Pattern Reviews> Loes Hinse Designs> 5106 (Bolero Jacket)

Reviewed by:jlg

About jlgstarstarstarstar
Member since: 3/5/03
Posted on:3/16/03 6:54 PM
Last Updated:5/25/03 8:21 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 2 people
See other patterns in this category: Coat/Jacket
Everyday Sewist said... (5/27/03 9:44 AM) Reply
Another beautiful jacket! I'm glad to know there is an internet source for mudcloth too!
jlg said... (5/27/03 8:40 AM) Reply
Thanks Anne. Gardening is my other obsession.
AnneM said... (5/26/03 11:01 PM) Reply
P.S. If that is your back yard, I want you to come & do my landscaping.
AnneM said... (5/26/03 10:58 PM) Reply
That is great. I love the very different looks that this one pattern gives. Nice fabric choices.
Lisette said... (5/26/03 11:29 AM) Reply
Love your jacket, what a wonderful fabric! I have been browsing through the sites listed in Threads but have not made a purchase yet. I'm going to read your website review
Pam Z said... (5/26/03 3:53 AM) Reply
Thanks for posting a picture of your latest jacket. It's a winner!
CatherineN said... (5/25/03 10:58 PM) Reply
This second jacket certainly illustrates how big a difference a change of fabric makes. Looks good on you.
Diane E said... (5/25/03 10:56 PM) Reply
jlg, your new jacket is wonderful. Thanks for sharing the pictures. You're right: the fabrics give the jacket a whole new look and it's really fabulous.
MaryBeth said... (5/25/03 10:24 PM) Reply
Very nice jacket (way kool jacket). I appreciate you adding the picture and thoughts on the West African cloth b/c this is the first feedback I've read on the material. And yipee, you've found a wonderful pattern!
Karen Bowers said... (5/25/03 8:55 PM) Reply
wow! great new jacket! keep up the good work!
jlg said... (3/29/03 9:31 AM) Reply
Thanks everybody for your comments. Hellene, I ordered the shoulder pads from The Sewing Place as you recommended and put them in. They do give a better finish. Thanks. Also, Julia, I was looking for buttons, also at The Sewing Place to try your suggestion. I found a clasp that I thought would look great (it hasn't come yet so I don't know), but I still think your idea is a great one and am going to keep it in mind for the future. Thanks again. Mini, I also like the idea of a brooch. If the clasp works out, I'll try to update the picture. By the way, Ann, I'm planning on getting a clapper next order also.
artistwhosews said... (3/18/03 7:35 PM) Reply
Jlg, I'm very impressed with your jacket. You might want to go down a size. Loes says most people make her stuff a size too big. Re: shoulder pads. LH's shoulder pads sold at The Sewing Place is very small and thin, and I think the Bolero jacket design really needs one or you might get wrinkles diagonally going from shoulder to armhole. Can't tell if this is happening from your photo, tho. Great job. Keep up the sewing.
Georgene said... (3/17/03 1:46 AM) Reply
You can try pressing with a damp cloth, take a look at tips/techniques here at PR. I wrote a tip under "pressing cloth"and then some others gave comments and tips. Look also at some fo the tips on pressing tools as well. Pressing is an art, and pressing for sewing is different than pressing your laundry! You're doing great, keep posting those reviews.
Deepika said... (3/17/03 0:44 AM) Reply
JLG your jacket is just too good! I have this pattern too and you have really inspired me. Thanks for the review and welcome to PatternReview!
Karen Bowers said... (3/17/03 0:38 AM) Reply
sherril, your comment made me look at the photo again. she's built a lot like loes (loes's daughter is the primary model for her line, and her dd looks and is built very much like loes). jlg, i think you've found the pattern designer of choice for you. how cool to have found a design line based on your body type!
Sherril Miller said... (3/16/03 11:28 PM) Reply
I am very impressed with the fit. Not many of us can get a look that good without some alterations. You did a wonderful job. It's quite a lovely jacket.
Diane E said... (3/16/03 11:17 PM) Reply
Your jacket is lovely and you look beautiful! I haven't made the long version of this pattern, and I'm inspired to do so and to wear it with my jeans, as you did in your photo! Very very nice!
GorgeousFabrics said... (3/16/03 10:11 PM) Reply
The jacket looks great on you, JLG! I am with Mini, steam the heck out of the fabric. You might also use a clapper (a wooden tailoring tool, basically a block. You use it to hold the crease in place after steaming until the fabric cools off) -Ann
Karen Bowers said... (3/16/03 9:59 PM) Reply
it looks great! you make me want to get this pattern!
Mini said... (3/16/03 9:24 PM) Reply
I"m glad this worked for you-silk tussah is a very good choice for this pattern. Re pressing: I usually press it lightly with lots of steam. Don't worry too much about getting it totally flat. This fabric has a lot of body to it, so having a bit of "roll" along the seams is natural. Another closure idea is to use a large decorative pin or brooch. I do this with my kimono jackets, and it is nice because I can change it any time I want.
Julia Graham said... (3/16/03 7:50 PM) Reply
JLG, congrats on your first review! Your jacket looks good; I like the light color on you. This pattern has been calling me for months -- I'm going to have to give in and buy the thing one of these days. :-) An idea for closure that doesn't involve buttonholes or actually making the jacket overlap (also useful if something ended up not quite big enough): take a short piece of pretty ribbon, 3/8" or 1/2" wide would work well and about 4" long, and wrap it in half into a loop. Fold the raw edges under a tiny bit and sew them to one side of the jacket, about an inch in from the edge. Sew an attractive button opposite them and wrap the ribbon around it to hold the jacket closed. Sew another button over the ends of the ribbon to disguise them. This kind of closure looks best with buttons on the larger side, an inch or more.

The Technique of Underlining Garments
The Technique of Underlining Garments

by: sassykat

Lolita Patterns Sugar Plum Pattern

Lolita Patterns Sugar Plum Pattern

Jamie Christina Sunny Day Dress and Skirt Pattern (JC308SD)

Jamie Christina Sunny Day Dress and Skirt Pattern (JC308SD)