Online Sewing Class: Put it on the Bias
In this video, you learn how to:
  • Use some of the basic tools
  • Choose fabric
  • Use patterns
  • Measure yourself for patterns
  • Trace and cut out the pattern
  • Lay out and cut out the pattern from fabric
  • Stitch together and press your skirt
You'll also learn about sewing machine features and pattern language and symbols.

Let Deepika demystify the process of sewing for you! Take this class!

Complete List of Videos

1. Introduction and Tools
  2. Fabric Types
  3. What the Information on the Pattern Envelope Means
  4. Types of Patterns and What the Markings Mean
  5. Taking Body Measurements
  6. Tracing the Patterns and Understanding Markings
  7. Preparing the Fabric, Laying Out the Pattern Pieces, and Cutting Out the Fabric
  8. Getting to Know your Sewing Machine
  9. Sewing the Skirt
">Sewing Basics Online Sewing Class

Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 9447 (Raggedy Ann and Andy Dolls)

Reviewed by:TammyD

About TammyDstar
GA USA
Member since: 4/4/07
Posted on:9/20/07 10:55 AM
Last Updated:9/20/07 10:24 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 3 people
See other patterns in this category: Crafts

Sarucha said... (1/28/10 4:45 PM) Reply
We should complain to Simplicity that the method they describe in the pattern simply DOES NOT WORK IN REAL LIFE!!! Well, I got in touch with Simplicity, and let them know that their method doesn't work. They got back to me, and apologized for the problems that we have had, and that they would look into doing some videos of how to make the hair properly.
Dinkalley said... (12/23/08 2:04 PM) Reply
I've made at least 50 of these dolls. First, use a "scalp" fabric that is the same color as the hair, it won't show through. Cut 5-7" strips of yarn by wrapping yarn around a book. Take 5-10 strands and lay in front of the presser foot. Zig zag right over them in the center of the yarn strip, starting at the back neck line. Continue laying down strips and sewing around the scalp like a snail until you hit the crown. As you sew, each yarn strip becomes 2 hairs as it doubles over. (I should post pictures) I make the dolls as gifts, with themes for the child. Like tennis, or music, or in the colors of her room. I also line the pinafore and the dress. I use rickrack or lace at the neckline, and embellish the pinafore with novelty buttons or trims to carry out the theme. I also embroider a heart on the chest, and the little girl or boy's name and the year on the chest as a keepsake. Very popular gift.
Lovekamp said... (9/23/08 6:30 PM) Reply
mdhomemaker, I would like to know how you rooted the hair for the raggedy ann doll. Thanks.
pattiG said... (12/14/07 1:34 PM) Reply
Thank you, naviaa, for the information. I will look there.
naviaa said... (11/10/07 5:48 PM) Reply
you can find the embroidery faces in ann the gran website under face and masks.
pattiG said... (11/3/07 2:54 PM) Reply
mdhomemaker, could you tell me how you rooted the hair? I'm in the process of sewing 2 dolls for my grand-daughters. Also, can anyone direct me to a downloadable machine embroidered doll face for a Pfaff (pcs) format? Thank you for your help.
Elemenopeo said... (9/22/07 10:57 PM) Reply
I've done it on the machine - have to sew very slowly - but I find I get better results by hand too, which you already have been told how to do. It makes more sense as you sit to do it. Cute doll!
PattiK said... (9/21/07 8:55 PM) Reply
OMG!! This brings back childhood memories. I love your doll. I may have to run out and get the pattern (on sale of course) to make one for me! Thanks for the review.
Stilltheone said... (9/21/07 9:34 AM) Reply
I love it! You did a wonderful job!
SimsSews said... (9/21/07 9:04 AM) Reply
Sooo cute!
gatorgirl4325 said... (9/21/07 9:02 AM) Reply
So cute!
HeyJane said... (9/20/07 10:49 PM) Reply
I'm not sure how you were attaching the hair, but when I did a Miss Piggy I too stitched the yarn in by hand. One stitch left long, then the next stitch to anchor it, etc. etc. It held up for many, many years. I just left most of them long, and then gave it a haircut to shape it after I was all done. Your doll is adorable !
TammyD said... (9/20/07 4:13 PM) Reply
gema--if you could e-mail that to me ethat would be wonderful!!
gema said... (9/20/07 12:32 PM) Reply
When I made a Raggedy Ann, I hand sewed the hair. It was a more modern style doll but based on a picture of the original Raggedy Ann doll, I think it's pretty good. I believe the original only really had hair on the top and sides with none on the back at all. This is how I did the hair: Lay the yarn flat across the back of the head and hand sew a part right down the middle. Then sew another seam down each side. The hair will lay flat except where it frames the face. I cut the "here and there" around the face. Also, when I sewed, I made sure to sew right through the pieces of yarn. I can email you a picture of what this will look like (based on how I did it on another pattern). Again, this doesn't give you the look of the hair sticking up everywhere but it was much easier and really does look cute.
mdhomemaker said... (9/20/07 11:10 AM) Reply
Hello, I made two of these by hand several years ago, but I rooted the hair by hand. I used an older pattern though. It took forever, but I ended up with professional results. (I also didnt work, I am a SAHM). Good luck!

Victoria Jones Collection Happi Coat & Hanten (230)

Victoria Jones Collection Happi Coat & Hanten (230)

Ultrasuede Jacket DVD