Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 8386 (Misses' dress)

Reviewed by:Stacy Sews

About Stacy Sewsstarstarstarstar
Member since: 1/13/04

Best Patterns of 2007
Posted on:7/7/07 11:50 AM
Review Rating: Helpful by 8 people    Very Helpful by 8 people
greenandlilac said... (2/22/08 1:00 AM) Reply
You're too critical, it's really cute on you
Kiwi Girl said... (8/5/07 2:03 AM) Reply
Your dress looks awesome and I adore the colour. It looks just fabulous
jnamcd said... (7/9/07 5:19 PM) Reply
This dress looks great on you--and I think most of all --the color is awesome on you! Wear it with pride!
Annette1 said... (7/9/07 2:19 AM) Reply
You are BEAUTY-MOUS in this dress! I love the color, too.
Frozzy said... (7/8/07 7:27 PM) Reply
My first reaction when I saw the picture was "Wow, that looks great!" Then I read the review. Wear this dress, you look spectacular!
Leora said... (7/8/07 6:54 PM) Reply
I love the neckline on this dress! You look just gorgeous, Stacy!!
Skymom said... (7/8/07 6:16 PM) Reply
I totally have to get this pattern. You, Leslie, and Melissa all look great in it, and I have a very similar body type. I think missed the Joann's sale on Vogue this weekend, though. But thanks to you and the other ladies for your insights on suitable fabrics. I can at least be shopping (in my stash, to start with) for the right fabric.
MelissaB in WA said... (7/8/07 1:13 PM) Reply
Well that is so not "Motherhood Maternity" Stacy - you look fantastic! Wear your dress with pride girl, you're so instyle! :-)
OP Gal said... (7/8/07 10:33 AM) Reply
The dress is beautiful and you look lovely in it. Of course, I can't see the seams, but it otherwise looks like a very professionally sewn garment.
ribbit2jen said... (7/8/07 10:17 AM) Reply
It looks really pretty, I don't think it looks maternity, but I think you're right that it needs a knit on the thinner side to get the gathers to look the most flattering. Thanks for the review. I've been planning on making this one but wasnt' sure yet which fabric to pull out of my stash for it. This info will help a lot, thanks!!
Heatherrique said... (7/8/07 8:12 AM) Reply
Hotter than Heather Locklear!
MissCelie said... (7/8/07 7:28 AM) Reply
Nope. Not Motherhood Maternity. The color is amazing with your skin tone too. I think you look stellar.
LorelleD said... (7/8/07 1:49 AM) Reply
The dress looks lovely on you.
Mary Stiefer said... (7/8/07 1:24 AM) Reply
Everyone has said it for me - this is fantastic.
CynthiaSue said... (7/8/07 0:51 AM) Reply
Adorable. Luv this dress-I agree, I too will take mine in more next time.
Lori V said... (7/8/07 0:26 AM) Reply
Stacy, I think this dress looks fantastic on you.
Lori V said... (7/8/07 0:26 AM) Reply
Stacy, I think this dress looks fantastic on you.
EveS said... (7/8/07 0:24 AM) Reply
Omg, where you and Leslie racing?? Too funny! I think this looks great on you, and everyone's right...the color is super! Taking in the waist really did help mine..give that a shot. This style seems to require very careful fabric selection, doesn't it. I found that the slinky worked really well, too. I think its the combination of weight and actually helps the dress hug the body just a bit more. But really, I think this looks AWESOME on you!!!
Lou05 said... (7/8/07 0:13 AM) Reply
Stacy, This is a knockout on you! It looks like the flair was intended and should be fun to dance in. Nice job. Can't tell about the seams but have you tried steaming and hitting with a clapper to flatten them?
Jennifer shaw said... (7/7/07 11:53 PM) Reply
Your dress is beautiful on you, Stacy! The color is just stunning. Thanks for the review.
lmg said... (7/7/07 10:53 PM) Reply
It is a cute dress, and no, it is not maternity-like on you. This color suits you well.
Hilary said... (7/7/07 10:14 PM) Reply
You look gorgeous in this-definitely NOT maternity at all from here! ;o)
Sharon M said... (7/7/07 9:53 PM) Reply
It looks wonderful on you Stacy!
Sew4Fun said... (7/7/07 9:38 PM) Reply
Lovely dress.
Meredith P said... (7/7/07 1:58 PM) Reply
Sure doesn't look "maternity" from where I'm standing. Looks great.
Erica B. said... (7/7/07 1:29 PM) Reply
The dress is great, not maternity-ish at all... looks wonderful on you!
CarolynGM said... (7/7/07 1:28 PM) Reply
It looks adorable in the picture. I agree with those who suggest that it's not too late to take in the side seams -- go for it if it will help you like the dress better.
Birgitte said... (7/7/07 1:08 PM) Reply
It looks very good in the picture. If you like it enough, I'd agree with Leslie in Austin, and also use small SA, 1/4-3/8".
Soliel said... (7/7/07 12:59 PM) Reply
We live and learn don't we? Of course, it looks glamorous to us...but only we know if we like it. I guess we know now that this dress works the best with a thinner knit. Remember all your other wonderful successes.
Leslie in Austin said... (7/7/07 12:57 PM) Reply
That's funny: there must have been three of us sewing this same dress yesterday (we're waiting for your review, Melissa.....). I think the style is adorable on you, but yeah, I know exactly what you mean about it feeling a little maternity. It's not too late to take the sides and CB seam in even more to help minimize that. Your review further convinces me that this dress requires a really really thin knit to drape properly.
Debbie Cook said... (7/7/07 12:53 PM) Reply
This is Sexy Woman, not Motherhood Maternity!! It looks great on you.
Karla Kizer said... (7/7/07 12:50 PM) Reply
It's a beautiful dress in a wonderful color. (I don't think my Hancock's ever had anything that nice. No wonder they're gone.) If you're unhappy with the side seams, is it too late to take them in a little? I'd hate to see such a pretty dress go unworn. Good review.
Luckylibbet said... (7/7/07 12:39 PM) Reply
I think it's cute. But only you can tell how you feel wearing it.
Ann Smith said... (7/7/07 12:36 PM) Reply
The front view looks wonderful.
carolynw said... (7/7/07 12:11 PM) Reply
Stacy you too look adorable in this - not at all Maternity/Motherhood. This style is allthe rage now and people with nice figures like yours can go for it!!