Pattern Reviews> McCall's> 5467 (Misses Jumpers)

Reviewed by:SillyValley

About SillyValleystar
Member since: 10/2/05
Posted on:10/13/07 5:48 AM
Last Updated:10/13/07 6:59 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 6 people
narcissaqtpie said... (10/21/07 1:00 PM) Reply
This is pretty, I'm gonna get this pattern today!
Annette1 said... (10/16/07 7:50 PM) Reply
What a cute jumper! And it's not too young for you because YOU'RE young. :o) As for the pleats, I think it means this (famous last words): Stitch your pleat. Then to visualize what I mean, take your just stitched pleat and lay the garment face down on a flat surface, so what you're seeing is the pleat (wrong) side. Take the pleat between your thumb and forefinger and hold it up straight, and kind of fingerpress the center of the pleat. Now if you can see where your finger press was (which you probably can't on this fabric), that is the center of your pleat, so you want to line that center point up to the line of stitching that you just made to form the pleat in the first place. Pin it so it stays centered. Then if you flip your fabric back over, you can stitch in the ditch over your initial stitching, so what you end up with on the back side is your pleat with a vertical line of stitching going right down the middle of the flattened pleat. I probably just added to the confusion -- ha! -- but it sounds like that's what it's talking about. Whereas you may be thinking of pleats that are folded either to the right or the left and then stitched with a horizontal line of stitching to hold them in place, this one is actually centered across your initial vertical line of stitching and then stitched in the ditch on that same line, instead of being pressed to the left or right. Sorry ... didn't mean to write a book. I love your jumper!
CynthiaSue said... (10/14/07 1:29 AM) Reply
adorable. much better than the pattern looks. i have been eyeing this taffeta forever and now will get it!
SillyValley said... (10/13/07 3:16 PM) Reply
Thanks Kaitlinnegan that totally makes sense. I always wondered about that. This isn't the only pattern that uses that specific language for pleats. I think that means I should restitch the pleats because right now they are folded flat to the side. If I restitch with the pleats pressed flat to the stitching I think it will look nicer. If that makes any sense LOL.
Littlehuntingcreek said... (10/13/07 2:17 PM) Reply
My daughter the fashionista saw this and now she wants one. She says it won't feel so short if you wear it with dark tights. This is really cute!
Kaitlinnegan said... (10/13/07 10:25 AM) Reply
Oo! This pattern is on my to-do pile - I had originally wanted to do this view, but was unsure..now I *have* to do it! Yours looks great! Thanks for the info on the length -- I will definitely check that before I make it. The part about centering the pleat kind of makes sense to me -- they want you to kind of open up the pleat (not fold it) so the center line of the pleated fabric is directly over the stitching of the pleat. I don't know if that makes any more sense. :)
Hilary said... (10/13/07 9:47 AM) Reply
Pretty! Thanks for the tip on the invisible zipper-I will try that next time, I always get the stitching a touch too close also. Great job on your dress!

StyleArc Elita