Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 5766 (1940s bathing suit)

Reviewed by:nicegirl

About nicegirlstarstarstarstar
DC USA
Member since: 5/10/06
Posted on:6/26/07 10:16 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 14 people
JEF said... (3/9/11 10:50 PM) Reply
I am seeing your review years late but have to comment anyway - fantastic!!!!
Sickofitcindy said... (6/19/09 3:14 PM) Reply
That is too cute! Sherril is so sweet to share this with you. I'll have to add this to my "patterns to find" list.
KD said... (2/29/08 5:08 PM) Reply
I'm planning on sewing a similar suit, but with a built-in wrap skirt. I'm inspired!!
Anabolina said... (7/27/07 4:41 PM) Reply
Love it. You did a great job.
belphebe said... (7/25/07 6:35 PM) Reply
That is so cute! It looks great on you and I love the poses.
AnneM said... (7/6/07 8:35 PM) Reply
Very fun. They didn't actually wear them skin tight; bathing suits were slightly looser then than now (based on movies, anyway). I always love your ridiculous poses. :) And I'm not going to say what I just spent on some Speedo bathingsuits.
JeanetteE said... (6/30/07 11:21 PM) Reply
Absolutely delightful. Great job on the suit;& I just loved all of your sassy poses.
Mufffet said... (6/29/07 8:22 AM) Reply
Cute cute cute!!!! :)) Great fabric - LOOKS 40s!
carolynw said... (6/28/07 7:01 PM) Reply
Just too cute for words - green with envy at how lovely you look in this!! Well done erffort
Erica B. said... (6/27/07 9:07 PM) Reply
That is too adorable... I love it!
bunz said... (6/27/07 6:50 PM) Reply
Terrific!!! I vote for leaving the belt where it is -- spot on.
Mary Stiefer said... (6/27/07 6:12 PM) Reply
Love it -love it - these styles looks so fabulous on you.
Sherril Miller said... (6/27/07 5:54 PM) Reply
You suit looks absolutely adorable on your behind and not bad from the front either! I'm glad someone who could do the pattern justice was able to use it. P.S. I'm jealous of your ability to make slap dash sewing work for you. I'm too old school for it but I'm sure I'd get more done if I had your attitude.
Sharon M said... (6/27/07 4:43 PM) Reply
Oh what a fun swimsuit - and I love the photo poses!
Heatherrique said... (6/27/07 1:55 PM) Reply
Oh NiceGirl, you never cease to amaze us! You sure are the modern day Pin Up Girl! Your swimsuit is so hollywood glam! I love it! BTW: I suggest you go to your nearby policy provider and insure those gorgeous legs! Have fun in Greece! Say hi to Johnny Stamos for me!
MissCelie said... (6/27/07 7:44 AM) Reply
Girl. You have earned my *Very Helpful*. That's adorable!
zora said... (6/27/07 7:44 AM) Reply
Wow, you look great in this swimsuit! Why oh why is this pattern out of print? I love the style!
ryan's mom said... (6/27/07 6:58 AM) Reply
What a fabulous bathing suit and super style!!!
fuzzygalore said... (6/27/07 6:15 AM) Reply
Oh, this is so cool! Hard to tell what's the most adorable, the suit or the pictures :-). You could take a shower with it, and decide whether you might drown? Because looking fabulous at the pool would be nicely complemented by a bit of Esther-like swimming...
motomoda said... (6/27/07 5:07 AM) Reply
You need to complete the outfit with "a skirt made of pineapple cloth with a fringe at the side of the wrap-around of raffia. To harmonize with the "Waikiki" skirt there is a lei of rubber flowers to decorate the neckline of the bathing suit." You can see this lovely creation at http://www.cobbles.com/simpp_archive/1photo-collection.htm - see the Marion Davies photo! I was really looking for a photo of a fringed raffia hat for you but this is the best I could do:)
hongkongshopper said... (6/27/07 2:53 AM) Reply
Wow, what a fun outfit! I can just see you on a lounge with a cocktail (with the umbrella of course).
Sigrid. said... (6/27/07 2:43 AM) Reply
Wow, lovely swimsuit! And you look great, like the pictures in your album.
Jacqui315 said... (6/27/07 1:16 AM) Reply
Love it!!! I can't imagine it taking so much yardage. But you look fab in it!
Christina Sonja said... (6/27/07 1:12 AM) Reply
Okay, after having spent several hours yesterday trying on swimsuits (wth no resulting purchase), I'm totally jealous! What a great swimsuit. They just don't make 'em like they used to...
Leora said... (6/27/07 1:12 AM) Reply
3 yards? Wow. You know, this swimsuit is definitely more flattering than most of the styles available today. Great job!!
Vonnevo said... (6/27/07 1:03 AM) Reply
Totally fabulous nicegirl !! Love this style and all your poses too ! A big shout out to Sherrill for her kindness too :))
lmg said... (6/27/07 0:35 AM) Reply
Absolutely stupendous!
EveS said... (6/27/07 0:19 AM) Reply
Oh you have totally outdone yourself! This suit rocks (and I'll be trolling ebay you can bet)!!! A modest suit that's not matronly...I'm all about that! Thanks for the great review and kudos to Sherril for being a such a good egg!
EastwoodFan said... (6/26/07 11:35 PM) Reply
It's really a cute swimsuit. I like the ruching. These vintage patterns are so much fun. The belt that you made also adds a nice touch to the suit. Great job!
Nancy K said... (6/26/07 11:33 PM) Reply
Delightful review and I loved the web album. Great suit. 3 yards of fabric? Wow!
poplin said... (6/26/07 11:19 PM) Reply
Nice sunglasses, too!
pterion said... (6/26/07 10:46 PM) Reply
How adorable is that suit! Kind of makes one appreciate all the 'modern conveniences' we sewists now have. Enjoy Greece!
cindy-lou said... (6/26/07 10:36 PM) Reply
SOOOO vintage hip! Please don't stop breathing and drown while you're in Greece. I love the sailor-esque touches!
Karen6790 said... (6/26/07 10:33 PM) Reply
I absolutely love this. I can see why you think the print is a little busy with all the ruching, but that just gives you an excuse to make another one in a solid. Great job, and I love all the pictures too.
DoggyGirl said... (6/26/07 10:27 PM) Reply
This is adorable, and it looks really good on you!

by: emr