Online Sewing Class: Clone Your Favorite Garment

Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 8353 (Divine Details)

Viewed 1987 times
Reviewed by:Ann Smith

About Ann Smithstarstarstarstar
Posted on:5/1/07 12:41 PM
Last Updated:5/1/07 12:48 PM

wendlesue said... (7/8/08 11:52 PM) Reply
Great job on the dress. It is adorable!
AlexaNJ said... (5/19/07 1:58 PM) Reply
This looks awesome! I remember admiring the pattern, and you did a great job!!
Sherril Miller said... (5/9/07 7:06 PM) Reply
Ann, your dress is so cute! Thank you for reviewing it. Now I want to sew checks!
AnneM said... (5/9/07 4:34 PM) Reply
Neat. It does look complex. It makes a great dress. Great information on the sizing info & tuck info. I might have to get this pattern; it is just too cool of a dress when done up in a gingham.
JDpenelope said... (5/2/07 5:58 PM) Reply
It's a great result and I think you've inspired or maybe liberated a lot of folks to get busy! It may be easy for you, but I don't think I'm ready for those tucks or the fitting issues, yet.
Dmd4106 said... (5/2/07 5:51 PM) Reply
Wow! so u say its a muslin. Plenty wearable i would say. Very flattering. Thx for the review.
Laurie Lou said... (5/2/07 4:43 PM) Reply
Thanks for the helpful review. I also bought this pattern and have not made it up because I can only find the picnic gingham. But I thought it ws such a clever idea and your detaileed review has given much needed insite to what to expect. Thanks for sharing!
Msews2 said... (5/2/07 12:14 PM) Reply
Thank you so much for this review! I have been searching everywhere for brown lace, since I also want to do it in brown. Your comments are very helpful. I love how it looks on you--if I find a source for the dark brown lace, I'll let you know.
suzanrossi said... (5/2/07 11:37 AM) Reply
Beautiful dress and you look lovely in it.
Soliel said... (5/2/07 11:28 AM) Reply
WOW What a FABULOUS DRESS!!! I looked at this one a long time...but could not believe it was "easy"...so I did not buy. But it is really cute, very special and you did a good job. Love it.
OP Gal said... (5/2/07 11:07 AM) Reply
Easy? It sounds difficult to me. The end result looks wonderful, though, and you look lovely in it.
Barbara at Cat Fur Studio said... (5/2/07 10:34 AM) Reply
Ann, you did a wonderful job making this fit you, and the checks are perfect. A great fresh spring look!
suzyQ said... (5/2/07 9:57 AM) Reply
Great review and dress. I've been admiring this and now am not afraid to tackle it.
Cecile Owens said... (5/2/07 9:31 AM) Reply
As usual, a fabulous result and very becoming--and I love that in each review that you produce, there are shoes to match. I think you must have a secret room only for shoes. Keep up the great work and thank you.
Modiste Madness said... (5/2/07 9:19 AM) Reply
I wander if that dress turns out like the picture. I like it on you and the side seams don't make a difference at all. I think it adds an interesting design touch to end the horizontal stripes there instead of them continuing all the way around.
Leora said... (5/2/07 9:11 AM) Reply
Lovely dress on you! Thank you for the detailed review.
Danvillegirl said... (5/2/07 5:17 AM) Reply
Really nice looking dress. Even the adjustments you made for waist seem to work and not take away from the look. Great job.
cnp71203 said... (5/2/07 3:31 AM) Reply
I love it! I have this pattern but was looking for a vertical stripe that will work instead of a check. I love yours in the gingham, though, so I may not wait much longer!
Lori V said... (5/1/07 10:33 PM) Reply
This is so stunning, great job.
Kelly D. said... (5/1/07 10:16 PM) Reply
This dress is as flattering on you as I suspected it would be! I'll keep looking for the pattern. It was sold out at Hancock's last week.
Schnauzer said... (5/1/07 9:15 PM) Reply
Really lovely dress Ann!
DeAnna said... (5/1/07 8:57 PM) Reply
It's a beautiful dress and I love your giant companion too.
ALY said... (5/1/07 8:12 PM) Reply
Thanks for the review. The dress looks great. I have this cut out and plan to sew it up this weekend. I had the same problems finding natural fabric. Only 1" check I could find was yellow and red silk at FFC. Too bright. I ended up using some p/c teal/black check in my stash.
Sharon M said... (5/1/07 6:37 PM) Reply
Cute dress. I have this one almost completed and ran into the same problem with the ease at the waistline. If you are off just a tiny bit when sewing those tucks it really adds up! Now that the weather is finally warming up, I guess I should pull mine out and finish it.
Carolyndh said... (5/1/07 5:37 PM) Reply
You look so lovely in this pattern. I love the way your dress turned out. Others will follow your lead for sure.
hongkongshopper said... (5/1/07 5:36 PM) Reply
This looks really good on you.
Christina Sonja said... (5/1/07 4:53 PM) Reply
Wow, the finished effect is beautiful, I can't stop looking at it!
MissCelie said... (5/1/07 3:11 PM) Reply
Muslin? Wow. I've got to get away from plain old, well, muslin. It's an adorable look and neat use of the fabric to get the waist effect.
CarolynGM said... (5/1/07 3:04 PM) Reply
I thought I could pass on this pattern until I saw your dress and review. It looks so cute on you! It sounds like it is easier to make than it looks too. It's on my list now for the next Vogue sale.
cindy-lou said... (5/1/07 2:50 PM) Reply
I covet this dress. Thanks for the great review!
Skymom said... (5/1/07 2:35 PM) Reply
I like this a lot better on you than on the beanpole in the Vogue photo. Thanks for the review--I thought this looked really tedious and complicated, but now I'm thinking it might be OK to sew after all!
marjenann said... (5/1/07 2:15 PM) Reply
You look terrific in your new dress! The shoes are great too!! Loved the review!
Erica B. said... (5/1/07 2:05 PM) Reply
Even if you say it's a muslin, I think it's adorable and looks great on you.
pterion said... (5/1/07 1:50 PM) Reply
What a fun interesting style! I love how the tucks work with the gingham. Lovely!
HawkeMorningStar7 said... (5/1/07 1:44 PM) Reply
Wondeful dress, thanks so much for writing review. I have pattern and B/W 1" check fabric but confused as to how to lay out patterns as from one end of row of tucks to end of them , they do NOT match the checks, ie last row is off some. Fabric is not off grain, I'll have to pucker the pattern. Thanks for tips on it being snug
nicegirl said... (5/1/07 1:38 PM) Reply
So happy to see this one made up! It looks great on you. As a flat chested girl, I can't wear this, sadly, so I have to live vicariously.
cindyann said... (5/1/07 1:33 PM) Reply
That is such a great dress. Very flattering on you. Such a cool design.
ladybegood said... (5/1/07 1:07 PM) Reply
Thanks for the info on the sizing. I was considering sewing a size smaller than usual, because there is so much ease in this, but now I know not to.
SueV said... (5/1/07 1:05 PM) Reply
very nice; I'm glad you reviewed this. I have the checked fabric, and recently ordered the pattern from Vogue's sale. I think I have some black lace too. Thanks for the heads up on the waist! Looks very nice and summery on you.

by: hacutler