Pattern Reviews> McCall's> 5315 (Dress)

Reviewed by:AlexaNJ

About AlexaNJstar
NJ USA
Member since: 4/10/07
Posted on:4/22/07 10:40 PM
Last Updated:10/12/07 11:05 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 4 people    Very Helpful by 7 people
Bettsi said... (2/23/08 0:25 AM) Reply
It looks great! You should be really proud of yourself.
AlexaNJ said... (10/19/07 1:01 PM) Reply
Heather - The picture was taken at a wedding and I thought it would be a nice update for my review. Thank you everyone for your comments!!
Kellie R. said... (10/14/07 11:52 AM) Reply
Very cute dress - it has a retro 60's feel about it for which your slim figure is perfect! Great job!
ryan's mom said... (10/13/07 4:10 PM) Reply
So pretty! Darn, I think I'm going to have to buy another pattern :) .
Heatherrique said... (10/13/07 11:43 AM) Reply
Your a knockout in your "better than J.Crew's" dress! I like that "dynamic duo" picture! Where was it taken (nice background also)?
loohoo44 said... (10/12/07 11:23 PM) Reply
I like your print better! It turned out great, congrats!
cindy-lou said... (10/12/07 11:13 PM) Reply
Gorgeous dress! They really need to put yours on the envelope-- it's MUCH nicer than theirs. Gorgeous!
Margriet said... (5/27/07 7:36 PM) Reply
There is a similar Kwik Sew # 3492 pattern out. The drawings look quite awful and uninspiring, but the photos on their website (pdf) look better and show the similarities to your altered design. Beautiful dress! Love your attitude!
Beve said... (5/5/07 5:40 PM) Reply
lovely dress..and a very nice job! You look great in it...
Christina Sonja said... (5/5/07 11:30 AM) Reply
Looks great on you! Hope you had a good time at your event.
carolynw said... (5/5/07 9:31 AM) Reply
Beautiful dress and I am sure you must be pleased at making it for so much less than the RTW. Yours looks wonderful!
AlexaNJ said... (5/2/07 8:48 AM) Reply
Thank you everyone for your kind comments! The dance is Friday and I will def. update and post pictures of me in it! Last night I (finally)finished the straps and it is wearable! Thanks again!!
AnneM said... (5/1/07 6:29 PM) Reply
Congrats on your dress. If asked, you can just say "Oh, this was customed made rather than buy the J Crew version."
Laurie Lou said... (4/25/07 2:16 PM) Reply
I like your rendition of the J Crew and your alterations to the pattern look great. Plus you will probably smile a lot more wearing it because of the dough you saved to buy more fabric!!!
OP Gal said... (4/23/07 3:37 PM) Reply
I love it when someone knocks of an overpriced RTW dress, and you've done a beautiful job. Have great fun at your reunion. Your outfit sounds lovely.
Soliel said... (4/23/07 11:09 AM) Reply
Good for you! I agree that lengthening made it so you had to take in with the darts...because the orginal bodice was only for a bust. I am amazed how only one inch really changed the design of the dress, totally. Have a great time and looking forward to your photos!
maiaj said... (4/23/07 9:17 AM) Reply
Very beautiful, I love the fabric and you did a great job altering the pattern to suit your needs!!
cathy45 said... (4/23/07 9:07 AM) Reply
Beautiful dress! Great knock-off.
Jane S said... (4/23/07 8:01 AM) Reply
Wow what a beautiful dress, you will lok wondeful wearing it. Now as Shirley Adams taught, you "saved" almost $600 which you can use for machines, fabric, buttons....:-)
MissCelie said... (4/23/07 7:43 AM) Reply
Great modification. I too fall in love with J. Crew and get sticker shock when I think about purchasing.
Danvillegirl said... (4/23/07 5:33 AM) Reply
Cute dress; you did a great job of modifying to replicate the $650 dress.
Christina Sonja said... (4/23/07 2:41 AM) Reply
I love that silk print. Great dress :)
Annette1 said... (4/23/07 0:46 AM) Reply
What a beautiful dress you have here! I can see why you're excited to post it, and I'm glad you did. :o)
yummymummy38 said... (4/22/07 11:53 PM) Reply
looking forward to the updated pics, include one of the back please
Em's Summer said... (4/22/07 10:55 PM) Reply
Your dress looks so cute and soo very trendy! I want one, too! And I really enjoy reviews written by people who are excited about what they made! Great review!

Sewing Facings and Developing Facing Patterns