Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 8402 (8402)

Reviewed by:Ann Smith

About Ann Smithstarstarstarstar
Posted on:9/3/07 0:47 AM
Last Updated:9/3/07 0:49 AM
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 18 people
See other patterns in this category: Tops    Pants

Ellen E B said... (6/7/11 5:23 PM) Reply
I just made this top using a cotton broadcloth in a size 8 (bust) to 10 (hips). I am small-busted and it worked fine. Its not a curvy style but that's fine. I did remove 4 inches off the entire FRONT hem from end to end at the angled hem on both sides because the front portion was so much longer than the back; it was a visual disconnect, looking at it from the side; the front was too long, compared to the back. Also, I'm 5'4", so the length in the front was too much. By doing so, the short side of the angled hem no longer met the hem on the backside. So, to get that better proportion I was seeking, I left the back length as it was and stitched the side seam just to the length of the angled front, creating a nice slit at the bottom of the side seams. I am happy with the result.
annelouise said... (12/31/10 7:30 PM) Reply
I just bought this pattern & some recommended fabric, thank you if I still decide to make it I will use something drapey. Also I will make it sleeveless.
sewfrequent said... (2/25/08 10:21 AM) Reply
i just created a wadder with this pattern and decided after-the-fact to see if it was the pattern or ME and i'm glad to see it is NOT me! the "cross-over" portion rides right along the largest portion of the bust which I learned is not at all flattering. in my case i DID use great fabric and wound up taking the long tails off but still--no good.
mewiththree said... (9/5/07 12:36 PM) Reply
Now this is exactly the reason I visit this site! Thank You for saving other sewers lots of frustration. There is nothing more disappointing than working hard on a pattern only to find it has inherent flaws!
Harriet Rogers said... (9/4/07 12:39 PM) Reply
I hate to say this, Ann, but it's almost encouraging to know that you, too, encounter "wadders". I'm working on something now that I really don't think is ever going to pass the " wear outside the house " test, and believe it or not, while wrestling with what I think is going to turn out to be a disaster, I wondered whether Ann Smith ever had any less than desireable outcomes to her projects. Thanks for review. It came at a very opportune moment for me!
Sadlesor said... (9/3/07 3:56 PM) Reply
Like the look on the pattern and would never have guessed that the suggested fabric would be what it listed. I agree that something that is as drapey as this needs drapey fabrice. Sorry it did not work out. You mentioned an online store. Mind doing a review of what went wrong? I do a lot of online fabric shopping and have been successful so far but there is going to be a time I'm not; I'm sure.
cecelia said... (9/3/07 1:30 PM) Reply
Sorry this didn't work out for you--I guess we all have our share of "wadders." Luckily, this wasn't pricey fabric.
DorothyK said... (9/3/07 1:11 PM) Reply
I agree that this pattern isn't worthy of your shapely figure and beautiful face. Lucky you didn't use good fabric.
cathy45 said... (9/3/07 11:51 AM) Reply
I'm so sorry it didn't work for you but thanks for sharing so others (curvy gals) won't waste timeand effort. I agree after seeing it, it's obviously meant for more willowy figures.
mary in FL said... (9/3/07 11:14 AM) Reply
I'm sorry it didn't work out for you. It appears that it's not designed to fit feminine curves. Drat!
Enid E said... (9/3/07 9:28 AM) Reply
Ann, this pattern was a wadder for me too.. I came to the same conclusions you have.
carolynw said... (9/3/07 9:13 AM) Reply
Too bad it didn't work out for you! Guess soemthings ar enot meant to be in our sewing world. Don't think I will try this one even though I am small busted - if you couldn't make it work well--
Karine said... (9/3/07 9:13 AM) Reply
I had the same experience with this pattern as you've described, only mine didn't make it as far before it officially became a wadder. I would not ever need a FBA but it still wasn't a flattering look.
lmg said... (9/3/07 9:11 AM) Reply
I had thought about making this pattern. Thanks for the review...I will pass on this one.
Nancy K said... (9/3/07 7:20 AM) Reply
Thanks for the review. You are such a good sewer, I know that the pattern is at fault here and not the sewer. Good to know about clunkers.
CarolynGM said... (9/3/07 4:46 AM) Reply
It's a very cute pattern, but I can see why the underbust seaming wouldn't work for someone with a bust. You are brave for trying though.
motomoda said... (9/3/07 2:24 AM) Reply
Thanks for the review - what a pity it does not work as the pattern looks so nice! Would it work in a lighter weight knit?
hongkongshopper said... (9/3/07 1:36 AM) Reply
What a shame. But better now than after good fabric is cut.

by: atymonw