Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 4092 (Elizabeth's)

Reviewed by:Kellie R.

About Kellie R.starstar
Member since: 7/4/07
Posted on:9/9/07 9:35 PM
Last Updated:9/9/07 9:57 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 14 people
See other patterns in this category: Costumes
AidenDelanko said... (10/12/09 0:30 AM) Reply
First off, beautiful gown! :) The fabric choice is lovely and, yes, quite dramatic! Second, I made this dress a few months ago and noticed problems with the sleeves and the neck band. The top of the bodice piece was far too tight, the neckline was too baggy, and the sleeves looked about 6 sizes too big, despite being the "right" size. Did you have any problems with this? Btw, The lace looks lovely. :)
TishE said... (4/29/08 4:03 PM) Reply
Kellie, you didn't say what kind of boning you used for this project. If it was Ridgeline, I read in Kenneth King's Threads article from 1993 that you can burn the ends of it with a lighter, similar to what you can do with certain types of rope and cord. I tried that on my daughter's corsets and found if I used a Bar-B-Q lighter, and just passed it lightly over the ends of the boning to heat it up, then pressed it down with my fingertips it slightly melts and dulls the edges really well. You have to be careful not to over melt it, or hold it for too long or it burns the fingers a bit. Much easier than buying those bulky bone ends.
Kellie R. said... (12/14/07 11:24 AM) Reply
Sara, I'm so glad that you like my stuff! I have lots of fun! I still consider myself an advanced beginner as I have lots of gaps. Once I can get a few more skills under my belt such as welt pockets, invisible zippers, alterations and better hand stitching, then I'll feel worthy of a promotion!!!
Sara The Slayer said... (12/14/07 6:30 AM) Reply
Gorgeous, but way past my skills.
Heatherrique said... (9/27/07 1:12 AM) Reply
How could I missed this gown! Wow! I can picture Michelle Pfeiffer/Glenn Close from Dangerous Liaisons wearing this gown! Your work is commendable!
DorothyK said... (9/11/07 11:10 PM) Reply
Amazing!
Kellie R. said... (9/10/07 5:02 PM) Reply
Oh, 2B - These gowns were made before I had my WONDERFUL 850! I'll write a review on that after I use some of the fancy stitches. ;)
Mary Stiefer said... (9/10/07 2:01 PM) Reply
Wow - beautiful - you have a lot more patience than I do. Great job.
Kellie R. said... (9/10/07 1:26 PM) Reply
Thanks so much for your comments! I guess I still consider myself Advanced Beginner because I have so much to learn in the way of finishing and other basics. I can construct garments OK, but some of the basics have been the last things I've learned and am still learning. I think once I have zippers mastered, I'll feel I qualify as more of an intermediate!
Grammy Gin said... (9/10/07 11:28 AM) Reply
I agree that you need a promotion also! Your work is stunning! Your reviews are always so interesting.
Markie1 said... (9/10/07 10:28 AM) Reply
This is just gorgeous. Thanks for the heads up on the grosgrain placement and the boning channels. I never thought of making this pattern, now I am looking for a reason...maybe my dd will want to be Queen Elizabeth for Halloween!
moss said... (9/10/07 9:01 AM) Reply
Beatiful! Wish I could see a picture of it under blacklight!!
2BSewing said... (9/10/07 8:07 AM) Reply
Another Wow! I love the jacquard fabric...the gown is beautiful. A wondeful job! BTW...are you using your new 850 to sew these beautiful gowns? :)
PVA said... (9/10/07 0:51 AM) Reply
Thanks for a great review, & yours is a very elegant rendition of this gown! An apparition at the top of the stairs on Halloween sounds perfect! I certainly endorse Annette's suggestion that you upgrade your skills -- these two costumes are certainly above the usual stage quality! Beautiful results!
Annette1 said... (9/9/07 11:19 PM) Reply
This is absolutely beautiful! I love your fabric, first of all: It's perfect! And secondly, you put so much time and effort into this, and it really shows. GIVE YOURSELF A PROMOTION! You're past "advanced beginner" stage, I'd say. :o)

Marfy 3171