Online Sewing Class: Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Pattern Reviews> BurdaStyle Magazine> 11-2007-109 (Cocktail dress)

Reviewed by:Seamingly Simple

Last Updated:11/24/07 1:03 AM
Pattern Size:Petite
Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 25 people
kerrynw said... (10/2/08 10:44 PM) Reply
Gorgeous dress, great review! My daughter has picked out this pattern for me to make to wear to her graduation. Now to get sewing. I have exactly three weeks!
Laura O said... (1/15/08 12:13 PM) Reply
Thank you for the great inside picture of this dress. I'm making it right now & I wondered what they meant by 'turn down the corner on the lower front piece'. They should have said turn down the center front point. I will make a note of that if I ever finish and review it!!!
Kitty Couture said... (12/7/07 9:51 AM) Reply
Beautiful dress, and fun review!
Vonnevo said... (12/7/07 8:30 AM) Reply
A fabulous dress and wonderful review :))) Enjoy partying in this little number !
Deb Thompson said... (12/5/07 1:47 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress - I've been eyeing it up myself for our cruise next spring. Nice to see another O&G person from Alberta on this site! I'm in Cgy with an American O&G company. Look forward to more reviews.
SandraB said... (12/4/07 8:44 AM) Reply
Your dress looks gorgeous and I loved reading your review. Very entertaining.
Miss Adrienne said... (12/3/07 9:31 PM) Reply
Ha! What a great review! Thank you, Ms. Simple!
CSM--Carla said... (11/26/07 6:55 PM) Reply
ovely dress! Fun to read the review! Thanks!
gatorgirl4325 said... (11/26/07 12:02 PM) Reply
Absolutely beautiful!! You really combined those fabrics for the maximum WOW factor! Great job! And, your sewing inspector is rather handsome!
Danvillegirl said... (11/26/07 6:57 AM) Reply
Gorgeous dress! Looks great on you.
yummymummy38 said... (11/25/07 10:02 PM) Reply
stunning dress, Ms Simple. I have my eye on this one, I have already made a BWOF cocktail dress with a similar crossover detail, but this one sounds easier to construct. Thanks for the helpful inside pics too Can't wait for this issue to come Down Under
Christina Sonja said... (11/25/07 3:48 PM) Reply
What a gorgeous dress! And you look great in it! Your trio of fabrics make it really special.
Seamingly Simple said... (11/25/07 10:49 AM) Reply
Big thank-yous to all of you for your comments. Regarding sizing, I should have clarified that the size 20 is Burda's equivalent for a US 12 petite. Burda's size charts are here.
Sewing Chick said... (11/25/07 8:33 AM) Reply
That was a great review! Beautiful dress and a fun interview!
BillieJean said... (11/25/07 5:52 AM) Reply
I just love your reviews! And the dress is beautiful.
ElsaD said... (11/25/07 0:12 AM) Reply
Wow! This is beautiful. Have fun at the party.
Heatherrique said... (11/24/07 11:53 PM) Reply
Hey, Se-Uma-ingly Simple, I'm speechless! Super review! This is absolutely an alluring dress on your cute figure (You look well under a size 10, but 20?) and also an attention grabber as that highly publicized hot black one at the Swarovski Fashion Rocks event a month ago! You're tempting me to try Burda WOF (amazon.com is calling my name to order a year subscription)! You've inspired me to make New Look 6729's criss cross top that has been sitting in my stash! Thanks for sharing another fabulous creation!
northern nasturtium said... (11/24/07 8:40 PM) Reply
What a lovely dress and fun review! :D If I may say so, I would never, ever have guessed that dress was a size 20 (I'm a petite-ish 18 myself.) So flattering! Maybe I'll have to spring for an issue of Burda WOF.
J-Girl said... (11/24/07 6:08 PM) Reply
Your dress is lovely, and your review was hilarious! Thank you!
Sigrid. said... (11/24/07 5:22 PM) Reply
Ms Simple, it's wonderful. Beautifully made and very stylish. What a special sewing inspector :-) Does he ever find fault with your choices?
michellep74 said... (11/24/07 4:23 PM) Reply
Your dress looks amazing, and you look amazing in your dress! Thank you for a very funny review, too!
MelissaB in WA said... (11/24/07 2:03 PM) Reply
Looks fantastic - I love your "interview" reviews - they are a hoot! :-)
Tailypo said... (11/24/07 12:38 PM) Reply
Holy cow that is beautiful and fancy!
Diane E said... (11/24/07 12:16 PM) Reply
I loved reading this review and I love your dress. Wow! I think Steve needs to think of a few more swanky places to take you so that you and this dress get a proper showing! Inspired use of sari fabric - great!
Debbie Cook said... (11/24/07 11:32 AM) Reply
Hilarious review! Gorgeous dress!
Kay Y said... (11/24/07 11:25 AM) Reply
Your last 2 reviews are just so entertaining! Steve and his love of skimpy dresses is a terrific creation, as is your wonderful dress. Wear it with pride!
lmg said... (11/24/07 11:16 AM) Reply
Oooh! Beautiful dress and color, and the combination of fabrics! I was contemplating making this dress and your review will come in very handily.
Grammy Gin said... (11/24/07 11:00 AM) Reply
You look stunning & your review is so much fun to read! You will certainly be turning heads at your party. ;-)
2BSewing said... (11/24/07 10:48 AM) Reply
The dress is stunning! Wonderful work and details.
sandrasdaughter said... (11/24/07 10:33 AM) Reply
This is a beautiful dress!
cathy45 said... (11/24/07 10:33 AM) Reply
I love how you incorporated three different fabrics into one cohesive beautiful dress. Excellent work. I can tell the fabric inspector was critical to your success.
AnneMarie60 said... (11/24/07 10:08 AM) Reply
Magnificent! I viewed all of your dress photos before I read your entertaining review, and I was amazed at that point. Then, to realize that you'd used three different fabrics to achieve a spectacular look, I was in awe of you. Ms. Simple, you are anything but!
Betsybobbin said... (11/24/07 9:59 AM) Reply
What a beautiful and creative dress! Your review was informative and entertaining.
PegL said... (11/24/07 9:58 AM) Reply
Beautiful dress! Why did you leave out the part where Steve hits on you?! 'Cause you know he did! Fun review!
Frogstitcher said... (11/24/07 9:32 AM) Reply
Lady in Red, your dress is a knockout. One can see that it fits you perfectly and only with one alteration at that! Who could ask for more from a pattern. Your work womanship shines through on this one. Absolutely beautiful!
carolynw said... (11/24/07 9:32 AM) Reply
Once again I am so amused by your style of review - wear your lovely dress with all the bling you can afford or want - you look absolutely stunning in it!
BeckyC said... (11/24/07 9:30 AM) Reply
Your dress is beautiful. The combination of the three fabrics worked out wonderfully for the style of the dress -- great job! Again, your review was informative and entertaining - I loved reading it!
MissCelie said... (11/24/07 9:19 AM) Reply
This dress is awesome. I love Steve. And I looove how this looks on you. No one is ging to think that you are an engineer that night!
Leora said... (11/24/07 9:06 AM) Reply
Clever use of fabric! It looks hard to make even without all the extras you incorporated, such as lining. Gorgeous!
Linda G said... (11/24/07 8:49 AM) Reply
wow I have been waiting for someone to review this dress. Yours is beautiful...if I was 10 years younger I would be whipping one up for my Christmas party.
cindy-lou said... (11/24/07 8:44 AM) Reply
I'm with Steve-- GREAT work on this dress!!! I'm in awe.
Lori V said... (11/24/07 7:02 AM) Reply
Very beautiful
Sew_Creative said... (11/24/07 6:56 AM) Reply
yep this is the dress for you , and you should make another one and maybe make it long like a formal with an a line flowie skirt that would be awesome! too, but you definitely knocked this one out of the ball park and the review is so easy to read love that.
jent said... (11/24/07 6:23 AM) Reply
What a cute dress!
fuzzygalore said... (11/24/07 6:11 AM) Reply
Ms Simple is definitely working up to a Pulitzer :-). And she already has the perfect dress to wear to receive her award.. Even better that it comes with its own built-in red-carpet effect!
valerie sews said... (11/24/07 5:09 AM) Reply
ooh ahh I'll be looking out for this issue of burda Wof here down under. What a beautiful dress for those of us who are petite. Thank you for an informative review.
Karen8320 said... (11/24/07 4:27 AM) Reply
Ms Simple, I just love your work!!! Your review, once again, is simply fantastic and I love your clever mind and good humour. I must say that this dress is stunning and it looks fabulous on you. Red is such a knockout colour and I think the use of three fabrics really does give it an added zing. You've done a fabulous job!
Skye said... (11/24/07 2:33 AM) Reply
beautiful dress
JenniferBee said... (11/24/07 1:53 AM) Reply
You have achieved the WOW factor with this dress. Love your review, and the fabrics are gorgeous.
PatM said... (11/24/07 1:18 AM) Reply
What a lovley dress, just designed for the fabrics you bought. It like it cost hundreds of dollars. It fits you well too, and looks great when you are wearing it. Congratulations on the beatiful dress1

Pattern Work