Online Sewing Class: Altering Pants

Pattern Reviews> New Look> 6029 (coordinates)

Reviewed by:cindyann

About cindyannstarstar
FL United States
Member since: 8/5/02
Skill level:Beginner
Posted on:2/20/03 7:53 PM
Last Updated:4/25/03 5:12 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 4 people    Very Helpful by 4 people
See other patterns in this category: Coordinates    Coat/Jacket    Suits / Separates
spasibasong said... (9/22/11 4:12 PM) Reply
When I sewed these pants, the crotch came down very low - I'm guessing I needed to do the petite adjustment you describe.
cindyann said... (4/26/03 12:45 PM) Reply
What timely advice. I was just about to give this pattern another go. I'm going to try The Sewing Place for the Petersham since I need purple. Perhaps they'll have something in close in color. Thanks!
GorgeousFabrics said... (4/26/03 11:49 AM) Reply
The Sewing Place carries Petersham ribbon in all sorts of colors and widths. And hey, don't they have deals for FoPR's? :) -Ann
AnneM said... (4/26/03 11:42 AM) Reply
What a nice pattern, with a lot of nice pieces in it. The Sewing Place has rayon grosgrain ribbon; from what Skymom says maybe that would be better.
Skymom said... (4/25/03 5:54 PM) Reply
These look very nice. I've noticed New Look and other pattern cos. calling for that grosgrain waistline treatment, and I'm somewhat wary of it. It really doesn't work all that well, I think, unless you have natural-fiber grosgrain, or petersham ribbon. Those will stretch when pressed; the nylon or polyester version you buy these days won't stretch to shape, which is probably why you didn't find the application completely ideal. Sandra Betzina was selling petersham at Puyallup, but in a wide width...still, if you find that, you might have better luck. Or replace the ribbon with a folded bias strip, sew it along the waist edge and turn it in.
Pam Z said... (2/21/03 6:23 PM) Reply
Looks like they fit perfectly. Thanks for the alteration details. I'm 5' 1.5" I can wear shorts nearly all year here. I think this pattern would make nice capris too.
cindyann said... (2/21/03 10:14 AM) Reply
You know, I considered that most people are still freezing and probably don't give a hoot about shorts right now. But it's really time for me to think about summer clothing. I'd like nothing more than to be working on some sweaters or jackets. When you're trying to stay cool the design options are very limited. Thanks for the nice comments Rhonda!
Rhonda Noah said... (2/21/03 7:45 AM) Reply
Those look nice! They seem to fit you very well. But gee, it's hard to imagine needing to think seriously of sewing up shorts for me! Lucky you? ;-)

Burda 8860