Pattern Reviews> BurdaStyle Magazine> 03-2007-113 (Jacket)

Reviewed by:Nata

About Natastar
Member since: 8/20/02
Posted on:4/28/07 10:00 PM
Last Updated:2/10/08 8:55 AM
Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 22 people
alviana said... (12/23/08 3:03 AM) Reply
nice top! i love how u arrange the button. so creative. love the color too..
Koushite said... (7/8/08 2:55 PM) Reply
Formidable! If you don't sew professionally, you certainly should begin.....for all those lost souls out there who keep paying out money for poorly fitting, expensive RTW and have no idea what a really beautiful well made jacket is supposed to look and feel like.
lilyofthevalley said... (2/11/08 1:58 PM) Reply
This creation requires a moment of silence ... as well as a courtly bow! Killer chic! Your sleeve cuff and other changes were inspired. And superb review, as well. Thanks (digging out my BWOF 3/07 issue). - Lily
blue mooney said... (2/11/08 9:00 AM) Reply
great style, great fabric, LOVE the fuschia and orange!
hongkongshopper said... (2/10/08 6:59 PM) Reply
Love this pattern and have it earmarked to make up soon. Your version is lovely.
cathy45 said... (2/10/08 5:05 PM) Reply
Beautiful! Just beautiful. The split cuff with this fabric was perfect.
Annette1 said... (2/10/08 3:51 PM) Reply
"EXQUISITE," is the only word I can come up with, and I'm not so sure that's good enough!
Lori V said... (2/10/08 2:20 PM) Reply
Modiste Madness said... (2/10/08 9:37 AM) Reply
I love it! Thanks for reminding me of this pattern. It caught my eye too and I had forgotten about it.
Dmd4106 said... (5/2/07 10:34 PM) Reply
fabulous, silk dupioni, what a treat to sew with. Great job on the review too !
Silvie said... (5/1/07 2:59 AM) Reply
WOW!!! absolutely stunning jacket....great work
OP Gal said... (4/30/07 8:09 PM) Reply
Your jacket is just gorgeous. What an interesting design. It looks very well executed and I'm sure you look wonderful in it.
lmg said... (4/30/07 5:59 PM) Reply
I missed this earlier. Beautiful jacket. Thanks for the tips on the front bands and the sleeves
Sherril Miller said... (4/30/07 5:54 PM) Reply
I loved this pattern and it sewed up beautifully.
nicegirl said... (4/30/07 4:26 PM) Reply
Gorgeous! Your neckline is perfect.
Elaray said... (4/30/07 2:06 PM) Reply
I love the way dupioni looks, but I've never used it. I always thought it was much more difficult. Your top is really beautiful.
Nata said... (4/30/07 1:42 PM) Reply
Jenka, The front band is a little tricky. First, I finished the short slanted edge of the band, turn it right side out and press. Next I laid the band on the front piece on the right side; slanted edge of the band starting at the front center line, band facing downwards. Then I laid facing on top of the front piece right sides together. Band will be sandwiched between the front and the facing. I stitched horizontal seam exactly to the corner where neckline starts going up. Next I slashed seam allowances of the front and of the facing (separately) almost to where your stitching ended so the finished corner will not pucker. I grab the band short unfinished edge (the one opposite to the slanted edge) and turned it 90 degrees upwards; the short edge of the band should align with the neckline. I basted the band to the front first, starting at the corner and going up. Next I basted it again to the facing in the same manner. Then I stitched the neckline starting from the corner exactly at the point where the previous seam ended. It will look all puckered, but it will look nice after you turn the facing inside. Then I serged SA very narrow, and turned facing to the inside. Press and topstitch. I topstitched along both long and short sides (around the corner) because I was afraid the silk will fray in the corner from clipping.
Nata said... (4/30/07 1:09 PM) Reply
Wow, thanks everybodey for nice comments! Linda, I forgot to mention this part. I added a paragraph about the sleeves in the review. I ended up narrowing the sleeve because it looked wide on my arm and there was too much ease in the cap. I didn't have a problem with insufficient ease, however. Is there any chance you are aligning front sleeve seam with the side bodice seam? They shouldn't match; side seam falls somewhere in-between the two sleeve seams.
Jane S said... (4/30/07 8:08 AM) Reply
Wow, this looks terrific! Unique and classy and I love the sleeve style change.
jenka said... (4/30/07 7:44 AM) Reply
I'm working on this one right now - the directions concerning the front tabs (below the collar) are very confusing - how did you do that part?
yorkshire lass said... (4/30/07 3:26 AM) Reply
wow, stunning. Much nicer than the one in the magazine. It looks a million dollars.
pterion said... (4/29/07 10:16 PM) Reply
This is stunning, Nata!
Linda G said... (4/29/07 9:25 PM) Reply
Looks great. I like yours better than mine. I have one started and I am having a heck of a time getting the sleeves to ease in to much ease in the front and not enough in the back...not sure why....i have double checked my markings did you have that problem?...Yours looks absolutely wonderful. You are right I wish i would have raised the neckline just a little....Burda is getting pretty brave with the necklines in the last few issues.
Elemenopeo said... (4/29/07 8:44 PM) Reply
All your work paid off in spades on this beauty. I like it so much in that color.
Sew4Fun said... (4/29/07 7:18 PM) Reply
Nice blouse. It's nice to see it sewn up as I have my eye on this pattern.
Erica B. said... (4/29/07 4:13 PM) Reply
Beautiful! I love the cut of this jacket and the fabric.
Heatherrique said... (4/29/07 3:22 PM) Reply
Luscious and lovely, Nata!
HawkeMorningStar7 said... (4/29/07 3:18 PM) Reply
WOW, stunning jacket. Love the dupioni. Great special touches.
slanden99 said... (4/29/07 3:11 PM) Reply
Beautiful jacket! You did a fantastic job on it
Nancywin said... (4/29/07 2:09 PM) Reply
I have loved this jacket ever since I first saw it in BWOF. Yours turned out beautifully. Since this jacket couldn't really be worn unbuttoned, dupioni is a perfect choice and you can wear it as a blouse.
maryfrana said... (4/29/07 12:53 PM) Reply
Stunning design and fabric choice. Just gorgeous
Vonnevo said... (4/29/07 11:49 AM) Reply
Fabulous Nata !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Em's Summer said... (4/29/07 11:22 AM) Reply
What a classic blouse! It's just beautiful!
blue mooney said... (4/29/07 10:12 AM) Reply
Really nice! I like this better as a top than a jacket, and I think the split cuff is a really good idea, too. Wear it and love it!
Debbie Cook said... (4/29/07 9:50 AM) Reply
Very pretty! Great fabric color and your pattern & style changes are perfect.
carolynw said... (4/29/07 9:35 AM) Reply
Lovely - I am one of those who would drop my money in a store without a second thought if this was RTW. Lovely color and beautiful style - very, very classy!
Seamingly Simple said... (4/29/07 8:21 AM) Reply
Your fabric is gorgeous and well suited for this pattern. I agree that the split cuffs better suit this design than shirt jacket cuffs. This is a very attractive top.
Marji said... (4/29/07 7:32 AM) Reply
Really nice interpretation of that design Nata.
MissCelie said... (4/29/07 6:52 AM) Reply
that color is stunning. it looks very expensive and really well done.
Katharine in BXL said... (4/29/07 6:04 AM) Reply
Very, very clever sewing and a breathtaking garment. Bravo!
jlg said... (4/29/07 5:18 AM) Reply
This is so beautiful and beautifully made.
Liana said... (4/29/07 1:49 AM) Reply
Very pretty, and I like your changes very much! Enjoy wearing it.
KarmenG said... (4/29/07 0:53 AM) Reply
Beautiful Nata! Your garment is wonderful. I like it as a blouse. And the sleeves look very nice.
MichelleE said... (4/29/07 0:39 AM) Reply
Gorgeous version of this jacket!
ribbit2jen said... (4/29/07 0:26 AM) Reply
Very nice, love it!!!
Annika said... (4/28/07 11:51 PM) Reply
SandraB said... (4/28/07 11:09 PM) Reply
Very nice Jacket. The colour and style are gorgeous.
Lilibet said... (4/28/07 11:06 PM) Reply
Very swish looking. I like your sleeve treatment.
MelissaB in WA said... (4/28/07 10:55 PM) Reply
Gorgeous! I love the color and the style both. Thank you for the detailed review, you should be proud of your work! :-)
pinemeadows said... (4/28/07 10:34 PM) Reply
This is stunning! I love the neckline - and the fabric!
quilter55 said... (4/28/07 10:29 PM) Reply
I agree your top looks very much like RTW and is just beautiful. And very expensive looking!
quilter55 said... (4/28/07 10:29 PM) Reply
Puppy said... (4/28/07 10:16 PM) Reply
Let me be the first to say, and I'm sure many will agree, that this is a very classy looking RTW-like top. The kind that when you ask yourself if you would buy it if you saw it in a store, the answer would surely be yes!
All About Linings