Online Sewing Class: Understanding Wool Fabrics

About carolynwstarstarstar
Member since: 3/19/05
Posted on:11/3/07 5:40 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 11 people
See other patterns in this category: Coat/Jacket

Vesta Patterns

vestapatterns.com

fuzzygalore said... (11/6/07 5:19 AM) Reply
Last time I did fake fur I used Sandra Betzina's suggestions - zigzag at the edges without seam allowances, less cutting, no hair in the wrong places. It worked great and the jacket's holding up just fine. I recommend it.. Apart from that, I think your jackets looks great, and this looks like a good pattern, so hopefully you'll mellow into it as the winter progresses :-)..
lilyofthevalley said... (11/5/07 11:53 PM) Reply
Ooooo, the photo of this gorgeous coat was calling my name. Then I read your review and decided to temper my enthusiasm. I'll have to be content to envy your sister from a distance. Your reviews are always so full of spirit.
gatorgirl4325 said... (11/5/07 11:15 AM) Reply
Your sister's coat turned out beautifully!
Grammy Gin said... (11/4/07 11:56 AM) Reply
So lovely! Am sure DS is very appreciative & will love it ! You are a good sister, that's a given.
xtreme1 said... (11/4/07 6:03 AM) Reply
Good match of fabric, or fur, to pattern. Works well.
solosmocker said... (11/3/07 9:58 PM) Reply
I think this coat is wonderful. Sorry the fur was such a p-----. Am I doomed to never use that beautiful fur in my stash closet? Not even for a hat?
Mahler said... (11/3/07 9:34 PM) Reply
Congratulation for surviving this sewing experience. You made me laugh a good deal. The coat looks so good. It does not show that you wished all your heart that the experience would be over fast. As I said, the result is beautiful !
GinaSews said... (11/3/07 9:03 PM) Reply
I've had the same experience with fake fur!
Annette1 said... (11/3/07 8:32 PM) Reply
Ha! I'm so glad I took a break to read your review. :o)) I'm "laughing out loud," as they say -- really! I HEAR YA' on the fake fur. I made a fake fur jacket for my niece, and I said NEVER AGAIN. I won't even make a fake fur COLLAR. :o))) BUT, look how nice this coat turned out! It's beautiful, and I know your sister LOVES it -- or else! :o) Great job, as usual, and a very entertaining review, to boot. I can just see you picking all the fur out of the seams with that needle. :o)))
Birgitte said... (11/3/07 7:40 PM) Reply
Superb job on this! And I do sympathize; it's just horrible stuff to work with. Thanks for the laugh, your review is excellent :-)
Kaitlinnegan said... (11/3/07 7:18 PM) Reply
Oh my. I haven't sewn with fake fur yet, but I must say the results look like they are worth all your trouble. The coat looks awesome! You do indeed have a very lucky sister. :)
CarolynGM said... (11/3/07 6:54 PM) Reply
Well, it is just gorgeous! You did a terrific job for your sister. Everytime I'm tempted to buy fake fur, I will read this review. Off to bookmark it right now.
MaryLynn in Long Beach said... (11/3/07 6:48 PM) Reply
You did a wonderful job and will serve as an inspiration to many. YOur sister is a lucky woman.
KathleenS said... (11/3/07 6:33 PM) Reply
lol. I resorted to a dust mask and goggles last time I sewed with fake fur - seriously. Breathing it in was not nice. And that was a much smaller item than this. Your coat is great though. I like how the stripes worked out, especially the way the sleeve stripe flows over the shoulder. I hadn't seen this pattern before and I'm very interested now so thanks for drawing my attention to it.

Understanding Wool Fabrics