Pattern Reviews> Islander Sewing Systems> Waterfall (Waterfall)

Reviewed by:Debbie Lancaster

Last Updated:7/27/03 2:32 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 12 people

Sweater knit fabrics

Debbie Lancaster said... (7/30/03 10:35 PM) Reply
Gosh, what was I thinking? Must have been some other pattern that has shaped shoulders, because the Waterfall sure doesn't! The shoulder to sleeve line is almost perfectly straight. Good thing I decided to look at the pattern. Sorry about the misinformation.
Debbie Lancaster said... (7/30/03 1:35 AM) Reply
J. Claire Meeks, I made a M, 12-14-16. I wear a S-M in RTW. I could even have made a S, since the pattern is very forgiving. In fact, a small might fit me better in the shoulders. I think it would be a good idea to pin fit it to your shoulder width--everything else fits very loosely, so that would be the one place the pattern is shaped to fit.
oldsewandsew said... (7/29/03 8:47 PM) Reply
What size did you use? Is it true to size, or does it run big or small. Beautiful top - looks good on you also!
Debbie Lancaster said... (7/28/03 10:25 PM) Reply
Roberta, yes I starch slippery fabric to make it behave. I use liquid starch diluted by half, dry the fabric, then iron it. It behaves much like paper, then, and is easier for me to deal with. Other people have other strategies, and the traditional way of dealing with slippery fabric is to lay it on a piece of paper, and cut the paper and fabric together as a single piece. It doesn't slide around much that way. I like starching because it also makes the fabric easier for me to handle when I'm pinning and sewing.
Roberta Johnson said... (7/28/03 9:39 PM) Reply
Debbie, I just got her Road Runner Jacket Pattern and the "tux" pattern but not made them up yet. I was wondering why you starched the fabric before cutting it out? I do this on cotton -- especially if quilting, trapunto, etc., but had not thought of doing it to anything different. Does this help when cutting out "slippery fabric"? Thanks for any input you can give! Roberta
cindyann said... (7/27/03 7:07 PM) Reply
Very pretty. Your fabric layout is great. The designs are just right! Very graceful and comfortable looking.
texellence said... (7/26/03 3:20 AM) Reply
I have this pattern, but have not made it yet...after seeing yours, I think I will make it sooner rather than later....it is stunning in the pictures you posted! Thanks for sharing all the info.....it looks gorgeous!
AnneM said... (7/25/03 11:42 PM) Reply
That is a graceful cut. And the fabric is cheerful and goes well w/ the skirt (no,you don't look like a sofa). I would think this pattern would work for inverted triangle; I'm pear-ish so I will just have to see how other people do with it!

Contest Travel Wardrobe Contest