Online Sewing Class: Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 7488 (Waistcoat)

Reviewed by:Philip Kime

About Philip Kimestar
Member since: 1/30/03

Posted on:2/1/03 9:10 PM
Last Updated:2/4/03 7:40 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Needs More Info by 1 people    Very Helpful by 4 people
See other patterns in this category: Mens - Jackets
Seanmt97 said... (11/14/11 5:08 PM) Reply
H. I just want to say, very nice job on the vest. I started making this same vest the other day, but I am stuck on the lapel bit. Vogue patterns are notorious for not being very clear/leaving things out. I was hoping that I could get some help?
Kaolyn said... (11/6/09 0:11 AM) Reply
I also found that the instructions for the lapel and collar on the waistcoat (B) were not clear. I have made many garments with lapels too so this should not have given me so much trouble. I found that not all areas of the pattern were trued up either, but was able to work with it. The result was really beautiful. I made this vest for my daughter's boyfriend who is a violist in an orchestra. Hope he likes it!
Jay Cadiramen said... (7/11/04 7:47 PM) Reply
Another fantastic vest/waistcoat!
Marita Kinnula said... (2/5/03 1:43 PM) Reply
Philip hi! I like this very much, and since I don't do much sewing for my brother or any other male, I was wondering would you be interested to have two Burda specials for men? If I can find them, I know they are Somewhere! LOL!!!
Skymom said... (2/5/03 12:17 PM) Reply
I wonder if you could change that collar from a notched collar to a shawl collar? That would solve the problem of the tricky points in a heavy fabric, perhaps. Nice work--I love the look!
GorgeousFabrics said... (2/4/03 8:04 PM) Reply
Wonderful work, Philip! I love the buttons. Bravo! -Ann
kittykate said... (2/3/03 2:22 AM) Reply
Wonderful work Philip, I'm going to pick up this pattern the next time Vogue goes on sale based on this review
Julia Graham said... (2/2/03 9:21 PM) Reply
Philip, my husband loves vests and I don't have much information about men's vest patterns. I'm really enjoying your reviews! Heavy old brown silk brocade from Edinburgh... how romantic! :-)
http mom said... (2/2/03 7:15 PM) Reply
Wow! These are both so very handsome! They look exactly period authentic as well. My daughter and I just rewatched the BBC/ A&E production of "Pride and Predjuice" and this reminds me again of the wonderful costume design in this series. You have done a beautiful job with these vests. Bravo!
Capri said... (2/2/03 4:32 PM) Reply
Nice cut to the pattern- glad you posted a photo. If you sew up any high fashion or unusual men's patterns, I hope you post the reviews!
AnneM said... (2/2/03 12:44 PM) Reply
Very sharp. Vogue pattern instructions do not seem very good to me; they assume you know a lot of steps, even in their easier patterns. (I have not tried very many of them, though.)
Philip Kime said... (2/2/03 12:02 PM) Reply
There should be a picture there now ...
Teri said... (2/1/03 11:00 PM) Reply
Philip, thanks for the review. It is so nice to get info on mens patterns.
Georgene said... (2/1/03 10:59 PM) Reply
Sounds great! I hope you will post a photo.

Favorite Things Little Sleep Well Pattern