Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 2949 (Misses Topper)

Reviewed by:Brodie

About Brodiestar
BC CANADA
Member since: 5/6/07
Posted on:5/9/07 11:01 PM
Last Updated:5/9/07 11:04 PM
Pattern Size:Plus-Sized

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 12 people
See other patterns in this category: Kids(boys & girls)
AnneM said... (5/16/07 5:55 AM) Reply
I just recently got my 1st vintage pattern and finally realized what they meant when they said "unprinted pattern". Great jacket, what a fun style. And such a nice gift. This sounds like a great learning experience. The buttonhole placement is a great design feature. Remember - they aren't mistakes, they are design opportunities. (I haven't dared do that vintage pattern I mentioned, not wanting to dive into that learning experience myself just yet.) Love those bound buttonhole instructions.
MelissaB in WA said... (5/11/07 11:06 PM) Reply
Gorgeous!!!
Sewbe said... (5/10/07 11:44 PM) Reply
The jacket is gorgeous. Your friend is lucky to get it! Thank you also for the nice review. I really enjoyed reading it! I think you should write a novel that involves sewing/friendship/life etc.... I'd love to read it! Be well!
MarieT said... (5/10/07 8:48 PM) Reply
What a beautiful learning experience. I love the quirky buttonholes and the colour. It's all about the journey... and, if you're lucky, you end up with something you love (or someone loves!). Congratulations, it looks beautiful.... Kelly green, right??? Marie
brrmm said... (5/10/07 8:28 PM) Reply
Stunning, stunning jacket. Absolutely gorgeous colour and I can tell it's beautifully made. Wow an under $5 dramatic garment that looks like something from a boutique for over $800. Thanks for a peek and your review.
regine said... (5/10/07 1:45 PM) Reply
I loved your review, thanks
tweedcurtain said... (5/10/07 11:17 AM) Reply
Thanks for sharing. It strikes me as the type of jacket that someone with "a flair for dama" would be able to carry well. As for the assumption of sewing skills, BWOF must have taken their pattern instruction writing lessons from these folks!
Sport said... (5/10/07 10:12 AM) Reply
Gorgeous! I'd like to sign up as a recipient of your Sewing For Friends program! Indygo Junction's Trench Topper (IJ740) isn't exactly like your topper, but similar, and I'm inspired to give it a go. For information on old patterns, check this out on PR: twistedangel Working with unprinted patterns (Antique or Vintage) (Tip/Technique).
cathy45 said... (5/10/07 10:11 AM) Reply
Wow! I love it. Love the color. Love the collar. Love, love the button placement. What a fun jacket!
carolynw said... (5/10/07 9:04 AM) Reply
What a beautiful jacket! The colour is outstanding and I personally think you chose the right fabric for this.
MissCelie said... (5/10/07 7:54 AM) Reply
Taht is just beautiful. I love the button placement. Clearly, I need to start going to my local thrift stores!
marjenann said... (5/10/07 6:53 AM) Reply
What a journey!!! The results are well worth the trouble!!! The "topper" is to die for!
Sigrid. said... (5/10/07 2:45 AM) Reply
Wonderful!!! Thanks for your great review.
Christina Sonja said... (5/10/07 1:24 AM) Reply
I've never used one of these vintage patterns that has no printing so it is interesting to hear about it (how the grainline is marked with the largest holes, etc). Thanks for sharing.
EveS said... (5/10/07 0:30 AM) Reply
Ooooh my favorite color AND it's a fabulous jacket!!!!! Thanks for the heads up on the vintage patterns...I'm waiting for 3 1950-ish patterns to arrive in the mail. Considering my level of experience or lack thereof, I really appreciate (and will heed) your warning. And you win the prize for steal of the century! I'd have peed my pants if I found that fabric for $3/yd!! Again, beautiful work!!!
ladykicks said... (5/9/07 11:52 PM) Reply
Wow...I really love the button placement. I am going to do this on something. Good job on thinking 'out of the box.'
Englebert said... (5/9/07 11:33 PM) Reply
Love your jacket!!
Em's Summer said... (5/9/07 11:23 PM) Reply
This is soo cute! You did a great job!
Annika said... (5/9/07 11:17 PM) Reply
Very very cool!
Heatherrique said... (5/9/07 11:07 PM) Reply
I just adore this upscale groovy jacket and scrumptious color! Super job on a classic that looks so fashionable today!

9 inch Bent Handle Scissors