Pattern Reviews> Kwik Sew> 2000 (Men's Shirts)

Reviewed by:Tessa

See other patterns in this category: Mens - Shirts

Boho Banjo art to wear

pdf sewing patterns

KathleenS said... (3/9/03 6:31 AM) Reply
Yes, that's exactly what I did in the last shirt I made (including adjusting the pleats) and it worked nicely and looks great. I also did a survey of my RTW shirts at the time and was surprised to find how many didn't have plackets whereas my fianc's shirts all had plackets - either proper or the one-sided sort - an interesting difference between men's RTW and women's (although I'll certainly be looking before I buy another shirt).
Tessa said... (3/7/03 3:44 PM) Reply
I agree Kathleen, but you can always change the hemmed slit to a placket if you like the rest of the pattern. I worried about changing the length of the sleeve edge by doing that, and having the cuff not fit, but the advice in Shirtmaking (by D. P. Coffin) is to wait till you're ready to sew the cuff on, then adjust the pleats or gathers to fit.
KathleenS said... (3/7/03 2:47 PM) Reply
Thanks Tessa, that makes sense, although I infinitely prefer that sort to the kind that don't have a placket at all and just have both edges hemmed.
Tessa said... (3/7/03 12:00 PM) Reply
Kathleen: The sleeve placket only has the overlap piece, for the underlap side the pattern instructions say to just make a very narrow hem. I prefer a "real" placket on both sides, and I found the placket folded oddly.
pamela thickens said... (3/6/03 11:04 PM) Reply
I've looked @ this pattern b-4, but haven't bought it. Thanks for the review. Especially appreciated comparison to other Kwik-Sew pattern. Thanks for a good review!
KathleenS said... (3/6/03 7:36 PM) Reply
Can you tell me what it is you don't like about the sleeve placket? I don't have the pattern - I was just wondering.
Tessa said... (3/6/03 7:05 PM) Reply
Kwik Sew M is closest to 15 1/2 neck, or size 40 chest. But note that this collar is longer, as it's designed to fit over a turtleneck etc. DH never buttons his collar anyway. Other KS men's shirt patterns have shorter collars.
Pam Z said... (3/6/03 5:47 PM) Reply
Thanks for the review. What neck size would you say size M is in RTW?

Sis Boom Meghan Peasant Dress