Pattern Reviews> McCall's> 5384 (Easy McCall's)

Reviewed by:zeoplum

Posted on:11/22/07 11:26 PM
Pattern Size:Plus-Sized

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 14 people
Wilzmom said... (1/10/08 8:38 AM) Reply
You are talented! The final top looks great. Thanks for the details on how to make it fit properly!!
Cody7 said... (12/25/07 5:19 PM) Reply
I think the end result is very pretty. The fabric you chose is perfect for this type of top. I have just finished making it myself and encountered the same problems you did. I wish I had read your review first!
meanjean said... (11/25/07 8:44 AM) Reply
I bought this pattern but haven't tried it yet. Thanks for a very thorough review. Your end result is very, very pretty. By the way, no one but you will notice if it pokes out in front, so wear it with confidence. Those of us who spend a lot of time fitting (me! me!) are our own worst critics sometimes (me! me!). :-)
Annette1 said... (11/24/07 1:01 AM) Reply
Geez ... how embarrassing. Look how LONG my comment (above) was! Sorry about that. :o)
Annette1 said... (11/24/07 1:00 AM) Reply
I was sitting here with my hair up in a towel reading your review, looking at all your pictures and going to the thread you linked, when I finally decided I'd better go comb out my hair. Then I was thinking so hard about all the alterations you've made, etc., I pulled my DEODERANT out of the medicine cabinet instead of the MOUSSE, and stood there in a stuper, wondering what I was supposed to be doing with that deoderant. :o) With that in mind, you may not want to listen to anything I have to say at all -- ha! At any rate, YES, this most certainly IS a success, and I certainly do admire your perseverence. "I made all three before I got it right." :o)) As for your comment about it "poking out" too much when it hangs naturally, I would guess that's a combination of the fabric having some degree of crispness to it and that perhaps the gathers are a little bit too close to the bustline. IF you ever decided to make this top again, you might try making that top piece slightly longer in the front to alleviate that. You could just free-hand draw it so that by the time you got to the center front, your top piece was about an inch or inch and a half longer than it currently is. That should lower the elastic slightly (if I'm envisioning the pattern pieces right). I know, I know, who asked me anyway? I think this top looks great on you just the way it is anyway! It's not nearly as easy as one would think to make these extremely loose-fitting tops look flattering. I know I've caught myself a couple times making so many alterations that I was practically making a different thing altogether, so I finally had to ask myself, well then, why DON'T you just MAKE something else altogether and forget it? :o) (A pair of pants, most recently, comes to mind.) Your stick-to-it-iveness has certainly paid off on this one. I love your fabric, and you've managed to actually build some shape into what would have otherwise (in the XXL and XL sizes) just been an overabundance of fabric. Bravo!
cindy-lou said... (11/23/07 5:13 PM) Reply
Beautiful job! Being meticulous has its rewards (not that I would know...) :)
Leora said... (11/23/07 4:04 PM) Reply
You really put the work into creating this great top. Very pretty!!
Mufffet said... (11/23/07 1:17 PM) Reply
After all that effort you have a really pretty top! I love your fabric! It is so soft and pretty! Congratulations on a job well done. :)
mastdenman said... (11/23/07 10:18 AM) Reply
Cute. I have this pattern and have been thinking about making it up.
OP Gal said... (11/23/07 9:57 AM) Reply
Great job. Good for you for sticking with it and getting it to fit. I've been sewing for years, but feel I'm a beginner at fitting. You're starting out on the right foot by concentrating on fitting. Keep up the good work!
carolynw said... (11/23/07 9:16 AM) Reply
You deserve a "star" for sticking with this and you can now rest on your laurels as it looks really nice.
Betsybobbin said... (11/23/07 9:14 AM) Reply
You ended up with great results! You look very nice!
Peggy L said... (11/23/07 8:21 AM) Reply
Cute top - you really worked with this pattern to your advantage.
Sew_Creative said... (11/23/07 6:42 AM) Reply
Don't worry about the way it comes over your tummy like that it really is a nice top, as a matter of fact I was on Bravo.com looking at the project runway stuff last night, and they have an online contest , you have to send in a picture by the 28th of every month and the winner will receive a larger chocolate bar and a dvd of previous seasons I know it's not a big prize but how many people can say they won an on line contest with project runway, and your top could win,anyway u should ck it out. Debbie
ITAdmin said... (11/23/07 6:23 AM) Reply
I'd call it a success, very pretty in that fabric.
Sigrid. said... (11/23/07 2:12 AM) Reply
Lovely blouse, worth your perseverance. I would have given up after two muslins!
Trinity. said... (11/23/07 1:46 AM) Reply
I think it looks very pretty on you, and I love the eyelet!
Donna H said... (11/23/07 1:45 AM) Reply
Wow, great job on your blouse. I love the fabric, too. Way to stick with it!!! :)
EleanorSews said... (11/22/07 11:35 PM) Reply
Congratulations for sticking with this through so many muslins! It is a pretty top, and deceptively simple in the way it looks made up. The adjustments are not so simple. I'm glad you plan to wear the top because it does look very nice on you.

by: emr