Pattern Reviews> McCall's> 5435 (Tunic and Dresses)

Reviewed by:Kade

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 4 people

Home Sewing Depot

Home Dec Sewing Supplies

jennikatten said... (6/28/09 9:06 PM) Reply
I just made a shirt where the neckline was similar. Believe me, I'm the only one who has noticed, even my husband who's an experienced sewer... and mine's worse. If you hadn't said anything I wouldn't have noticed. I think we're harder on ourselves when we made it.
juliav2000 said... (1/17/08 0:30 AM) Reply
I tried to make this dress too --- the matching of the front pieces was impossible to do nicely. I've pitched the mess!
Annette H said... (10/4/07 7:00 AM) Reply
A great dress, looks much better than on the patern envelope.
Nancywin said... (9/29/07 1:39 PM) Reply
I think this looks like a great summer dress - love the color. Believe me, nobody will notice anything "wonky" about the neckline. It looks fine.
Larkin said... (9/27/07 10:02 PM) Reply
Your dress is very cute - could a little lace cami help with the plunge? It might dress it up a bit, too, perhaps not enough for a wedding, but certainly enough to go out. Thanks for a great review.
Kade said... (9/26/07 10:46 AM) Reply
Thanks, everyone. Jeanette, I thought about that! I've been considering making a little fabric flower or something -- just to cover that extra inch or inch and a half.
JeanetteE said... (9/26/07 9:58 AM) Reply
Cute dress. I love the fabric. Couldn't you put a brooch or button at the neckline?
carolynw said... (9/26/07 8:05 AM) Reply
I like this dress - good save on the back neck gaposis. Thanks for such a helpful review and hope you get a lot of wear out of this dress.
zora said... (9/26/07 8:03 AM) Reply
What a cute fabric! And honestly, if you hadn't told me about the wonky neckline, it wouldn't have caught my eye.
Sic said... (9/26/07 7:49 AM) Reply
I agree with Em's Summer - the picture of the dress looks nice. I also really like the short sleeve adjustment - it really fits the style of the dress. And your fabric is really pretty! I use "wonky" too - it's something I think I picked up from a Joss Whedon television show.
Kade said... (9/26/07 0:41 AM) Reply
Rhonda, "wonky" means... "just kind of off, somehow". ;-) Em, I should probably have a seam ripper grafted onto my hand. There's a facing inside the bodice that makes it a bit of a chore to modify. I guess if I'd wanted it badly enough, I could have... good note for anyone considering this pattern.
Rhonda in Montreal said... (9/26/07 0:38 AM) Reply
Hi Kade! What does "wonky" mean??
Em's Summer said... (9/26/07 0:32 AM) Reply
From afar, it looks great. Granted, the bodice didn't line up perfectly, but you can always fix that if you want to. The seam ripper is a very popular and well used tool around PR. :-) I use mine often. And if the dress is too low, you can always wear a cami underneath. It would look great with a cami. Very informative review.

Thread Theory Designs Finlayson Sweater