Pattern Reviews> McCall's> 4766 (DRESS NY JUNIOR)

Reviewed by:Babouche

Last Updated:2/17/08 5:00 AM
Pattern Size:Petite

Review Rating: Helpful by 4 people    Very Helpful by 5 people
Kellie R. said... (2/18/08 7:24 PM) Reply
That's so pretty! It has a touch of vintage with color and skirt. Great job.
cindyann said... (2/17/08 11:42 AM) Reply
Very pretty. What a beautiful color!
causticmuse said... (2/17/08 9:38 AM) Reply
You did a wonderful job on blending two patterns together to get the look you wanted, and the dress fits you very well! The funny thing is that I own a vintage Vogue Givenchy pattern from the 80s that is very much like what you have made! :)
carolynw said... (2/17/08 8:52 AM) Reply
C'est magnifique - hope that's correct French - this is really beautiful and you did a wonderfull job.
Fabienne301 said... (2/17/08 8:50 AM) Reply
Fabienne301 said... (2/17/08 8:45 AM) Reply
Wonderful! And you are an intermediate sewer? And you successfully lengthened the midsection to make a bustier top? I would call you advanced now...beautiful job. Strapless garments are tough, combining two patterns is tough, silk is tough and you made a magnificent piece out of all of that. The color is grand on you as well. I am sorry I didn't see this before. By the way, I suspect you mean "gathers" rather than "pleats". Pleats are regular rather geometric folds in fabric (like the pleats in a Scotsman's kilt). Gathers are soft bunchings of the fabric usually done by running long basting stitches and then pulling the threads until the fabric has compresses and stands out a bit from the seam, like puffed sleeves. Similar words in meaning but...you know sewing and you know English both difficult and you do so well with both!
Bonnie O said... (2/17/08 8:21 AM) Reply
Very pretty dress. Fits very well and I love the color.
ryan's mom said... (2/17/08 8:10 AM) Reply
So pretty! I love the style and color.
KathleenS said... (2/17/08 6:54 AM) Reply
English is my native language and I'm not sure if they're pleats or folds either! Either way, they look great and so does the rest of the dress!
AlexaNJ said... (5/5/07 10:05 AM) Reply
You did an awesome job in recreating a designer dress and making it your very own! Great job!! :)
AnneM said... (5/3/07 4:40 PM) Reply
Congrats on your dress; you should be thrilled. Nice style (& I like it better in your green than her skin-tone dress). Speaking of your green, your dress certainly shows all that hard work better than the black pattern picture.
cathy45 said... (4/24/07 9:24 AM) Reply
Such a pretty dress! Well done.
Babouche said... (4/24/07 5:13 AM) Reply
I added a short picture because Soliel asked me about the "pleats" she didn't see; I am french so I don't know the good translation for "pli", maybe it is not pleats but folds ... Tell me, I would love to improve my english ! I didnt' make the "pli" very straight because I didn't want them to be too regular !
hongkongshopper said... (4/24/07 4:40 AM) Reply
So you should be proud - it is great! Well done!
Babouche said... (4/24/07 3:34 AM) Reply
Thank you very much for your comments, but please do yours, I would be very pleased that someone make the same dress !
Nancywin said... (4/23/07 10:11 PM) Reply
absolutely stunning. I love what you did with the bodice and skirt. It fits you beautifully too.
zazzie said... (4/23/07 9:55 PM) Reply
Très, très joli ! I am fond of that green - a colour that does not suit me well, unfortunately, so I like to admire it on others !
colormefun said... (4/23/07 6:45 PM) Reply
love it! wow! and only your second dress? good job!
cindy-lou said... (4/23/07 4:23 PM) Reply
You made a beautiful, beautiful dress and should be very proud!
Beve said... (4/23/07 4:14 PM) Reply
Beautiful job! You look lovely in it..
JaneH said... (4/23/07 3:46 PM) Reply
Great dress!!
Christina Sonja said... (4/23/07 2:25 PM) Reply
Gorgeous!
Erica B. said... (4/23/07 2:24 PM) Reply
Very lovely dress.
Leora said... (4/23/07 2:06 PM) Reply
You did a fantastic job! The belt is a great detail. I think yours fits much better (and looks better too)!!
Mufffet said... (4/23/07 1:19 PM) Reply
Lovely dress and very clever to use those two patterns!
slanden99 said... (4/23/07 12:04 PM) Reply
Pretty dress!
Puddin Pop said... (4/23/07 11:55 AM) Reply
Very pretty dress and the color is gorgeous.
Soliel said... (4/23/07 11:02 AM) Reply
Great! Love your dress. I guess you added "fluff" to the top of the dress as well as another bottom piece? Very ambitious..but excellent results. I didn't see the "pleats" you were talking about...what am I missing?

Ottobre Design Magazine 02-2002-40