Online Sewing Class: Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Pattern Reviews> Loes Hinse Designs> 5106 (Bolero Jacket)

Viewed 2065 times
Reviewed by:Kelly D.

About Kelly D.star
Member since: 4/24/05
Posted on:1/5/08 10:35 AM
Last Updated:1/5/08 10:35 AM
Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 28 people
See other patterns in this category: Coat/Jacket
Wianno Girl said... (5/31/12 8:10 PM) Reply
great suggestions on shaping the back, it looks lovely sewn!
JDpenelope said... (10/18/09 6:34 PM) Reply
Beautiful. I have the pattern and am considering making it. Very nice review.
Larkin said... (1/6/08 8:31 PM) Reply
What a nice jacket! Thanks for the suggestions when working with knit and the other fit suggestions. Enjoy!
Frozzy said... (1/5/08 12:57 PM) Reply
Beautiful jacket & great review. Thanks for the tailor tack idea, I've got some fabric a lot like this in my sewing line up, and will try that. All of you have such great solutions to fabric/pattern problems!
marjenann said... (1/5/08 11:31 AM) Reply
Scrumptious jacket!! Your review was very helpful!! I stay away from sweater knits, but this pattern may be the one to tempt me to give it a try!!
SewKnitYKnot said... (1/5/08 11:06 AM) Reply
Your jacket is beautiful. Thanks for the detailed review & explaining how you handled the sweater fabric when making your bolero. Your comments about the instructions & sleeve fit are very helpful.
moushka said... (7/14/07 2:09 AM) Reply
Thank you! Great review of a beautiful jacket. Love the fabric and closure. I agree with you that some back shaping is crucial. I add a centre back seam to everything. Sue
Terri K said... (5/27/07 1:59 PM) Reply
Great design interpretation! I bought that same knit from a JoAnns in Florida at end of season sale for a 3/4 sleeve Cardigan and a 3/4 Sweater Coat. Thanks for the great review.
SewTwin said... (5/10/07 9:05 PM) Reply
Thanks for the review, and pics! Classy lookin' jacket, and fabric. I agree with your darts, and the curved back suggestion. I have never found a pattern that was perfect on every detail. I think the sewist fits the pattern to the body, not the reverse. Of course, we all have our suggestions for each pattern, and I am happy to learn "Anything I can before I sew the same pattern!"...Se la Vie!!
AnneM said... (5/1/07 5:08 AM) Reply
Pretty jacket. Thanks for noting what you encountered. Nice idea on the back darts.
Kelly D. said... (4/23/07 10:08 AM) Reply
fuzzygalore: Well, I'd been wanting to try this pattern and thought it would be a good match for this fabric. I didn't want a closely fitted jacket, but neither did I want it quite as boxy as it appears on the pattern envelope. It was quick and easy to add the darts and it fits exactly how I'd hoped it would.
fuzzygalore said... (4/23/07 4:30 AM) Reply
?? Don't understand why you'd pick out a pattern for a boxy jacket if you wanted a fitted one? But whatever, the result looks good.
Ann Smith said... (4/22/07 7:21 PM) Reply
It was fun seeing this on you today. Really pretty combination of fabric and pattern on you.
LorelleD said... (4/22/07 6:33 PM) Reply
Lovely jacket. I too like it with the darts. Thanks for the review.
cmarie12 said... (4/22/07 1:01 PM) Reply
This is a very nice version of this jacket! It made me remember that I have this pattern and should take it out and look at it again.
Mufffet said... (4/22/07 11:49 AM) Reply
Beautiful...the fabric and the style.
Frogstitcher said... (4/22/07 11:47 AM) Reply
Really good looking jacket, I love the fabric colors. Well written review.
carolynw said... (4/22/07 9:36 AM) Reply
Wonderful looking jacket and very helpful review.
Jane S said... (4/22/07 7:45 AM) Reply
I thik you've made this simple jacket into something outstanding. I agree that the back needs shaping and you did a wonderful job modifying it.
2BSewing said... (4/22/07 7:12 AM) Reply
Stunning! Love your fabric choice. Beautiful jacket.
jlg said... (4/22/07 6:04 AM) Reply
Wow, great job.
nimble said... (4/22/07 3:04 AM) Reply
That is just gorgeous!!! I love the fabric you chose!!!
Cheryl Reeves said... (4/22/07 0:25 AM) Reply
Good review and pretty jacket. I love this pattern and how easy it goes together. I think it looks great on a variety of figures types. Pretty buttons and closure.
Annette1 said... (4/22/07 0:25 AM) Reply
I really like your addition of the darts on this jacket, and good idea using the tailor tacks, too. Beautiful!
Nancywin said... (4/21/07 11:42 PM) Reply
Very nice - beautiful fabric, too. Like you, I usually stitch and then serge for the same reasons. thanks for the informative review.
lmg said... (4/21/07 11:00 PM) Reply
A beautiful version of this jacket! I love the closure as well. Tres elegant.

by: michellep7...