Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 1290 (Dress and chiffon pants)

Reviewed by:Nikki

About Nikkistarstarstarstar
MD USA
Member since: 4/8/02
Posted on:3/9/03 2:55 AM
See other patterns in this category: Dresses    Tops    Coat/Jacket    Suits / Separates    Pants
Elizabeth McAlister said... (9/12/11 12:23 PM) Reply
Darn, the picture link is broken. I really enjoyed the review. Have the pattern and would like to make it. Please can the link be fixed so I can see what your beautiful sounding dress looks like.
Carina said... (7/11/04 6:11 AM) Reply
Nikki, I'm halfway through this project myself. It's really encouraging to read your review! Thanks!
Carina said... (7/11/04 6:10 AM) Reply
Dede said... (5/30/04 9:15 PM) Reply
Thanks for the great interpretation of this pattern! I have had it since c. 1993, never tried it, liked the lines but didn't like the Victorian-Goth rendering on the pattern envelope. Kinda put it away and forgot about it until reading your review. I am truly inspired now!
Raven said... (10/17/03 0:48 AM) Reply
very beautiful indeed. you are so talented and detailed oriented. Very wonderful review as well. Thank You
Cattgirl said... (3/10/03 3:21 PM) Reply
The outfit looks great and your review was quite entertaining. I also think your cat and my cats are related. The journal format is an approach I think I'll start to use with my projects because I have a tendency to forget steps along the way and have to back track. This will help act as a reminder. Thanks for using the idea!
Mel.J said... (3/10/03 7:00 AM) Reply
... I mean the dress, but I'm sure you got that!
Mel.J said... (3/10/03 6:57 AM) Reply
Nikki. I love the choice you made with the scarf at the neck - SO elegant! The cut of the coat is really flattering.
Skymom said... (3/9/03 10:59 PM) Reply
Nikki, I've always loved that pattern, and you've done a great job with it. I agree--the flounces on the pattern envelope look cool, but do you really want them dragging through the chicken-or-fish dinner?! So are you an art history grad student? I have to ask because of your ref. to Rogier van der Weyden--I'm a reformed art historian myself, and have always thought Flemish portraiture was a great source of inspiration. Gotta love the headdresses, too!
Everyday Sewist said... (3/9/03 10:23 PM) Reply
Thanks Nikki. I usually take my fabric to a pricey coin-op laundry. But once the clothes are made, I wash in my compact washing machine and hang to dry. If I can prewash the yardage by hand at home, I won't have to plan a special trip to the laundromat. Thanks!
Nikki said... (3/9/03 5:14 PM) Reply
Thanks for the compliments! Betty, we have pricey coin-op laundry, so I hand-wash most of my yardage, unless I have something that I specifically want to shrink. Even when I wash garments, I just use the washer and then line-dry everything. I also never put silk or delicate garments in the washer. IIRC, most shrinkage occurs in the dryer, so I almost never have shinkage problems anyway! If you have a larger dryer and usually put laundry thru the dryer, maybe you could handwash yardage, let it drip out for a bit, and then put it in the dryer when it is still moist but not sopping? If I want to shrink something, but think it will bleed badly, that is what I usually dor.
Tini said... (3/9/03 5:14 PM) Reply
Love your Review!!
CatherineN said... (3/9/03 4:28 PM) Reply
What a successful project you made. I enjoyed the art URL too.
Deepika said... (3/9/03 2:21 PM) Reply
Nikki, love that dress! and the purse too. Your review is also fun to read.
Everyday Sewist said... (3/9/03 2:17 PM) Reply
That is a nice evening outfit. I have a question about pre-washing. My washer is too small to handle fabric yardage, so I read with interest that you hand-washed yours. Do you later wash the finished garments in a machine, and if so, do you have any problems with shrinkage? And how does this work with natural fibers?
Georgene said... (3/9/03 2:10 PM) Reply
Nikki, you journal style review is great. Such an eye-opener into the series of little decisions we all make in the course of completing a project. Lovely results, and I predict quite a few other versions of this for you now that you know how to put it together.
susan s said... (3/9/03 10:18 AM) Reply
You look wonderful. I like the journal style review. PS-- the purse was the perfect touch!
Kitty said... (3/9/03 4:56 AM) Reply
Wow !! I really love your review !! And you look BEAUTIFUL !!

Vintage Pattern Lending Library 8354