Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 8196 (Romantic Retro Blouse)

Reviewed by:ladybegood

About ladybegoodstarstar
Member since: 5/19/03
Posted on:6/27/07 0:59 AM
Last Updated:8/1/07 11:32 AM
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 18 people

Birdie757 said... (8/3/07 4:24 PM) Reply
I love the fact that you used pleats instead of gathers on the black top...I was just in Banana Republic today and a lot the tops had scoop neck lines with pleats instead of gathers...I really love the clean look the pleats give the top.
nicegirl said... (8/1/07 3:20 PM) Reply
That is great as a dress! I may have to pull my copy of the pattern back out. I love it as a blouse.
Tez said... (8/1/07 3:17 PM) Reply
Wow! All of these look great. I love the bias midriff inset. Very pretty.
mahalosu said... (8/1/07 9:05 AM) Reply
This pattern is half done and sitting in a wad in my sewing pile. I am going to dig it back out. I love what you did to the sleeves. Great improvement. And I like the dress idea.
MissCelie said... (8/1/07 6:32 AM) Reply
What fun, cool variations. You make it look so simple to just vary your pattern a little to change things up. I am in love with the red gingham!
Kim Winson said... (8/1/07 5:19 AM) Reply
Very cute shirts! The pleats look great, I'll have to copy your idea... I've had my eye on this pattern but I've shied away because of the button loops. Did you follow the pattern or did you use a different technique for making the button loops? thanks!
morzel said... (8/1/07 2:25 AM) Reply
I like your three versions of this top alot! Especially the idea of turning it into a dress is great and looks good!
elanor said... (6/28/07 5:41 PM) Reply
Lovely and a really great review. I am cutting this shirt tonight and am altering the sleeves, too. This is review couldn't be more helpful. Thanks a lot.
Danvillegirl said... (6/28/07 5:31 AM) Reply
Great job on both versions.
Nancywin said... (6/28/07 4:49 AM) Reply
Nice job on the tops - and good review. Thanks
MaryLynn in Long Beach said... (6/27/07 9:24 PM) Reply
Really really cute!
bunz said... (6/27/07 6:46 PM) Reply
You really managed to achieve a great fit on this -- looks very good on you.
ryan's mom said... (6/27/07 4:47 PM) Reply
Cute, cute, cute!!! I love this look on you.
ryan's mom said... (6/27/07 4:47 PM) Reply
Cute, cute, cute!!! I love this look on you.
mendospot said... (6/27/07 1:36 PM) Reply
I really like the gingham-like fabric top (the other is nice too!) I'm sitting straight as I write this! Ah, if only it would last.
lmg said... (6/27/07 1:12 PM) Reply
Lovely variations on this blouse, both the gingham and stripes. I think I may need to make this again with your inspiration.
Katharine in BXL said... (6/27/07 1:10 PM) Reply
Oh my, they're gorgeous!
nicegirl said... (6/27/07 12:43 PM) Reply
I love this pattern, too. I think you've just bumped it closer to the top of my list for making again. It looks great in black, and love your use of stripes.
Re Becca said... (6/27/07 10:21 AM) Reply
This is so cute. I tried this pattern, but didn't like it on me, you have the waist to carry it very well. Nice blouse.
latebloomer said... (6/27/07 9:48 AM) Reply
Both your tops are so pretty! I have this pattern but haven't decided on fabric yet. I might have to copy your sleeve changes, since the ones in the pattern seem a bit poufy for me, too.
cindy-lou said... (6/27/07 9:44 AM) Reply
Inspiring! I love both of these. I agree with you-- I prefer the pleated peplum to the gathered one. Love your bias binding. As for teh forward shoulder... I find myself sitting taller in my chair after reading NancyK's comments (ahem). This is one of Tim Gunn's soapbox topics in his book, too.
carolynw said... (6/27/07 9:42 AM) Reply
Beautiful blouses
Nancy K said... (6/27/07 7:23 AM) Reply
Very nice shirts! Maybe your fitting issue is a forward shoulder. This makes the sleeve tight. This is pretty common these days with everyone at computers so much. I really like your design changes, especially the peplum in the striped shirt.
Lunar_C said... (6/27/07 3:37 AM) Reply
I wouldn't have looked twice at the vogue version. But both your versions are stunning. One for day, one for night. I like your sleeves far better. Well done.
Leora said... (6/27/07 1:28 AM) Reply
One more thought before I drive you crazy LOL. Checkout on Giada's weekend getaway page. Her aqua outfit is basically this bodice with a cut-on cap sleeve but extended into a dress, don't you think? Just thought you would be interested ~:) You can see the full view of the dress in the slideshow.
Leora said... (6/27/07 1:17 AM) Reply
Love that black top! It reminds me of a favorite blouse I used to have. Thanks for your review! I must pull this pattern out and look it over while keeping your sleeve changes in mind :) I also have to add that I bought black and silver stripe fabric for this and chickened out... now that I think about it... I LOVE your black top... can you tell? hehe.

by: Jonni Ange...