Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 4076 (Knit top [tunic-ized by me])

Reviewed by:cindy-lou

Last Updated:12/27/07 3:53 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 7 people
See other patterns in this category: Vests    Tops
Lisa Laree said... (8/23/08 10:31 AM) Reply
I'm late to this show...I just stumbled onto the photo today and thought it looked Done On Purpose and looked at the review to see how...little did I suspect this was a salvage! It looks great, but I did have an idea of what could be done 'next time' to avoid the wrinkles a bit...try drafting a U-shaped neckline. The bias band idea suggested by kiddo is a good idea, too, but for something really unstable an on-grain, but shaped, neckline would probably be better. The straight band on this top (it's one of my faves, too!) wouldn't lend itself to being interfaced and then bent around. Just my 2 cents!
kiddo said... (5/18/08 2:25 PM) Reply
I really like the fact you made this into a tunic. The neckband will fall more flat without crinkles if you use a bias band. The band would have to be stretched and shaped with your iron. Stretching prevents the bias from stretching out in a weird way. In any case, I love the tunic idea!
cecelia said... (12/30/07 4:21 PM) Reply
I'm glad you made this work because it looks so cute on you--I love the fabric, and I too have the same problem of trying to stick with basics, so I bring my sister along! Wonderful save.
AnneMarie60 said... (12/28/07 7:15 PM) Reply
You ended up designing a very stylish tunic! Great job. I love the fabric, and the top's perfect paired with leggings.
lilyofthevalley said... (12/28/07 6:10 PM) Reply
Without regard to how you 'got there,' this top/tunic is charming, charming, charming on you. I love it! --Lily
Grammy Gin said... (12/28/07 3:55 PM) Reply
The little wrinkles & gathers look good, IMHO. Good save ;-)
OP Gal said... (12/28/07 10:02 AM) Reply
I think it looks great. You look so cute in it. Nice save, I'd say.
crazygrad said... (12/28/07 9:45 AM) Reply
cute- nice print on that fabric!
ChristineBR said... (12/28/07 8:39 AM) Reply
I think it looks absolutely great. Honestly, I thought that the 'wrinkles' were a design feature and liked them.
MissCelie said... (12/28/07 7:52 AM) Reply
Personally, I think you saved it. I think it looks cute and look you drafting patterns! And I do not support this not buying prints thing! Go down the path of color and light!
ryan's mom said... (12/27/07 11:40 PM) Reply
Cindy, I absolutely love your new version! What a great save.
Karen6790 said... (12/27/07 10:05 PM) Reply
The gremlins were working WAY overtime this year, but you took this one back. It may not look like what you originally intended, but you came up with a really cute top and salvaged that fabulous fabric. (I thought about buying that one myself).
marjenann said... (12/27/07 8:02 PM) Reply
Wow!! That was a really clever idea, turning the top in a tunic!! I think it looks great!!!!
Kay Y said... (12/27/07 7:11 PM) Reply
Well, I like it! I would have fallen for the great print too - but maybe wouldn't have made such a cute tunic. I am not sure what I would suggest for stabilizing your next effort (out of such fabric) - maybe clear elastic, or maybe fusible knit interfacing in the neck band only?
carolynw said... (12/27/07 7:03 PM) Reply
Oh Cindy this looks so nice and what a great save - are you like me starting to believe the sewing gremlins were hard at work (plus over time) leading up to the Christmas season?
Elemenopeo said... (12/27/07 5:58 PM) Reply
It's cute on you!
bluenines said... (12/27/07 5:41 PM) Reply
great save!!!! i like how you have turned a lemon into lemonade
Heatherrique said... (12/27/07 5:30 PM) Reply
I really like this look, CindyLou! You are so innovative!
frame said... (12/27/07 4:12 PM) Reply