Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 2717 (Wedding Dress)

Reviewed by:ConnieBJ

About ConnieBJstarstar
ON Canada
Member since: 12/31/03
Posted on:11/13/07 10:33 PM
Last Updated:11/19/07 10:13 AM
Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 32 people
See other patterns in this category: Formalwear
leandam said... (12/31/10 8:31 PM) Reply
This review is fantastic. I am about to sew my own daughter's wedding dress and am using this same pattern as the basis. I am having a LOT of trouble finding a pattern with a back lace up so will be using a lot of trial and error. If you have any time at all, suggestions would be treasured like gold coins. If "the dress" turns out even half as well as yours did, I will be a happy Mum. Congratulations on a job beautifully done!
Pyrose said... (2/25/10 3:40 PM) Reply
I am floored and struggling to find the words. This dress is absolutely amazing. It's a dream of mine to be able to make my daughters' wedding dress someday. This dress is truly an inspiration and a testament to your talent.
hartzcreations said... (1/18/10 5:49 PM) Reply
Sorry...the Bride is absolutely gorgeous as well, and the photos... all I can say is unbelievable! You gals really did a great job!
hartzcreations said... (1/18/10 5:47 PM) Reply
hartzcreations said... (1/18/10 5:37 PM) Reply
I think "The Wedding Dress" is absolutely gorgeous!!!!
DiamondBlue said... (10/20/09 3:50 AM) Reply
This dress is absolutely gorgeous!!! Your daughter looks amazing, and I am so admiring all of the work that you put into the gown. The fit at the bustline is flawless. Brava!!!! ♥
MarianS said... (7/1/09 0:17 AM) Reply
Connie, I have a question about this pattern. I'm making my daughter's dress with it. I made some alterations, also: A very soft dip in the neckline, a ruched (sorry) band across the bodice that scoops up at the side back into the neckline, and a gathered insert below the buttons & loops. There are pictures of it on: I'm ready to cut the lining, and I was going to use my muslin of the dress, but I didn't have nearly enough of the China silk lining. The pattern's lining goes fairly straight down from the hips instead of flaring out like the dress. Should I use the more narrow pattern pieces, or buy more lining and let it flare out like the dress? I hope this makes sense. Marian
Marji said... (10/9/08 9:28 AM) Reply
Connie, I haven't seen this til now - STUNNING! Gorgeous, excellent job...every superlative you can think of. This is just fabulous.
Celestial_Seamstress said... (5/5/08 3:24 AM) Reply
I am stunned- this is gorgeous!
Mary Jane Dimino said... (3/31/08 4:13 PM) Reply
You did such a beautiful job! I bought the pattern today to use as the base for daughter No. 3's wedding gown, since the silhouette is right. I am somewhat concerned about the corset. Did you use the foundation in the pattern or from one of the books you recommended? I was considering using a store-bought corset as the base for the bodice. Your descriptionof the process is going to be very helpful. Thanks Mary Jane
shineybuttons said... (1/15/08 7:30 PM) Reply
Excellent work. I just love this dress, it's absolutely beautiful. I have just used this pattern myself, also as a basis for a wedding dress, it is great to use to alter to different styles.
Mandolin82 said... (1/3/08 2:20 AM) Reply
I adore the ruching!!!!!
sewpink said... (1/2/08 9:31 AM) Reply
The Dress is spectacular! Your daughter looked amazing! What a wonderful way to say you bless this wedding. Even after reading your review, your blog and looking at the pictures, I still can't wrap my brain around how you did the ruching. The base of the dress was finished before you added the chiffon? How did you attach the chiffon at the top? How did you finish the chiffon ruching at the lace-up back?
SandraB said... (11/20/07 9:05 PM) Reply
Connie, what a gorgeous dress. I too felt a tear when I looked at the photos. You are truly talented. What a labour of love.
MarionP said... (11/20/07 7:06 PM) Reply
Well done! Beautiful job!
Mary Stiefer said... (11/20/07 12:23 PM) Reply
Beautifully done and with love.
Ronda Rae said... (11/20/07 5:35 AM) Reply
Stunning! I like the one of your mother's hands, too. It will be a great remind to you and your daughter. What a labor of love!!!
Anabolina said... (11/19/07 6:21 PM) Reply
She looks beautiful. Congrats to you all.
Lisa76 said... (11/19/07 2:20 PM) Reply
Divine! Divine! Divine!
slee said... (11/19/07 2:09 PM) Reply
I absolutely love the dress. The ruching is beautiful. Your daughter is so lucky!
jaeng said... (11/19/07 1:35 PM) Reply
Wow, it is absolutely beautiful. I'm speechless.
Carolyndh said... (11/19/07 12:11 PM) Reply
Wow, what a legacy of love and affection portrayed in this truly gorgeous work of art. Have you thought about entering your work into a "show" that features formal wear. Many people would admire your artwork!
OP Gal said... (11/19/07 11:33 AM) Reply
What a labor of love. The dress is jaw-dropping. The ruching is amazing, really making the dress special. How luck your daughter is! Thank you for all the details of the project. I don't anticipate that I'll ever make a wedding dress, but it was a joy to read your review.
Rhonda in Montreal said... (11/19/07 9:56 AM) Reply
Connie, this is much more than a dress, eh! An heirloom, an event, a special, special memory... I'm so glad three generations in your Family participated! Gorgeous dress!! Just gorgeous!
EleanorSews said... (11/19/07 9:27 AM) Reply
Just stunning! What a remarkably lovely gown and bride). This is one of those times when it would not have mattered what it took, just that it happened. You, your daugter and your mother will treasure this experience forever. One down and 4 to go...
marjenann said... (11/19/07 9:04 AM) Reply
A masterpiece!!! So inspiring, thanks for sharing!
sewingfordolls said... (11/19/07 8:59 AM) Reply
That is a beautiful dress and you did a beautiful job...Your bride is beautiful in that fabulous dress.
cindy-lou said... (11/19/07 8:45 AM) Reply
Connie-- PLEASE enlarge and frame the picture of your mother's hands adding the sequins to the dress. it deserves a special place in your home--I got tears in my eyes seeing that picture and knowing the story behind it! Again, gorgeous dress, gorgeous day, and a gorgeous family you have created.
dreamdesigner said... (11/17/07 3:47 PM) Reply
WOW! WOW! WOW! Breathtakingly beautiful! Thank so much for all the info. I doubt I'll ever make any of my dd's wedding dresses (I have 3) but the younger two *might* let me do prom again. I feel I know a LOT more now that I've been perusing PR for a year or so.
hongkongshopper said... (11/16/07 4:47 PM) Reply
The Dress is amazingly stunning!!! Thanks for a great review.
Mahogany Stylist said... (11/16/07 11:54 AM) Reply
Absolutely exquisite! Thank you for tutorial.
2BSewing said... (11/16/07 6:04 AM) Reply
Wow! Your daughter's wedding dress is absolutely gorgeous. You've done a wonderful job and I thoroughly enjoyed your review and pictures.
yummymummy38 said... (11/15/07 9:18 PM) Reply
absolutely sensational, you make me want to get married all over again, and in this dress!
swing like a girl said... (11/15/07 6:22 PM) Reply
Grammy Gin said... (11/15/07 9:01 AM) Reply
Such a gorgeous gown & bride. You surely have reason to be proud of this, your first beautiful wedding gown to be made. Talented!!! ;-)
Marilyn N. said... (11/15/07 0:07 AM) Reply
Your review is inspiring and the dress in incredible!
Membear said... (11/14/07 5:39 PM) Reply
thankyou so much for that review . That will become an heirloom I am sure . The ruching is superb and the whole design just beautiful
J-Girl said... (11/14/07 4:39 PM) Reply
Amazing. Major kudos.
edupraz said... (11/14/07 3:16 PM) Reply
Wow, this is so amazing. I'm in the process of planning my own wedding and looking for dresses (or trying to decide if I want to make my own). This was so helpful and inspirational to me - you truly made your daughter's dreams come true, I'm sure!
ConnieBJ said... (11/14/07 2:17 PM) Reply
Or you can see some photos on the photographers blog. kates pictures are right there.
ConnieBJ said... (11/14/07 2:15 PM) Reply
There are some photos of the dress on my blog I will be posting all of the photos for this review there as well soon. I have a feeling my photoediting software may be the culprit
tentmaker said... (11/14/07 1:10 PM) Reply
For some reason I am forbidden to see the pictures. can you fix it?
cmarie12 said... (11/14/07 12:46 PM) Reply
ohmygosh that was such a labor of love and your daughter looked absolutely amazing in the dress!
JAJenkins1971 said... (11/14/07 12:10 PM) Reply
All I can say is WOW!!!
gatorgirl4325 said... (11/14/07 10:20 AM) Reply
Absolutely beautiful - there are no words to describe That Dress!
Angelia74 said... (11/14/07 9:51 AM) Reply
WOW!!! This is amazing.. you should be so proud... and your daughter is so lucky!!
Sigrid. said... (11/14/07 9:24 AM) Reply
I share the comments of the others: amazing beautiful work. Your daughter looks wonderful in this great dress. So much love in one dress! This certainly means that you have 4 more wedding dresses to make in the future.
cindyann said... (11/14/07 9:06 AM) Reply
Thank you so much for sharing this with us. It is exquisitely beautiful! I'm so happy you displayed pictures of bodice construction. I'd been wondering how you accomplished that. The picture of your mothers hands brought tears to my eyes. I can see why you cherish it. BRAVO!
Betsybobbin said... (11/14/07 8:52 AM) Reply
What an beautiful accomplishment! I especially love that three generations worked on this dress. Thank you for sharing!
LisaAnn said... (11/14/07 8:17 AM) Reply
This dress is stunning! You did a phenomenal job!
Lori V said... (11/14/07 7:13 AM) Reply
This is so stunning. Your work is beautiful.
MissCelie said... (11/14/07 6:43 AM) Reply
Stunning. Just stunning. Wow.
Sew4Fun said... (11/14/07 6:40 AM) Reply
Absolutely, postively amazing, not to mention beautiful!! The amount of workmanship is phenominal. Truly a labour of love. You have set the benchmark high for your other daughters. :)
MarilynB said... (11/14/07 6:31 AM) Reply
Thank you for sharing your sewing adventure. The dress is absolutely beautiful. True couture.
Shrazzy said... (11/14/07 5:12 AM) Reply
What a beautiful dress and a beautiful bride as well! Inspiring.
F and L said... (11/14/07 4:23 AM) Reply
Oh my goodness. I'm breathless. That is just exquisite. Really unbelievable.
MarijaSLO said... (11/14/07 3:05 AM) Reply
Amazing. The dress and the bride, both are just wonderful! Great work and great wedding. :)
Cecile Owens said... (11/14/07 2:02 AM) Reply
Connie, I was so pleased to see this review. I think I am the person from whom you bought your MOB pattern via Pattern Review. If I remember the pattern correctly, it was Butterick. I checked your Blog site and the one picture of you looked like that dress. I would love it if you can do a review of the dress you wore for the wedding. Your daughter's dress is elegant and I'm quite sure yours was, too. Thanks so much for the details. A++++++ This is a work to behold. I would call it an Work of Art.
SewLil said... (11/14/07 0:28 AM) Reply
This almost made me cry. Love the pic of your mother's hands. This is beautiful!
ConnieBJ said... (11/13/07 11:08 PM) Reply
ConnieBJ said... (11/13/07 11:07 PM) Reply
Clin - try them again- i could fix all but the one of Kate and Scott- he must be camera shy! I will also get them on my blog in the next few days.
Karen6790 said... (11/13/07 11:06 PM) Reply
How did you have the strength to get to PR Weekend after that? I'd still be at home resting on my triumphant - and tired - laurels. Absolutely fabulous, as if there were any doubt.
carolynw said... (11/13/07 11:05 PM) Reply
Connie this is truly awesome - unfortunately I cannot get the last three pictures as a note comes up saying "forbidden" - would really love to see them. Such a beautiful dress - beautiful bride and I am in awe of the work put into the dress. How proud your daughter must be!
AnneMarie60 said... (11/13/07 10:52 PM) Reply
Connie: Amazing dress! It was certainly made with love along with tremendous talent. I love the photo of your dear mother's hands. It made me tear up. What a special family you have. Congratulations on a job very well done!
cindy-lou said... (11/13/07 10:45 PM) Reply
Connie, its beauty floors me. You are an artist! How proud you must be of your daughter and your work.
sewbehind said... (11/13/07 10:44 PM) Reply
Connie, that is a work of art! I do agree. What a beautiful dress. What a memory for your daughter. I'm in awe.

by: sewingdiet