Online Sewing Class: Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 4923 (Men's Pirate Costume)

Reviewed by:squirrellypoo

About squirrellypoostarstarstarstar
United Kingdom
Member since: 3/27/05
Posted on:9/19/07 6:52 AM
Last Updated:9/19/07 6:52 AM

See other patterns in this category: Costumes

Sweater knit fabrics

normanack said... (10/26/08 5:08 PM) Reply
The list of alterations is very helpful, as is the discussion of making a costume pattern into a couture pattern. Thank you for reviewing this pattern -- and I wish I could sew as well as you!
KiwiWendy said... (9/16/08 0:20 AM) Reply
Luscious ... though I understand not wanting to make it again. Ever!
janet said... (9/20/07 4:41 PM) Reply
Absolutely Fabulous! You look great too!
Karen6790 said... (9/19/07 11:28 PM) Reply
Amazing doesn't even cover what you've done here. I've rashly promised to make a "Jimi Hendrix-type jacket" for my DBF, and I foresee similar adventures. I hope I can write such an informative and lighthearted review when I'm done. Absolutely beautiful.
CynthiaSue said... (9/19/07 10:47 PM) Reply
yes, epic. so beautiful. I was wondering if it was real velvet in the picture and it is! Amazing!
Melody said... (9/19/07 2:08 PM) Reply
That jacket is amazing. He's very lucky and did you know, today is "Talk Like a Pirate Day" Yar Matey!
moss said... (9/19/07 1:25 PM) Reply
HOLY COW i hope he takes you out to dinner and rubs your feet every night for a year! You deserve a gold medal for this!
Kellie R. said... (9/19/07 1:15 PM) Reply
Oh How FUN!!!!!!! That jacket is beautiful (so is your waist cincher). I lived in England for 8 years and truly appreciate what a great price you got for your silk velvet - despite your challenges, the final jacket looks fantastic. Your party looks like it was FAB! Great job!
bunz said... (9/19/07 12:26 PM) Reply
Wow! Kudos for finishing -- that really takes grit:-) Did you couch all that gold braid? I'm interested in what technique you used for that.
Annette1 said... (9/19/07 12:25 PM) Reply
Very nice, indeed. I agree -- that's no costume! :o) Beautiful fabrics and workmanship. (I'd have to agree with you on the velvet thing though. :o)
Seamingly Simple said... (9/19/07 11:32 AM) Reply
Ahoy, sewing wench! Yer cap'n be a lucky sailor, indeed. Nice job! You deserve a big vessel of grog.
crisford said... (9/19/07 11:16 AM) Reply
Wow! You both look awesome! He owes you big-time, too. Congratulations on completing this.
Vonnevo said... (9/19/07 10:02 AM) Reply
Congratulations !!! Lucky boyfriend, fabulous coat ! I finally tracked down enough old buttons for my hubby's version of this coat.
Lisa Laree said... (9/19/07 9:58 AM) Reply
Wow. That is no costume. That is an EPIC! It's beautiful, and congratulations on its completion!
mastdenman said... (9/19/07 9:23 AM) Reply
Your boyfriend is spoiled. The costume looks great.
squirrellypoo said... (9/19/07 8:40 AM) Reply
thanks, Bernie. Press boards in the Uk are very expensive and difficult to find, and I'd only be using it for this project since I'm never sewing velvet again! And if you follow the first link to fehrtrade.com you can see photos of both of us in costume!
dbsewer said... (9/19/07 8:23 AM) Reply
I think your bfriend is very lucky to have you sewing for him. I hope he was duly appreciative. Despite all the headaches this came out beautifully and you have reason to be proud. Velvet has a mind of its own, but it's luscious and I think worth the hassels. As noted on your blog, you can buy a velvet board and press velvet face down to save the pile. I would just steam with a press cloth and then press by hand. Would love to see the pictures of you both in costume. I'll bet you were adorable.

Burda 9645