Online Sewing Class: The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Pattern Reviews> Textile Studio> 1209 (Monaco Shell)

Reviewed by:Lisa Laree

About Lisa Lareestarstarstarstar
AL USA
Posted on:3/25/03 1:26 AM
Last Updated:4/16/04 3:49 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Needs More Info by 1 people    Very Helpful by 12 people

Sweater knit fabrics

Lisa Laree said... (4/16/04 6:15 PM) Reply

Lisa Laree said... (9/15/03 4:05 PM) Reply
Looks like Vogue finally did the center-seam funnel neck! Thanks, M&M for pointing it out! Let's see if I can get the link to work: Vogue 7799
Rhonda Noah said... (9/13/03 12:16 PM) Reply
Lisa, your tops look terrific; much better than the photo shows on the pattern envelope. I may have to pick this one up.
Diane E said... (9/13/03 10:04 AM) Reply
Lisa, your new tops are lovely (as are you!). Oh how I wish I had that v-neck top in my wardrobe. It would be perfect for today's "heat-wave" weather. I love the way you blended the two sizes to keep the neckline closer-fitting. Brilliant! (and I plan to borrow your wisdom when I make that view of the top).
Lorna C. Newman said... (9/12/03 8:23 PM) Reply
Lisa, I have been looking for a pattern for some brushed lycra that I had to have! I think this is it! Thanks for the review, I think I will get this one ... Now all I need to do is find something to accompany it ...
AnneM said... (9/12/03 7:06 PM) Reply
I have that same (or at least verysimilar) blue FFC fabric. I love the color - better in person than the picture. I like these tops. Your modification of view A seems to have done the trick.
jlg said... (9/12/03 5:52 PM) Reply
Lisa, these tops look great on you. Thanks for the great reviews. When I finally get around to making this pattern, I will refer to your review.
maybbm said... (6/13/03 11:49 AM) Reply
Lisa, it is for knits only. As for a review of this top, I will when I get to it.
Lisa Laree said... (6/13/03 1:18 AM) Reply
Wow, M&M, that IS a very interesting top. From what I could see of the pattern schematic, it looked like it might be cut on the bias. Is it for wovens? That would definitely be something different! You'll have to post a review if you make it!
maybbm said... (6/13/03 0:28 AM) Reply
Lisa, I managed to take some photos of DKNY 2576. Look for it under Pattern at http://photos.yahoo.com/maybbm I now realize that this top is very interesting: Only one piece of pattern required.
Lisa Laree said... (6/3/03 1:03 AM) Reply
Thanks, ladies! *sheepish grin* I love it when I actually end up with something close to what I visualized....I put the top on this morning and 10YO DS commented, "Mom! You have your shirt on inside out!" Obviously, he has inherited his father's fashion sense... :p M&M, I looked for a picture of the Vogue pattern but couldn't find one...it's not in my stash... Now I'm wondering if I could morph on the sleeves from the LH Cowl neck to make a winter version....
maybbm said... (6/1/03 3:07 PM) Reply
Thanks for sharing this info, Lisa. I, too, was interested in that top on the pattern envelope. It sounds like a fun project to do. What do you think of Vogue 2576 top (DKNY OOP unfortunately and I don't have a photo of it at hand)? On the back, its drawing looks very similar to 2698.
Diane E said... (6/1/03 2:37 PM) Reply
Lisa, I love your new top and really appreciate your taking the time to talk us through the design and knock-off process. Wonderful! And a terrific way to get lots more designer mileage out of this great basic pattern. The top (and you!) look mah-velous!
Deepika said... (6/1/03 12:04 PM) Reply
Lisa, I actually like the seam down the middle! Love this top. Looks like I have to add this to my stash! I've found textile studio patterns are mostly close fitting and I like that style :)
MaryBeth said... (6/1/03 9:32 AM) Reply
Lisa: Vertical lines lengthen and slim. Your top looks just wonderful!
CatherineN said... (6/1/03 4:42 AM) Reply
That seam down the front looks attractive and, yes, unique. Pretty fabric too.
Lisa Laree said... (3/28/03 4:43 PM) Reply
Y'know, I kinda thought finishing the edge of the knit was not really necessary, either, but I did it anyway, like a good little girl! It did give a nice, polished look to the inside...until the needle thread popped and it unraveled. I may just skip that step altogether next time! ;)
Diane E said... (3/27/03 3:46 AM) Reply
Lisa, this is a great review and a pretty top! I think this pattern is a great summer staple. I actually don't think you even need to finish the neck facing on a knit. Maybe that's cheating! LOL!
Jennie Pakula said... (3/26/03 8:21 PM) Reply
Lisa, Great review. I love the sound of such a quick project & may even order the pattern... sounds like you US girls have a great range, size of the market etc. I'm always really interested in what is said about the smaller companies as we only really have the big mainstream ones in Australia. Even Kwik-Sew can be a bit tricky to find. Thanks for the inspiration.
Lisa Laree said... (3/25/03 4:24 PM) Reply
The most likely problem with the photo is that it apparently downloaded from the camera with too high a resolution; the file is HUGE! Of course, I deleted the picture from the camera after I got it off, so either I'm going to have to figure out a way to reduce the size of the file or just take another picture and try again. We don't have a photo editor (yet); Paint only cropped it, instead of resizing it. But I'll get it up, one way or another, eventually...;)
Deepika said... (3/25/03 4:15 PM) Reply
Lisa, you can use your FoPR photo album for photos. It's much easier to use.
Deepika said... (3/25/03 4:12 PM) Reply
Great review Lisa! My wish list is growing an at exponential rate ;-)
AnneM said... (3/25/03 1:04 PM) Reply
I can't get past the Vogue model's anorexic arms to appreciate the top. I think I will go cook her a meal! Anyway, great review Lisa. Lots of good information.
Lisa Laree said... (3/25/03 12:19 PM) Reply
Thanks, Ladies! Gigi's KS top is similar, but it isn't a funnel neck so it would be hard to put the seam right up the collar, like the Vogue top. Actually, I was planning to cheat and just flatlock the center front fold so that it looks like a seam...;) . Still working on the photo...
Skymom said... (3/25/03 11:54 AM) Reply
Lisa, I adore that Vogue funnel-neck, too, and also went looking for the pattern in the catalogue! With that CF seam, you might be able to sculpt the collar a bit so that it droops the way you like it. I'll look forward to hearing about your experiments with duplicating it.
KathleenS said... (3/25/03 10:27 AM) Reply
You sound like you're happy enough with this pattern on your quest to duplicate the Vogue picture, but I thought I'd mention another similar pattern - KS2871 - I saw Gigi's review of it yesterday when I was browsing and this reminded me of it straightaway. The Vogue funnel neck is quite unusual when you look at it closely isn't it.
Everyday Sewist said... (3/25/03 10:17 AM) Reply
That Vogue envelope really is misleading! I would have assumed that the top would be included too. Thanks for your review--I'm looking forward to the pictures.

Liesl + Co. SS001CM1