Online Sewing Class: Understanding Wool Fabrics

Pattern Reviews> Christine Jonson> 824 (Taper/Wide leg pants)

Viewed 1904 times
Reviewed by:SouthernStitch

About SouthernStitchstarstarstar
United States
Posted on:1/19/03 2:29 AM
Last Updated:1/20/03 10:23 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 7 people    Very Helpful by 3 people
See other patterns in this category: Pants
Everyday Sewist said... (1/21/03 11:43 PM) Reply
Mary, thank you so much for describing the waistband. I don't have a serger, but I have used a similar method with the sewing machine. I'm not very good at it but I get the impression it's one of those things that takes practice.
Sherril Miller said... (1/21/03 11:11 PM) Reply
Thanks for the pic Mary. Wish I could see you wearing them.
SouthernStitch said... (1/20/03 9:36 PM) Reply
I know, I am so happy Deepika is getting us an area here for pics, but in the meantime, I am going to set up my own web page for pics. Thanks, Mary
Sherril Miller said... (1/20/03 4:48 PM) Reply
I forgot to mention that your link isn't working.
SouthernStitch said... (1/20/03 2:46 PM) Reply
Maria, CJ recommends a roller foot or walking foot when topstitching on cotton lycra, but you may do fine without one. Elastic: Let me clarify: CJ says to finish all edges first on the serger. I did not do this on the waistband, knowing I would be serging the elastic to it. You cut the elastic the size you want it to be finished. CJ gives what length to cut, or you cut what is best for your waist. then, sew the edges together so you have the elastic in a circle, ready to serge to the top of the waist on the pants. You don't want your serger knife to cut the elastic as you are serging it on there, so what I did was I pinned the elastic about 1/8" off the waist, so the knife cut a little tiny bit of the top of the waistband as I serged. I find this to give a cleaner finish and it prevented me from cutting the elastic as I serged. Of course, you can also disengage the knife too, but I think it is easier to ensure you enclose both the elastic and the top of the pants nicely when you cut a bit of the waist top off as you serge.
Maria Hatfield said... (1/20/03 0:46 AM) Reply
Mary you say you used a roller foot ? i dont have one of these, do you have to have one ? and you also say "not" to cut the elastic. but then you say to cut it while your serging it with the fabric. or did i read that wrong ? i just cant seem to get that method down. no matter howmuch i try. so the top of the elastic will be getting cut with the serger right ?
SouthernStitch said... (1/20/03 0:24 AM) Reply
Sherril, The funny thing is - I don't have big legs either!! That is what I found so funny about this pattern. Betty, here is the waistband treatment: 1. After securing the ends of the premeasured elastic, quarter and pin to the waistline of pants, lining up edges. 2. Serge the elastic to the edge of the waistband, do not cut the elastic. Let about 1/8" hang off the edge of the fabric, so that gets cut. 3. Stretch as you serge, to the next pinned edge. 4. turn elastic to the inside, and using the sewing machine, topstitch a zigzag stitch, again stretching as you sew, on the outside of the pants. You will be stretching the elastic till the top fabric on the waist is smooth. Zig zag the bottom of the elastic. This method is wonderful. Let me know if you don't understand this and I will email you better instructions. Mary T
AnneM said... (1/19/03 5:29 PM) Reply
From the pictures I have seen, the taper pants are basically a loose legging, and the wide-leg pant is actually a slim pant. I don't have this pattern yet to verify this, but your review agrees with the others that gave me that impression.
Sherril Miller said... (1/19/03 2:10 PM) Reply
Andrearn9, these pants aren't snug on my legs at all, and I cut the size 16, just shortened 2". I guess it depends on how heavy your legs are. I love, love, love this pattern!
Everyday Sewist said... (1/19/03 10:46 AM) Reply
Thanks for your review, Mary. I've been thinking about buying this pattern. It sounds like it would be worth it just for the instructions. Could you describe the waistband detail you liked so much? Or is there another review that describes it?
andrearn9 said... (1/19/03 10:38 AM) Reply
Thanks for the review, Mary! I just got this pattern, along with some CJ cotton/lycra. Thanks for the heads up on the sizing issue. I am planning on making the taper pant, but want it to be more of a slim pant than a legging (leggings and me are not a good mix). I'll definitely size up now.
Rustybobn said... (1/19/03 9:45 AM) Reply
Wow, Mary. Great review. Having just finished CJ's cuff pants, I want more CJ patterns! These sound like a sure thing. Thanks.

Understanding Wool Fabrics