Pattern Reviews> Jalie> 2005 (Choice of T-shirts)

Reviewed by:Rhonda Noah

Review Rating: Helpful by 4 people    Very Helpful by 8 people

Vesta Patterns

Sewing Patterns: Upcycling

Rhonda Noah said... (5/25/04 2:48 AM) Reply
Thanks for the suggestions ladies! The shoulder really doesn't look that bad, though, honest! My mirror can't be hung on the wall, so I have to kneel down and bend from the waist to photo myself, and it always results in contorted, odd looking pix. But what's a girl to do when DH isn't around? Anyway, I think you are right that I need to go down a size in the shoulders, but a FBA? For these fried eggs? Ladies, I'm flattered! ROTFLOL For someone who has this pattern close at hand, you can notice how the side seam sticks out at a point where it meets up with the armscye. My tank doesn't have this, and it fits much better under the arm. Hmm, mabye I'll take photos and post on the boards, so you can see what I mean....
Sherril Miller said... (5/24/04 3:10 PM) Reply
I agree with everyone. Do a FBA and I think you need to do a square shoulder alteration. Then it won't get hung up on you shoulder before settling on your neck. The way it hangs off your shoulder says you might go down a size, at least in the armsyce. This might get rid of the dart fold above your bust. You t-shirt looks very RTW. I have been using KS 2900 making a ton of different necklines and sleeves. Each shirt looks like a completely different pattern. A good t-shirt can be almost anything you want it to be. Glad your worked out.
Georgene said... (5/24/04 2:18 PM) Reply
Hi Rhonda, if you are using a stretchy enough fabric I would go down a size in the shoulder/armhole. It looks too wide at the cross chest at 5" down from the high point shoulder. You could definately scoop that out. And then your shoulder is wide, which is OK if you want a relaxed slightly drop shoulder. That's what leads me to believe you could go down a size in this area.
Elona said... (5/24/04 2:11 PM) Reply
Yeah, those little folds might indicate a need for a full bust adjustment. It looks as though the fabric might be "hung up" on the balcony, in a sense.
Debbie Cook said... (5/24/04 12:29 PM) Reply
Rhonda, I don't think the fold is unattractive (or noticeable) at all ... but since you pointed it out :-) ... I'm thinking maybe you need to go down a size or two and do a full bust adj because the armhole seam is off your shoulder. I've made a number of these t's too and they just keep getting better as I adjust the bust/shoulder. I've finally got a perfected version and love it! Yours looks great! BTW, where's the first photo??
MaryBeth said... (5/24/04 10:32 AM) Reply
Rhonda I think the fold is a result of the high, tight armhole. You can try to remove it by enlarging the depth of the armhole but IMO it's just part of the no-darted teeshirt landscape. It's certainly not unattractrive!
AnneM said... (5/24/04 10:24 AM) Reply
Don't worry; you can tell that's a picture-only double chin! I hadn't noticed that little fabric gather until you mentioned it. Maybe it gives more room to raise your arm? Does it disappear when you do that? If not, maybe you can fold it out from the pattern.
Rhonda Noah said... (12/6/03 3:53 AM) Reply
Janina, you might try ordering from where I got mine. Julie ships to the states and may ship elsewhere as well. You could also try ordering directly from the Jalie website, although I don't know the URL for that. maybe. This pattern is a real winner. I'm ready to make it again, maybe with long sleeves for winter. Gigi, I think you'll like this once you try it. It goes together like greased lightening, too, once you figure out the shoulder seams. (It was clear as mud to me my first time.)
Gigi Louis said... (12/5/03 8:00 AM) Reply
What a cute top, Rhonda! I have *got* to make this pattern - I think it's aged logn enough, lol.
Janina Poulton said... (12/5/03 2:29 AM) Reply
I would love to try this pattern! I live in australia is there some where here i can get this brand from?
Lisa Laree said... (11/18/03 10:08 PM) Reply
Thanks, Rhonda! The jury seems to be out on this; I read a couple of the other reviews that mentioned the top fit as cut to the measurements! I may just go ahead and make what I've got cut -- I have a very fine, limp stretchy rayon jersey that bagged out on another top that may work on this. If it's too little, I'll just pass it down to DD...I may cut the next size up for my EOS pannes.. ;)
Rhonda Noah said... (11/18/03 3:32 AM) Reply
Lisa, when I originally traced the top I erred on the 'larger' of size, and traced out the next largest. I have not been sorry. I am too squishy to like skin tight clothes, and prefer a bit of room. It would also depend on your fabric. One of my tops is a fabric with lots of stretch; it would have been fine in a smaller size. This latest fabric isn't as stretchy and would probably have been uncomfortable (to me) in my 'true' size. So, long story short, I'd recommend tracing off one size larger. You can always nip it in to fit. ;-)
Everyday Sewist said... (11/17/03 9:56 PM) Reply
P.S. I didn't mean to sound like I'm answering the question for Rhonda. I recently made this top a couple of times and so I had the fitting on my mind. :)
Everyday Sewist said... (11/17/03 9:53 PM) Reply
Lisa, this top has negative ease in the bust and a fitted waist. I followed the size chart, but added one or two inches of ease at the waist because I tend to have too many bulges in that area. I think the fit of this pattern is very nice, but you might want to measure the flat pattern in areas where you don't want it to be clingy, and decide on a minimum amount of ease that you will need in those areas.
Lisa Laree said... (11/17/03 8:47 PM) Reply
Rhonda, I was about halfway through tracing off this pattern (my compare-to-everything Cowl Top pattern seems to be missing in action at the moment). I was just tracing off the size indicated by my measurements, but after reading this I'm wondering...should I go up a size? Did you make the size the measurements indicated, or did you go up from there?
Rhonda Noah said... (11/16/03 2:31 AM) Reply
Thanks, ladies! Joos, this is a really great fitting pattern. It has the shaping of expensive RTW clothes.
Karla Kizer said... (11/15/03 11:12 AM) Reply
My customary test: if I saw this garment hanging on a full-price rack at the mall, would I reach for it? Inthis case, you bet! Looks great - classic, but up-to-date. And I agree: with Jalie, you get a professional, RTW look. Nice job, and thanks for sharing.
cindyann said... (11/15/03 10:34 AM) Reply
Once again, great job on this top. You've convinced me to try the boatneck version of this pattern.
Joos said... (11/14/03 7:11 PM) Reply
I'm looking for close fitting T-shirt too. Thks for the helpful review.
Jennifer shaw said... (6/27/03 11:49 PM) Reply
Rhonda, your top looks great! It is great to know of another great looking t-shirt pattern. Thanks for the great review.
Rhonda Noah said... (6/27/03 9:30 PM) Reply
Marybeth, it was a bad hair day, ok? LOL Next time, I promise! Irene, my original top from some poor quality cotton lycra, shrank in the wash, even though it had been prewashed. It was really too tight and uncomfortable. This is the exact same size though, and you can see that it is not skin tight. I have a third top that is the same fit as this one, so it had to be crummy fabric on the first one. And I did aim for a bit of positive ease, but not much. It is an extremely well-drafted pattern.
MaryBeth said... (6/27/03 7:19 PM) Reply
Where's your head? Nice top, Rhonda
Irene said... (6/27/03 4:43 PM) Reply
Rhonda, in your original review, you mentioned that you might trace a larger size the next time. Is the shirt in your photo traced from a larger size? Others have mentioned that this pattern has negative ease, and I'm wondering if you aimed for zero ease or a bit of positive ease. I have this pattern and am looking forward to making it, but I keep mulling over the ease question. Your top is very nice and fits you well!
els said... (6/27/03 4:14 PM) Reply
Great boatneck t.shirt Patti B this t.shirt can use a pair of lingerie quards for your sloping shoulders and for everyone who do not want their straps be seen.See the tip of making lingerie quards.
AnneM said... (6/27/03 3:00 PM) Reply
Thanks for the picture. Looks great. I like boatneck tops, & added this to my wishlist.
Ann C said... (6/12/03 4:10 PM) Reply
Heads up, everyone. This pattern is on sale for $9 this week from if you buy knit fabric to sew it from them also. I'm going back to order now.
Patti B said... (5/16/03 12:11 PM) Reply
I love boatnecks so I was delighted to see this review. I just made a boatneck tee and it looks great -- with one caveat. I have sloping shoulders (not narrow sloping shoulders) and the neckline is *very* wide. Right now I have my bra straps nailed to my shoulders so they don't slip down my arm! ;-) The fit is very nice but I think that for my shoulders, I will redraw the neck a bit. And now, on to the V-neck version....
Rhonda Noah said... (3/10/03 4:39 PM) Reply
Diane is right, Tessa, my comment refers to the pattern paper/package, and not the fit. I was used to small pattern packages and was just very surprised to see this quite large thing arrive! The fit on this is fabulous. I just sewed up another -literally finished it less than 10 minutes ago- and I just love it. I have plans for at least two more of the boat neck versions for me, and plan to sew some up for charity, too. I'm going to try a different method with the boat neckline on the next one, though, so I'll update my review and let everyone know if it was successful or not.
Diane E said... (3/10/03 4:23 PM) Reply
Hi Tessa, I think what Rhonda meant (although Rhonda, you can speak for yourself!) is that the pattern sheets are large, printed on stiff paper, and are not folded down to the size envelope that we're all used to. This envelope is about 9 1/2" x 12 1/2". Rhonda, I've reread your review and I'm so looking forward to using your neckline tips on my boatneck. Thanks!!
Tessa said... (3/10/03 2:39 PM) Reply
Could you explain what you mean by Jalie patterns being "very oversized?"
Everyday Sewist said... (2/1/03 10:47 PM) Reply
Rhonda, thanks for reviewing this pattern. I saw it on the Jalie site a while back and wondered if it was better than average. It sounds like it is indeed. And I also love the fact that it comes in all those sizes.
Rhonda Noah said... (2/1/03 8:13 PM) Reply
I should mention that my cotton/lycra did NOT come from Timmel Fabrics! It's a leftover from another project and I did this top as a muslin. My next fabric I have earmarked for this top is from Timmel and is much softer. I'll cut it out the same size and see how it works. Since this goes together so quickly, maybe I'll get it done in the next batch I cut out. Oh, and this is the camera month. Pictures will be accompanying my reviews soon! :-)
cindyann said... (2/1/03 6:24 PM) Reply
Thalnks Rhonda, this is exactly the kind of tee I've been looking for. I'm taking your work that it looks great. Wish you did have a digi. Thanks for thereview.
Dale C said... (2/1/03 4:22 PM) Reply
I ordered a few jalie patterns after reading some recent reviews and am looking forward to using them. They seem to be winners here, with a size for everyone in the family and stylish classic garments. I'm glad you wrote this review, it'll be helpful when mine arrive.... very patiently waiting.......very, very patiently waiting.... yeah right!
Diane E said... (2/1/03 1:41 PM) Reply
Thanks for your detailed and helpful review of this pattern. I am anxiously awaiting my pattern and fabric from Timmelfabrics and will whip it out of the envelope pronto when it arrives! Thanks for the tip about putting in a label: great idea! I also appreciate knowing about the negative ease. And Karla, thanks for the label ideas. What fun to make our own designer tees!
Karla Kizer said... (2/1/03 12:41 PM) Reply
Rhonda, I like the Jalie t-shirt patterns, too, and agree with you: they produce a RTW-looking garment that makes me feel like a real sewing expert. I do have some suggestions for a label on the back: Jalie sells their own label, and I've used that on the sleeve of a couple of shirts. I've also bought regimental striped ribbon, folded it into a neat small rectangle, and toptitched it to pockets and back necklines. It has kind of a Tommy Hilfiger look. Glad you find a pattern you like so much; you've inspired me to get my copy out and use it again.
kerina said... (2/1/03 10:55 AM) Reply
Wow, Rhonda, this top looks really nice. I'm sure yours is fabulous. I really like that boat neckline too! I hadn't heard of Jalie before and checked out their website. It looks like they have quite a few interesting patterns. Thanks for bringing them to my atttention.

Simplicity 3931 (from 1953)

by: sfshaza

Sew Chic Starter Skirt Pattern (ln1000)

Sew Chic Starter Skirt Pattern (ln1000)

Sew Chic MyrtleWood Dress Pattern (ln7401)

Sew Chic MyrtleWood Dress Pattern (ln7401)