Online Sewing Class: All About Linings

Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 3884 (Threads collection)

Reviewed by:Nikki

About Nikkistarstarstarstar
MD USA
Member since: 4/8/02
Posted on:7/27/07 9:35 PM
Last Updated:7/27/07 9:35 PM

See other patterns in this category: Dresses    Tops    Coat/Jacket    Pants
RuthieSews said... (4/17/09 11:39 AM) Reply
I love your jacket. In my opinion the jacket hem and the sleeves should not ever finish at the same point. This gives too strong a horizontal line across the body which visually chops a person in half AND makes them look broad at that point. So I think the lengths you have are spot on for you. The jacket is short enough to give a long legged look, and the sleeves are longer. I'm planning to make this up for myself, and love the idea of a light summer jacket.
Haze said... (6/12/08 4:37 PM) Reply
I agree about the bias binding to finish the seams. The serged edges on the seam allowance seem to be a better choice for a lightweight jacket. Great job!
JeanetteE said... (7/29/07 11:57 AM) Reply
I'm so glad that you reviewed this pattern, Nikki as I bought it myself awhile ago. Love the jacket on you, very cute & great color!
CarolynGM said... (7/28/07 1:14 PM) Reply
Really nice lines for an unlined, summer jacket. Your beefy pique is perfect for that style.
Nikki said... (7/28/07 12:53 PM) Reply
Thanks everyone! I especially appreciate the fit discussion :) I should note the following: the photo is taken at waist/hip level, which slightly skews the proportions and emphasizes the hips, not the best for me haha. This jacket is about the longest that I can get away with, and shorter jackets (high hip) are usually more flattering, as Marji says. I'm often marginal with the shoulder pads - if I add more than a super thin pad, it ends up being all 80s-football player, but even the thin pad does often help. I also have a strong preference for sleeves that are wrist length or longer (I refuse to wear those 3/4 length things), regardless of whether it is flattering or not, purely wearing preference.
carolynw said... (7/28/07 11:00 AM) Reply
Don't know how I missed this pattern - very nice looking top Nikki. Getting ready to start sewign for Fall (ugh) so must get this pattern
ryan's mom said... (7/28/07 7:03 AM) Reply
Great jacket! I love the material you used--very spring/summer.
Marji said... (7/28/07 3:39 AM) Reply
Nikki, I also have to say that is a good color on you. (one I love but can't wear without looking like I died yesterday) That fabric works really well in that jacket. Without turning the cuffs back, the sleeves are long enough, but I see why you would have needed to lengthen them, if you wanted to cuff them as the pattern shows. And I have to respectfully disagree with the previous commenter regarding the length of the jacket. You and are are built very much alike, square shoulders yet wider at bottom, and longer jackets, where the hem is the same length as sleeve cuff, creating a strong horizontal line at the full hip, is just not our friend. Nice lines on this jacket, love the neckline/collar shaping.
Diana Hilliard said... (7/28/07 1:13 AM) Reply
Very nice jacket Nikki, but I have noticed with many of your items, although they are beautifully constructed, that you aren't flattering yourself with the alterations that you make. Don't omit the shoulder pads, they go a long way to balancing out your hips. Make the body of the jacket as long as your sleeve, and please don't add anything to the sleeve (you often do) Some darker piping down the seams would also help change the bell shape that I often see to a longer, leaner, better balanced jacket. I will attempt to add a photoshopped (but clumsy, it's late!) picture with the alterations. Diana
Cathy Loves Fabric said... (7/28/07 1:10 AM) Reply
Beautiful jacket! It does have really nice lines and a casual sophisticated look. I love that shade of green on you Nikki. It really brings out your beautiful skin tones.
Annette1 said... (7/27/07 10:04 PM) Reply
This pattern must have somehow escaped my notice, even though I keep an eye out for the Threads patterns. Yours turned out great! I love that neckline, and as you say, it's nice to have an unlined jacket in the summer. Thanks for the great review!

by: Rosie who...