Pattern Reviews> Butterick> 4657 (Maggy London Ruched Dress)

Reviewed by:nicegirl

About nicegirlstarstarstarstar
Member since: 5/10/06
Posted on:5/17/07 1:12 PM
Last Updated:5/17/07 1:12 PM
See other patterns in this category: Formalwear

MarianS said... (8/17/09 6:44 PM) Reply
Thanks for all the good advice. I'm not so sure if I want to tackle this now. I've got the pattern & fabrics, but I know it will be a huge challange.
sewingripper said... (5/12/09 4:41 PM) Reply
Thanks for the many tips. I am making this for my sister who will mother of the bride. Side zipper, lower back--great ideas that my sister appreciates. I am also glad to know to set aside plenty of time for this one, on top of the five bridesmaids gowns and bridal gown alterations. Thanks, great review
Gngr said... (12/30/08 4:16 PM) Reply
Several helpful comments here: on the drooping ruching and also on seam trimming at the shoulder, zipper placement, skirt lining. I am about to embark on this pattern in a silk georgette over crepe for a client, as a bridesmaid's dress. What kind of a bra is suitable for this dress?
Samdance said... (7/13/08 10:51 AM) Reply
I just finished making up this pattern, and wore it last night. Your review and the others were so helpful, I had some of the same issues (like drooping ruched parts) but they didn't stop me in my tracks like they might have.
missew said... (9/27/07 8:49 AM) Reply
Fabulous dress, it looks beautiful on you! I'm about to start making mine and I hope it comes out as good as yours. Thanks for the review it will be of great help.
SewTwin said... (6/12/07 3:15 AM) Reply
Wow! What a dress! This look is worth twice the price! You have great nerve cutting into that fabric! I hope to make some flimsy tops for summer. We will see........
AnneM said... (5/30/07 5:09 PM) Reply
Very nice; it really looks great. Elegant (and it doesn't look crooked on you). You don't look mournful in the picture, just cute - I like how you pose reminiscent of the pattern picture. (I try to do that but I'm not as good at it as you.) Excellent dress to wear any time you have an excuse. I probably won't be trying this, though, if it took you 3 weeks to make.
Jane S said... (5/20/07 7:13 PM) Reply
Exquisite dress and you look wonderful wearing it...even with the model "mood."
greenmommie said... (5/18/07 11:26 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress and Kudos to you for finishing it! I started a Maggy London dress lst summer for a wedding and it's still a ufo. Your's is just amazing!
tweedcurtain said... (5/18/07 11:01 PM) Reply
Lovely marriage of fabric and pattern. I have this pattern and while your finished result inspires me to try it, your frank and honest report of the effort required has me sitting on the fence! Nordstrom has a similar dress here:
slanden99 said... (5/18/07 6:05 PM) Reply
Absolutely beautiful dress!
chrisquilts_2 said... (5/18/07 10:33 AM) Reply
you've done it again! beautiful.
LorelleD said... (5/18/07 5:44 AM) Reply
Gorgeous dress. It looks really beautiful on you. Thanks for the review. Very informative.
Danvillegirl said... (5/18/07 5:32 AM) Reply
Pretty dress!
Dmd4106 said... (5/18/07 1:55 AM) Reply
So very pretty. I luv the print.Great review. I like it when reviewers note the time construct took them, even though we all are at different levels and speed. Its me judge whether its realistically doable for me. :-)
Carolyndh said... (5/18/07 1:01 AM) Reply
Another very classy creation of yours! Awesome party dress.
Nancywin said... (5/18/07 0:10 AM) Reply
Another outstanding dress NG. Glad you used that tgtbu fabric!
MissCelie said... (5/17/07 11:44 PM) Reply
Just great. We'll have to coordinate our outfits for our outing!
EastwoodFan said... (5/17/07 11:28 PM) Reply
Thanks for an informative review. Beautiful dress & fabric.
carolynw said... (5/17/07 10:37 PM) Reply
Well there you go again - another winner. Glad you could tell us of someone of the opposite sex attracted to you and this dress - you are getting rave reviews here but all women Ha Ha!! You look lovely as always even tho you say that you were tired.
SarahWeb said... (5/17/07 9:24 PM) Reply
Very cute dress, and well modeled. I love the colors on you. You need to do more weddings!
mochalover said... (5/17/07 7:34 PM) Reply
Another great dress. I am so envious. Where do you get the time?
Tiner W said... (5/17/07 4:40 PM) Reply
Fabulous dress!
HawkeMorningStar7 said... (5/17/07 4:25 PM) Reply
Lovely dress, you look so beautiful in it. All that hard work..super effort..LOVE you reviews!
Seaspur said... (5/17/07 3:32 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress, fantastice review.
Vonnevo said... (5/17/07 3:29 PM) Reply
Love it ...and your review :)))
Vivienne said... (5/17/07 3:26 PM) Reply
My first reaction to the photo was "Trena should get married in this dress". This dress stops and starts in all the right places. You look fabulous.
Levone said... (5/17/07 2:29 PM) Reply
Gorgeous dress! I loved reading your review of it. :-)
Karen6790 said... (5/17/07 1:42 PM) Reply
That fabric was definitely worth holding onto all those years - this was the right dress for it, though I don't envy you the joy of cutting all those fiddly pieces out of silk chiffon. Beautiful dress, and it looks great on you.
krissie said... (5/17/07 1:34 PM) Reply
Beautiful, beautiful dress! I think you have made a $500 dress, not a $178 dress. You matched fabric to pattern needs very well. My figure is similar to yours, so I enjoyed hearing your friend's comment. And you look like you're having lots of fun!
jjwalker said... (5/17/07 1:17 PM) Reply
So VERY gorgeous. Your fabric (too good to use) was just waiting for the right thing to be used for...:) Love it - and you did a great job with the zipper, I always love your innovation with stuff like that.

No Pattern Used 00000