Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 2556 (issey miyake designer original)

Reviewed by:nanneke

Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people
Current Tags What is a Tag:
Fabric:Cotton Jersey  [See other projects in this fabric]
Pattern Description:
close-fitting, straight, wrap, above ankle skirt (below waist) has front and back cut-in-one (no side seems), pleats and underlay, and snap tape. All hems are unfinished. There is a dress in the pattern.

Pattern Sizing:
14-16-18

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes I think so. The picture didn't show any details at all, so no picture, sorry!

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Extremely easy, difficult to understand where it was going, but just follow the markings

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
The last summer I made a real (Indonesian) sarong made of cotton. That is a wrapped piece of cotton , only tucked in at the side, I made a zipper to feel more safe. This is not very far from the Miyake skirt.
The cotton lycra wrapped around me looked like the Miyake skirt even before I started cutting the pattern, so what did the pattern do? Also, the place of the snap tapes was not perfect for me. I ended up cutting 10 cm snap tape from the contrast side and 7 cm from the other outer side away. The ends just fall down like on the picture of the pattern.
The pattern is called below-waist, but isn't. On the pattern you see a marking for the waist and above the marking some cm more material to be cut.

Fabric Used:
Cotton lycra. I washed it before starting, it came out less rectangular, which made the cutting more difficult, but the material is wonderful, and perfect for this skirt. I had to cut it on the floor.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made:
I made a 14 instead of the usual 16, on recommendations of the other reviewers. I made the skirt 20 cm longer as the pattern is ment for a 1.68 person and I'm 1.80. It should be above ankle, but I like it a bit longer.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
No. If you want to : find a second hand pattern or some sale, as it is really expensive for what it offers

Conclusion
I love the result, it is very nice to wear at home, I hope also in summer. I think I can walk in it, but I certainly wouldn't like to ride my bicycle in it, as it has no closed seems!

A month later:
I couldn't get used to feel of the the snap tapes. I took the skirt apart and will make a "normal" sarong without snaptape
I like the material, and perhaps the pattern.
Years later: I still owe the stripped down skirt. You might like to make the dress in the same pattern, it looks nice.

Helen near Sydney said...
I love that you've chosen something original and unusual to make, a true 'designer' pattern. Would like to see a photo but your review gives me a good idea of the process, so thankyou.
7/16/07 4:04 AM