Pattern Reviews> Kwik Sew> 2693 (Men's Swim Trunks)

Reviewed by:Jules/Vancouver BC

Last Updated:7/14/03 1:29 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 5 people
See other patterns in this category: Mens - Swimwear / Activewear
CindyK said... (7/14/03 3:52 PM) Reply
Used the advice from your review and made my husband a pair using a print supplex from Wazoodle (they have several nice prints in supplex and tactel) and the simplest pattern. He loves them -- runs then swims without changing. I used drawstring elastic in the waist. They dry very quickly. I'm about to make another pair.
PhyllisC said... (7/14/03 12:03 PM) Reply
......I almost never match my serger thread if it won't show....for the same reason.
Tessa said... (4/11/03 3:35 PM) Reply
I have made a similar boys' pattern (KS2132) in several sizes and really liked it too. But, for swim trunks, I saved myself some trouble and didn't bother with pockets. I found stretching the elastic a bit difficult too, but I don't have a good solution.
KathleenS said... (4/7/03 6:45 PM) Reply
Great tip about the pocket! It sounds like a good pattern and it's great that your husband likes them - isn't it satisfying when what you make gets worn :)
Jules/Vancouver BC said... (4/7/03 6:44 PM) Reply
kittykate, I got the fabrics at Fabricana, one of the local chains (more expensive than Fabricland, but the staff are more knowledgeable and easier to find, plus they have KS patterns). I don't think I'd be able to find an elastic foot for my 50+ year old machine, but maybe I'll look into that when I finally break down and get something new. LOL with Mary - y'know, it helps that he absolutely had to have swim trunks (we were going to a hot spring resort, after all) and there was NO way he was going to squeeze into his old pair! This time of year, finding swimwear without paying through the nose is almost impossible, so he was kind of forced to wear them anyway! BTW - I had planned on making the pattern that you have (mostly cuz I liked the idea of getting a shirt pattern too) but they didn't have it in stock. Now I'm glad I made the one I did, given the husbandperson's "figure".
Mbarkle said... (4/7/03 2:15 PM) Reply
Jules, last summer I made KS2417 which is similar except a little shorter and less full. (I have a skinny dh who is overwhelmed by too much fabric.) I used a microfiber on the outside and coolmax for the liner. It looks nice but he never wears it. And he was asking the other day why I never make him anything! Maybe if I let him pick the fabric . . .
kittykate said... (4/7/03 1:44 PM) Reply
Where did you buy the swimsuit fabric? Was it mail order? I only have a local fabric (quilter's really) store and I have this pattern, just no fabric yet. When I took a swimsuit class last year, the instructor demonstrated an elastic foot, it holds the elastic and you adjust the tension of it by twisting a knob. It took some fiddling to figure out how much twist would give the 1:1, 2:1 ratios etc. I didn't buy one because it's too expensive for my old machine and I still stretch by hand. It was demonstrated on a Husquevarna serger, but are available for more recent sewing and serger machines. Nice project.!
Jules/Vancouver BC said... (4/7/03 10:37 AM) Reply
Tonya, the lining is like a pair of jockey shorts - keeps "his stuff" from flopping around for all to see...*grin* Most RTW has this sort of lining - at least everything I've seen that qualified as "trunks" - as opposed to the Speedo type suit - and that's NOT something I'd recommend for the majority of those endowed with a Y chromosome!
Tonya said... (4/7/03 10:26 AM) Reply
LOL@husbandperson and his antics. Aren't they funny? Very thorough amd helpful review; I bet my husbandperson would like this pattern as well. Is the lining full-length? I'm having a difficult time picturing an elastic leg on the lining... maybe I'll dig out DH's RTW trunks and see if they do that too. Anyway, fun review, thanks!

All About Linings