Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 4080 (Geisha Kimono)

Reviewed by:cammyland

About cammylandstar
Member since: 1/18/07
Posted on:8/23/07 10:06 PM
Last Updated:8/24/07 8:59 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 7 people
See other patterns in this category: Costumes
kyartslave said... (8/17/08 9:15 AM) Reply
Your picture links are not working for me but I managed to find your site with other work posted. Love your sewing! Thanks for the warning on the instructions! Think I'll wait for my skills to improve. ~ Smiles
rosesews said... (8/12/08 2:52 PM) Reply
i am thinking about buying this pattern, it will be on sale for $1. since the price is so low, i may still attempt it.
Costume Queen said... (5/12/08 5:29 PM) Reply
Sounds like a hard project, but definitely worth it! Your result is beautiful. I've been researching kimono design, and like you said, this is as close to authentic as you get!
Yosho said... (12/11/07 1:06 PM) Reply
I love this design, I've been working on this costume for a total of 9 hours. I'll just confirm that these instructions are the worst I've ever seen; yet beautiful rusult. Yes all that time is trial an error (mostly error). Now I can probably do what I've done so far in about 2-3 hours. I'm currently stuck on figuring out the complicated instructions on the neck peice. onlyinjapan, can you help? I'm new to this site and I can't find the way to mail you directly.
Cristina_TC said... (10/4/07 8:27 PM) Reply
Lovely, what a pity for pictures ;( It' s wonderfull :)
venetus said... (8/30/07 3:10 PM) Reply
I love vintage kimonos, so I love yours!
CSM--Carla said... (8/25/07 11:15 PM) Reply
Loved your funny review! Lovely garment! Thank you for the education about kimonos.
colormefun said... (8/25/07 1:16 AM) Reply
haha, i guess you'd better get started on your cousin's kimono!
Nancywin said... (8/24/07 10:10 PM) Reply
very informative review. Now that you know all the quirks of the pattern you can make it in something really lovely.
poplin said... (8/24/07 8:59 PM) Reply
funny, funny review! I keep pattern instructions a safe distance from me.
Elle D said... (8/24/07 7:49 PM) Reply
Wow, this is so elegant. I am actually motivated to make one of these, in the type of fabric that you used.
Markie1 said... (8/24/07 5:48 PM) Reply
I can not wait to see the kimono make again out of the fabric you choose. You wrestled this one to the ground and you WON! I think it is very prettiy in your cheap fabric, i hope you will wear it around the house. Thanks for the neat review.
Laurie Lou said... (8/24/07 3:06 PM) Reply
I am so glad that you will make anotherone. You seem to knw so much about them and all the names of the parts. I look forward to your next post of this pattern. Persevere!
cammyland said... (8/24/07 1:31 PM) Reply
Yay! I'm really excited to make the kimono out of good fabric now form all the positives comments! Happy Cammy! Wovenwaters, I'm acutally located in California, tho I've always wanted to go to Japan! Since my cousin is yelling at me to hurry up and make her kimono, so the next one might not be 100% authentic, but she doesn't care. =]
busy91 said... (8/24/07 9:45 AM) Reply
O K got to see the photos. Still looks great!
colormefun said... (8/24/07 9:02 AM) Reply
the pics work now! looks nice! i look forward to seeing the one made up of nice fabric! are u located in japan? if you're concerned about the authenticity maybe they have kimono patterns there... ask a cute o-bachan for one?
busy91 said... (8/24/07 8:31 AM) Reply
Isn't it always the frustrating patterns that turn out the best? Your links don't work. I got to see the small thumbnail in the gallery. I'd like to see it bigger.
Lunar_C said... (8/24/07 1:57 AM) Reply
Your review made me laugh, I feel your pain. Luckily you ended up with something worth the struggle. Couldn't see your pictures though : (

You Sew Girl Laptop Bag Pattern