Online Sewing Class: Understanding Knit Fabrics
Misses Sizes (Bust 30" - 44.5")] [Women's sizes (Bust 43" - 55")]">Fit the Tee to a T Online Sewing Class

Pattern Reviews> Burda> 8275

Last Updated:6/23/07 1:16 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 40 people
See other patterns in this category: Mens - Jackets
Mc Donna said... (8/24/11 7:06 PM) Reply
Stellar! Thank you for your very helpful review.
Michelle L said... (4/16/08 2:13 PM) Reply
Thank you for the great review. I am considering taking on a similar project and I have already printed out your review to keep close at hand!
Kathleen Fasanella said... (11/26/07 11:01 AM) Reply
Wow, quite impressive! Re: back diagonal wrinkles, the back shoulder is too high. Trim it down. The sportcoat underneath confirms it; the added hgt of that shoulder pad smooths the wrinkles out.
SandraB said... (8/15/07 6:08 PM) Reply
Great looking coat. You did a wonderful job.
prickly said... (7/29/07 11:01 PM) Reply
I just looked at the picture again. You can't see a collar. You can't see a button. You can't see anything but a black blob with a handkerchief and sleeves that are too long. How are people deciding to vote for THIS....IT'S ABSOLUTELY CRAZY.
prickly said... (7/29/07 10:52 PM) Reply
I really can not understand all of the rave reviews. It is completely impossible from the picture submitted to see ANY details whatsoever of this coat. This man could literally be wearing any topcoat from anywhere and submitting it for a contest. Not to say that that is what he did. But, I find that his long, long discourse about making the coat makes the whole thing less, not more, believable. How is it possible to actually fairly judge this submission for a contest, based on this picture. It just isn't. It isn't possible to really judge the proficiency of any sewing from a single picture submitted online. But, when it comes to submitting a dark picture of a dark coat, it's completely ridiculous. Let me add---a dark, BLURRY picture of a dark coat.
schmelkincat said... (7/26/07 1:48 PM) Reply
Wow - I don't leave comments often - but what an undertaking. Absolutely fabulous! I want to see more of your talented sewing and tailoring!
Marji said... (7/5/07 5:15 AM) Reply
Very impressive coat. So wonderful that you went well above and beyond the pattern to create a timeless piece that is truly high quality. Enjoy wearing it.
SewVeryTall said... (7/4/07 10:03 PM) Reply
Your patience and attention to detail really show in this coat. Love the upgrading too. You have made a handsome, and very high quality coat...and well-written review!
Donna H said... (7/4/07 2:25 PM) Reply
What can I say?? Awesome coat!
AnneM said... (7/1/07 12:03 PM) Reply
Great coat, the fabric looks spectacular even in the pictures. (My 2 cents, which is all it's worth, is yes, either thicker shoulder pads or tapering the shoulder slope slightly would help. If you taper, you'll want to reduce the height of the sleeve cap slightly as well.) I love seeing reviews for men's clothing, particularly more complex pieces like this one.
Modiste Madness said... (6/30/07 5:24 PM) Reply
I was tired just after reading about all your work. Totally wonderful job. I think you need to bless us all with another coat just to be worn over your shirts and sweators - takes care of that little wrinkle problem and we get to see another of your works!
LauraM62 said... (6/29/07 11:10 AM) Reply
Tom this is wonderful work !! If my DH seen this I know he'd be dropping hints like crazy! My little 2 cents - you say the wrinkles disappear with a sport coat? This type of coat my DH wears with his suits and/or sport coats, this isn't the type of coat he wears with just a shirt or sweater. Hence, I would assume that the extra arm & shoulder room is coverage of the extra jacket that generally is worn under these types of coats. Hence why the wrinkles disappear with your sport coat.
solosmocker said... (6/28/07 10:00 PM) Reply
Very informative review and your coat looks great.
Harriet Rogers said... (6/25/07 3:39 PM) Reply
Whoa: this coat is great looking--wonderful job. Time to move out of intermediate to advanced??? Thanks for terrific review.
Nancywin said... (6/24/07 1:08 AM) Reply
Tom, as others have already stated, this is very impressive work. It is beautifully done and you should be very proud of it. I am especially impressed with all the little details on top of the somewhat difficult fabrics that you chose. It's absolutely beautiful.
PegL said... (6/23/07 8:33 PM) Reply
Absolutely beautiful coat!! Great review too.
Irene Q said... (6/23/07 5:46 PM) Reply
Beautiful work, gorgeous coat!!!
Birgitte said... (6/23/07 5:00 PM) Reply
Fantastic! And an excellent review, thanks!
Erica B. said... (6/23/07 3:33 PM) Reply
Tom, that's one great looking coat!
Annette1 said... (6/23/07 2:46 PM) Reply
Oh my, what a LUSH combination of fabrics you have here, and it SHOWS, too. This is just beautiful. I'd like to put it on myself, just to see what it feels like. :o)
merry-one said... (6/23/07 1:36 PM) Reply
Beautiful coat! Impressive work.
Tom P said... (6/23/07 1:20 PM) Reply
Thanks so much for the feedback. You should all have a chance to feel it :). I've thought about thicker shoulder pads, and may try that if I need to open the lining. The problem is that the wrinkles are much smaller over a sport jacket, and in that case disappear if I just lift my shoulders a fraction of an inch. In future patterns, should I taper the shoulder seam on both front and back, or just in back?
Mary Stiefer said... (6/23/07 11:46 AM) Reply
Wow - I'm so impressed. This is grand. I love it and your tenacity in making something like this.
cindy-lou said... (6/23/07 8:38 AM) Reply
Yowzah! Amazing work. Proof that quality matters.
PixieCat said... (6/23/07 6:56 AM) Reply
Your coat is incredible! Thanks for all of the construction details. Excellent review!
HawkeMorningStar7 said... (6/22/07 11:28 PM) Reply
Absolutely fabulous overcoat Tom, impressive work. You put alot of care into this and it shows. Thanks for a very informative review, I am looking forward to seeing more of your work !
Karen8320 said... (6/22/07 11:12 PM) Reply
Tom, this is an exceptionally impressive piece of work! You have done such a great job and the finished garment looks magnificent. Your review is very comprehensive and you have added to my knowledge (alas not my ability!) about tailoring processes. I hope you receive many compliments on your coat.
MaryLynn in Long Beach said... (6/22/07 10:37 PM) Reply
Your coat is SERIOUSLY IMPRESSIVE. IT is glorious.
patma said... (6/22/07 10:15 PM) Reply
Awesome!
mastdenman said... (6/22/07 9:21 PM) Reply
Definitely can't let DH see this. It's wonderful.
LorelleD said... (6/22/07 9:03 PM) Reply
Thankyou for your review, it was a terrific read. Your coat looks really good on you and you have done an awsome job of making your coat.
Peggy L said... (6/22/07 8:45 PM) Reply
Excellant! Great review - thanks for sharing!
Immelu said... (6/22/07 8:30 PM) Reply
Wow!!! You did an awesome job! Someday, I hope to be able to do that! :)
Re Becca said... (6/22/07 8:04 PM) Reply
Wow! I saw your book reviews, and I was really hoping that you would review this. You put a lot of work into this and it shows. BRAVO!
Jill Giard said... (6/22/07 8:02 PM) Reply
Great job. Thanks for the details.
Karla Kizer said... (6/22/07 7:11 PM) Reply
I'm speechless...completely lacking in superlatives. Not only did you tackle a daunting tailoring project, you used BLACK fabric. My eyes hurt thinking about it. Congratulations on your results. (Shame-facedly slinking back to my t-shirt project now....)
said... (6/22/07 6:14 PM) Reply
Great looking overcoat!!!
carolynw said... (6/22/07 6:11 PM) Reply
Excellent job and your coat looks very expensive RTW. Larger shoulder pads may help with the wrinkles if they bother you but I do think once you have a jacket under it will make the wrinkles disappear.
Elemenopeo said... (6/22/07 5:48 PM) Reply
Very nicely done. It's a great coat!
Vonnevo said... (6/22/07 5:48 PM) Reply
A nice looking coat Tom ! Thanks for a V Helpful review :)
jbrewer said... (6/22/07 5:37 PM) Reply
Wow Tom! This is a very impressive coat. You should be very proud of your accomplishment. What do you think about thicker shoulder pads? I think that might help the diagonal wrinkles. If there is a "next time", you could sew the shoulder seam a little less square and slant downward at the top of the sleeve. That works for me. Again, great job!

Marfy 2264