Pattern Reviews> Loes Hinse Designs> 5203 (Cowl Top)

Reviewed by:OP Gal

Last Updated:12/5/07 8:42 PM
Pattern Size:Plus-Sized Regular
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 13 people

Annette1 said... (12/8/07 1:49 AM) Reply
:o))) Well, this may have been a nightmare for YOU, but I sure had fun reading your review! I'm with you, that COLOR is just beautiful. It looks so pretty on you, it's well worth all your efforts. :o)
Grammy Gin said... (12/7/07 12:49 PM) Reply
Love your review! Shame you had so much trouble with sewing it....the materials fault, don't you think? Pretty top though & your still smiling! ;-)
LindsayT said... (12/6/07 1:45 PM) Reply
I so feel your pain. I just gave up on my own "easy peasy" tunic with fabric courtesy of Joann's. But at least YOUR end result looks good!
Luckylibbet said... (12/6/07 11:28 AM) Reply
Terrific review! And I love, love, love that color on you, so the project was definitely worth all the pain
gatorgirl4325 said... (12/6/07 10:08 AM) Reply
I say all the trouble was caused by that knit from JoAnn! (Ask me how I know this - I just sewed up a top with the very same knit and had all kinds of trouble!) Your top turned out lovely and the color couldn't be any better for you!
fuzzygalore said... (12/6/07 9:20 AM) Reply
Oh, I hate it when the muslin goes well and the real thing bombs so badly :-(. It's really disheartening. That rayon jersey is so much finer and stretchier than everything else that it really needs to be treated differently. I have to wonder though about all this interfacing of hems I read about on PR - have any of you -ever- seen that in RTW? If you think you need it, it's because you need to adjust your machine differently, or use a different stitch or something (2-needle?). Maybe make the hem wider to give it a bit of heft. Something, anything, but not use a jacket-tailoring technique on a t-shirt...
Marita Kinnula said... (12/6/07 8:58 AM) Reply
I can understand the no Joann's rule but can very well relate to the fact that one goes there just the same, the color is gorgeus:-) and yes easy and simple always ain't. Marita
said... (12/6/07 8:29 AM) Reply
I enjoyed your review. I can definitely relate to easy not being easy. Looks great so I'm glad you hung in there!
cecelia said... (12/6/07 8:26 AM) Reply
I had similar things happen with this pattern, and finally morphed it into a shorter version. LH does have very narrow sleeves, for me anyway. Why is it things work on samples, but not on the garment itself? At least you ended up with a top you can wear, and you're even smiling irregardless of your trials and tribulations with this!
marjenann said... (12/6/07 8:11 AM) Reply
OMG!! What a great review!! You top looks great and that is what is important in the end!!!
Ronda Rae said... (12/6/07 5:42 AM) Reply
Sondra- despite the trouble it looks very good. The great thing about sewing our own clothes is that a lot of times when we get dressed in the morning, what we choose to wear can bring back memories that can make us smile. ; )
sweetviolets said... (12/6/07 3:07 AM) Reply
Now that the stars are back in alignment, and you've paid your Karmic debt, the next project will be a breeze! This pattern is on my cutting table, and now I will attack it with a wise eye and offerings to the sewing gods.
Sherril Miller said... (12/5/07 10:59 PM) Reply
Sondra, I'm so sorry it gave you so many problems. That rib knit wasn't very good to let you know how this was going to fit you. I love this pattern, but the cowl neck is trouble, so definitely alter it along with the sleeve width and I'm sure you'll love it too.
mastdenman said... (12/5/07 10:31 PM) Reply
Great looking top (and jacket too). Sometimes the sewing gods just make us want to work harder. Congratulations.
cmarie12 said... (12/5/07 9:47 PM) Reply
*LOL* What a great review! It brought a smile to my face and I had to go back and check to see that you were actually wearing the top! BTW, that top doesn't look traumatized by its birth at all!