Pattern Reviews> Kwik Sew> 3430 (Boys Swim Trunks)

Reviewed by:MelissaB in WA

About MelissaB in WAstarstarstarstar
United States
Member since: 3/18/04
Posted on:6/1/07 5:29 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 8 people
See other patterns in this category: Kids(boys & girls)
MelissaB in WA said... (7/12/10 10:56 AM) Reply
The inner lining was an athletic mesh I got from a local fabric store that is no longer in business. I'm honestly not sure where to buy it at now. You might do a Google search to see where you can buy it. The mesh I used had very small holes and looked very similar to the RTW swim trunks my boys had. I've been very pleased with this pattern and actually need to sew up another pair or two for my oldest as he's hit a growth spurt and has about outgrown the ones from last year. Definitely a keep of a pattern!
smutnys said... (7/11/10 6:31 AM) Reply
Nice shorts. I just bought this pattern for my boys and I'm wondering if you could give me some more info on the white mesh liner you used. Not only would I like to make them swim trunks, but I would also like to use this pattern to make athletic mesh shorts for them.
Hilary said... (6/7/07 3:47 PM) Reply
These look really really good-the patches make all the difference! I know what you mean about your heart not really being in it-I have some projects like that right now (boys' shorts, as a matter of fact ;o) )
pterion said... (6/4/07 1:15 PM) Reply
I think these look great. I sympathize about the nylon supplex since I've sewn with it too. It does have its uses but is not fun to sew.
slanden99 said... (6/2/07 7:48 PM) Reply
Nice swimming trunks! I know what you mean about doing projects because you need something instead of because you're excited about it. Time for a fun project.
MelissaB in WA said... (6/2/07 8:30 AM) Reply
Jeanninem, I just used regular elastic in the waistband. We play out at the river a lot in the summer so I didn't figure I needed to buy swimwear elastic since the suits would rarely be in chlorinated water. To do the wasitband, I ended up making a casing and then inserting the elastic flat, it worked very well. HTH's!
Jeanninem said... (6/2/07 0:06 AM) Reply
Fantastic Melissa. How did you sew the waistband? Was it a special elastic?
Vonnevo said... (6/1/07 8:28 PM) Reply
Terrific result Melissa ! The swim shorts look better than RTW. Mt local Indy sells Supplex for swim shorts too, but I wonder if a 40% cotton/60& polyester might work OK too. The built in underwear is a good feature on this pattern.
Sew4Fun said... (6/1/07 8:28 PM) Reply
Great boardshorts. Thanks for the review!
MelissaB in WA said... (6/1/07 6:42 PM) Reply
Sherril, I really don't know what kind of fabric. I hated the Supplex because there was no give at all. I think a cotton blend (maybe cotton/nylon?) would be better. I need to snoop at the tag of my boys RTW suits and see what they are made of.
Sherril Miller said... (6/1/07 6:36 PM) Reply
Those are really cute. I'd like to make some for my DS. What kind of fabric would you recommend that would be easily found.
khurtdvm said... (6/1/07 5:32 PM) Reply
Those look really nice! I don't know what the point of pockets on swim trunks would be - I probably would have eliminated them, too!

Style 1646

by: FreyaStark

Simplicity 3803 (circa 1965)

by: sugarduck