Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 4109 (Built By Wendy Jacket)

Reviewed by:mlt

About mltstar
NC USA
Member since: 5/25/04
Posted on:5/9/07 8:51 PM
Last Updated:5/17/07 10:09 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 6 people
See other patterns in this category: Coat/Jacket
AnneM said... (8/27/07 8:59 PM) Reply
Just saw your new & improved jacket. What a fantastic before & after shot. I'm totally impressed. Makes me think I really should hem that skirt that's the wrong length. (I agree w/ SewTwin on the smile as well. :) )
SewTwin said... (6/6/07 7:31 PM) Reply
Forget the dress, WHAT a charming smile! The jacket is "Perfecto" now, though.It helps to have 10-15 extra opinons, huh? This would "make" a SWAP outfit..You go, girl!
SewTwin said... (6/6/07 4:32 PM) Reply
Sherril Miller said... (5/18/07 6:41 PM) Reply
You got the sleeve length just right. It's a very flattering jacket and I think you should make more.
Mandolin82 said... (5/18/07 4:31 PM) Reply
I think this is a real lesson on how a small change can make a huge difference. Way to go, it looks great!
Sewingmi said... (5/18/07 2:30 PM) Reply
That is a beautiful jacket! Very inspiring!
quiltsammon said... (5/18/07 2:20 PM) Reply
Looks great!!! Funny how just one simple change can make such a difference!! Enjoy wearing your beautiful outfit!!
nicegirl said... (5/18/07 12:44 PM) Reply
Shortening the sleeves does make a difference. Looks so cute!
cindyann said... (5/18/07 9:19 AM) Reply
That made such a difference! Looked great before, looks fabulous now.
mlt said... (5/18/07 8:21 AM) Reply
Thanks for the compliments ladies. Yep, the one and only change I made was sleeve length. Even DH understood when he saw the pics side by side :)
fuzzygalore said... (5/18/07 5:34 AM) Reply
OK, I liked it with the original sleeves, but I eat my words - it's better with the shorter ones. In fact, it's totally fabulous :-). Good for you!
Suesews said... (5/18/07 5:11 AM) Reply
I vote for the shorter sleeves. Absolutely wonderful outfit!
FloraNature said... (5/18/07 3:09 AM) Reply
Wonderful - what a difference a couple of inches make!
Dmd4106 said... (5/18/07 0:26 AM) Reply
Its amazing how a small alteration made a nice outfit better. Very flattering! Good review
MissCelie said... (5/17/07 11:39 PM) Reply
Wonderful difference in the sleeve length. Looking good!
Melody said... (5/17/07 10:38 PM) Reply
This is a great outfit and it's very flattering. I have to agree with those who suggest shortening the sleeves. Beautiful job on both pieces.
carolynw said... (5/17/07 10:25 PM) Reply
I liked it before but now I REALLY LIKE THIS! Did you only change the sleeves? Looks so different. You look so nice in this outfit.
ladykicks said... (5/17/07 10:19 PM) Reply
Did you make any other changes besides shortening the sleeves? I think the entire jacket looks much more fitted now--very attractive. Funny how much difference a couple of inches can make!
AnneM said... (5/16/07 6:12 AM) Reply
Congrats on your jacket, and thanks for the greaet review. I think the length of the sleeves, being the same as the jacket bottom, add width, which is probably not what you are looking for. However, IRL you won't be standing still, so other than posing for a picture I doubt it really matters.
moss said... (5/11/07 3:20 PM) Reply
that jacket looks FABULOUS on you!
mlt said... (5/10/07 2:55 PM) Reply
Thanks for all the opinions! I think I'm going to shorten the sleeves soon and I'll post a comparison pic.
fuzzygalore said... (5/10/07 2:10 PM) Reply
Mmm. I think I'm going to vote against the pack, and say how much I like the jacket and sleeves the same length, that it gives a nice capelet effect. But if you disagree, I'd go with shortening the sleeves instead of the body, to keep to the spirit of the original. However I second the suggestion to enlarge the buttonholes and use larger buttons, I think that's an essential part of the look. But you know what? It's all nitpicking - the jacket looks great on you, it's great with the dress, you look smashing.
FloraNature said... (5/10/07 1:08 PM) Reply
That is a beautiful jacket - I would not have given this pattern a second look. Those fabrics go very well together! It would be even more flattering if the hem and sleeves were at different lengths. I'd go for the easiest option on this one, shortening the sleeve. If you were to make another, I'd consider shortening the hemline to about waist level (as another reviewer has already suggested), and also finding some nice larger buttons, they are so *in* this year, and would really give the jacket a designer look.
carolynw said... (5/10/07 9:08 AM) Reply
This looks very nice on you but I do agree with the suggestion that you shorten the sleeves - I think on any size person having the darktop portion cut all at the same level is not the best as your eye will automatically follow the horizontal line created.
Irene Q said... (5/10/07 8:56 AM) Reply
Really cute outfit! I agree that the sleeves probably shouldn't be the same length as the jacket, although that may be something only people on PR notice. :-)
quiltsammon said... (5/10/07 1:33 AM) Reply
I love this combination!!! So pretty! I wonder though, if you were to bring the jacket, instead of the sleeves, up a couple of inches if we would notice your beautiful curvy waist. Hmm... I think something needs to hit you at the waist, whether it be the sleeves or the jacket. Boy you look good in that dress!!! And those colors look sooo good. You should go out this weekend! And then could you bring your good taste to my house and help me pick out colors and patterns!
frame said... (5/10/07 1:12 AM) Reply
Your jacket looks great. Great fit.
Sherril Miller said... (5/9/07 11:25 PM) Reply
I think that the sleeves need to be either shorter or longer. They hit you at the same length as the jacket essentially cutting you in half in a not so flattering place. The fit on your jacket turned out great and I really like the pattern. Just shorten the sleeves and you'll have one great jacket. Thanks for the info about your FBA.
touran said... (5/9/07 9:19 PM) Reply
That is adorable on you. It's a great look.

StyleArc Steffi Jacket

by: Polycotton

HotPatterns 1168

by: Speech gir...

Sew Chic Starter Skirt Pattern (ln1000)

Sew Chic Starter Skirt Pattern (ln1000)

Victoria Jones Collection 309 Womens' Long Dress