 PM) Reply
Thankyou for this review. Love the dress. I think it would make a lovely little black dress. You did a great job.
nicegirl said... (4/16/07 5:59 PM) Reply
That's gorgeous! I keep lingering over this pattern in the Vogue book but I'm not sure I'm up to handling six pieces coming together in one place! Thanks for the review.
cindy-lou said... (4/16/07 3:36 PM) Reply
BEAUTIFUL!
Gsd said... (4/16/07 2:48 PM) Reply
wow ! what a pretty dress. Thanks for such a good review.
washer_woman said... (4/16/07 2:04 PM) Reply
The dress is just beautiful! I'm glad you mentioned the sleeve/neckline detail -- it was really helpful for me! Thank you for sharing the review!
maryfrana said... (4/16/07 12:45 PM) Reply
This is beautiful. Thanks for the heads up about the bodice.
Melody said... (4/16/07 12:14 PM) Reply
I love this dress. Thanks for doing the review, I had wondered about the sleeve/neckline issue.
Irene Q said... (4/16/07 11:31 AM) Reply
Thanks for pointing out all the interesting details on this dress. It really looks much better made up than I would have thought. Excellent review, and very cute dress - hope you have a lot of fun wearing it!
Em's Summer said... (4/16/07 11:13 AM) Reply
Excellent work! I love this dress. You did a great job!
Marji said... (4/16/07 10:59 AM) Reply
Wonderful looking dress. Love the fabric you used for it - very authentic feeling for the vintage style. Thanks for the review - I have this pattern but haven't opened it yet.
Frogstitcher said... (4/16/07 10:50 AM) Reply
Vintage dresses haven't interested me until now. This is such a pretty dress; I love the neckline. Thank you for reviewing it, I doubt I would have noticed it otherwise.
Soliel said... (4/16/07 10:49 AM) Reply
Thanks for doing this pattern. I really enjoy seeing the real look of vintage patterns. Lovely!
CarolynGM said... (4/16/07 10:36 AM) Reply
Very nice lines on this dress. The sleeve construction is very interesting -- I've never seen anything like that before.
Lady_Mame said... (4/16/07 10:21 AM) Reply
WOW, that is really eye-catching, great job!
cathy45 said... (4/16/07 10:14 AM) Reply
I just saw this pattern last week & loved it! but worried it would hang funny w/out a crinoline. Your dress is beautiful. Thank you for the cautions and good review. Can't wait to go get it now.

The Technique of Underlining Garments