Pattern Reviews> BurdaStyle Magazine> 10-2007-105 (Dress w. box pleats)

Reviewed by:CynthiaSue

About CynthiaSuestarstarstarstar
Member since: 10/11/03
Posted on:10/30/07 9:47 PM
Last Updated:10/30/07 10:01 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 9 people    Very Helpful by 8 people
Vintage Joan said... (12/8/09 10:27 AM) Reply
Beautiful. But I don't understand -- I have the envelope version of this (7759), and it definitely doesn't say to use stretch fabrics. Or are you saying it SHOULD say this but doesn't? Yikes, going to triple-check my pattern measurements...
cindy-lou said... (11/14/07 7:44 AM) Reply
this dress is beautiful!
Kitty Couture said... (11/2/07 4:09 PM) Reply
Thank you so much for this super-helpful review! Your dress looks fantastic! I so wanted to make this dress but was starting to think maybe it wasn't a good idea.. you are giving me hope again. Thank you so much.
ElsaD said... (11/1/07 2:53 PM) Reply
Thanks for answering my questions. Enjoy wearing your dress. It is beautiful. You gave me incentive to get mine cut out.
Mahogany Stylist said... (11/1/07 1:55 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress and very well done! Thanks for the tips.
yummymummy38 said... (11/1/07 8:51 AM) Reply
you are a walking advertisement for this dress, which did not appeal in the magazine to me. Very versatile dress
Dmd4106 said... (11/1/07 6:19 AM) Reply
Great dress. Great tips as well.
trinicity said... (11/1/07 4:44 AM) Reply
this looks great and good review too, very helpful
mochalover said... (10/31/07 8:00 PM) Reply
I agree with the others, definitely not boring but definitely cute!
CynthiaSue said... (10/31/07 4:20 PM) Reply
Elsa D. and Cidell-yes, bodice one size up (but I do broad back and broad shoulder alteration for myself so this might add room) and hips and waistline are true to size. As stated above I really had to cinch rib/waist in to make it more flattering otherwise it's poofy. I used Collins Stay Tape to stabilize the neck-line. Twill tape will work as well. Yes, vilene is only available in Europe.
ElsaD said... (10/31/07 3:02 PM) Reply
I've just finished tracing out this pattern and making alterations. After Cidell's helpful review, I was conscious of the tightness of the bodice. But noticed that the finished measurements of the waist and hips seem to be quite wide. Could you answer a question about Vilene Bias Tape listed in materials? I've queried it on the internet and it seems to be an iron on bias tape only available in Europe. I asked at a sewing shop and was told narrow twill tape would work. What did you use?
LindsayT said... (10/31/07 2:07 PM) Reply
I'd call this a funeral dress only if you're wearing it to put the moves on the handsome widower! Great job.
michellep74 said... (10/31/07 12:35 PM) Reply
Very cute dress!
Beve said... (10/31/07 12:19 PM) Reply
lovely dress on a lovely girl!
Christina Sonja said... (10/31/07 12:08 PM) Reply
You got a great result with this dress. Wear it often!
tweedcurtain said... (10/31/07 11:54 AM) Reply
What a helpful review and lovely dress. Thank you.
LindsayT said... (10/31/07 10:49 AM) Reply
Cin said... (10/31/07 10:34 AM) Reply
Looks great, perfect for your figure. Good job on the lining and zipper. Looking at the pattern I was concerned the pleats would make one look kinda puffy, but I can see they are placed so that is not the case. You could add a bright belt and shoes to make it pop a little; although I would call it classy, not boring.
squirrellypoo said... (10/31/07 9:07 AM) Reply
boring??? Are you kidding? It's fabulous and so classy!
ryan's mom said... (10/31/07 8:12 AM) Reply
Fabulous!
Nancy K said... (10/31/07 7:29 AM) Reply
I think that it looks lovely on you. It's the perfect backdrop for dressing up or down.
KathleenS said... (10/31/07 4:33 AM) Reply
I love your dress. It looks so much better than the pattern photo, which I didn't actually like.
MarijaSLO said... (10/31/07 1:58 AM) Reply
Great! Everything is great about this PR. The dress is very nice. I would rather wear it for a disco night than a funeral. :)
MissCelie said... (10/31/07 1:55 AM) Reply
It's not boring at all! I love it. It looks great. So, just one size up? Maybe I'll give it another go round.
Heatherrique said... (10/31/07 1:23 AM) Reply
Very attractive dress on you! As Roddy Stewart would sing, "You Wear It Well!"!
kiddo said... (10/31/07 0:55 AM) Reply
Awesome dress!!!
SarahSM said... (10/31/07 0:39 AM) Reply
Fantastic dress! I love the neckline... The magazine didn't really show that off. Thanks for letting us know about the stretch sizing---I recently had the same experience with a Burda WOF pants pattern and it's so annoying!
Seamingly Simple said... (10/30/07 11:50 PM) Reply
I think you'll find this dress to be a winner for more than just funerals. The neckline is very flattering.
Lori V said... (10/30/07 11:25 PM) Reply
Fabulous dress, I don't think it is boring at all. Great job.
HawkeMorningStar7 said... (10/30/07 10:27 PM) Reply
Fabulous dress, you look super in it. Thanks for all the tips etc. This is on my list of 50 billion other items to make LOL !!
Linda G said... (10/30/07 10:22 PM) Reply
Your dress is darling and you did a wonderful job on the construction.
HeyJane said... (10/30/07 10:16 PM) Reply
That looks so well done. And I will add that Power Sewing to the 50 billion books I want to read.
EdnaW said... (10/30/07 10:07 PM) Reply
It looks lovely on you. You can wear it just about anywhere too.
MelissaB in WA said... (10/30/07 10:05 PM) Reply
I LOVE it! I was just looking at this pattern again this morning and hope to find time to make it soon (along with my 50 billion other things!). Looks fantastic on you! :-)
Mahler said... (10/30/07 9:52 PM) Reply
Congratulation, your dress is a big success ! You look fabulous !

Christine Jonson Double Collar Princess Jacket